PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS ways and Poor Health

Options

Comments

• CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,771 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning all. I'm cleaning today (slowly because it hurts) and having a housey kind of day. The kitchen is done so I'm having a tea break before I start on the living room. The floors will have to be swept rather than vacuumed as the Dyson is upstairs and I don't think that trying to carry it down is a good plan just yet. I went to see my gp yesterday. He gave me painkillers and sent me for x-rays but it doesn't look like I've broken anything luckily.

My next door neighbour's dog is a staffy. If he's in the alleyway when I'm putting the washing out he gets a couple of biscuits out of the cat bowl. You'd think he hadn't been fed for weeks or they were a super treat the way he behaves :rotfl:
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Old Wives used to tell New Wives to drink raspberry leaf tea for both menstrual cramps and to make childbirth easier.........:rotfl: I didn't find out till after I had had my babies so can't comment about the childbirth bit.

Apparently ginger is a good anti inflammatory so yes I can see that it would ease menstrual cramps. I try and drink ginger tea but sometimes it upsets my poor old tummy (I know it's just very delicate and rather temperamental, anything sets it off). I tend to add ginger to stir fries etc - seems to make it easier to digest.

But I'm sure the massage will have helped you, relaxing the muscles to minimise cramps. Can you swim. Swimming regularly is apparently one of the best things for menstrual pain.

Still feeling sore and stiff so just about to have a nice soak in the bath. I find that one of the best therapies for me. I dread the day when I can no longer manage a bath. A shower just doesn't do it for me.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I want to get my flu jab too, I've been having it at the pharmacy over the past few years as I was a carer for my husband so it was free there. I wonder if I get it at the GP now I have fibro. Another thing to ask my poor GP when I see him.:D
    I don't know if Fibro is on the list of illnesses that qualify for a free flu jab or not; lupus is not, which my GP was surprised and somewhat indignant about; so Mr LW gets a flu jab (he's my Carer and also over 65), and I don't.
    CRANKY40 wrote: »
    My next door neighbour's dog is a staffy. If he's in the alleyway when I'm putting the washing out he gets a couple of biscuits out of the cat bowl. You'd think he hadn't been fed for weeks or they were a super treat the way he behaves :rotfl:
    He's probably as pleased to get the attention as the treat itself; Staffies just want to be loved. :o
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Re raspberry tea for Labour.My DD drank it throughout her first pregnancy, but had a traumatic placental abruption, bled all over, n had to be blue lighted to hospital.Several midwives asked her if she'd been drinking it , n said it can cause such probs :eek: Luckily DGD was born fit n healthy in the end ❤
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 16 September 2017 at 8:32PM
    Options
    Yes I've heard that too. I can't remember if you are supposed to avoid taking it during the first 20 weeks of gestation or the latter 20 weeks.

PS I have Just double checked the guidelines......it can be taken from 36 weeks gestation.

I think that all these old Wives tales, whilst containing an element of science and the power to do good, we do have to remember that they belong to a time when science was less advanced and when people were less knowledgeable.

Perhaps raspberry leaf tea does relieve premenstrual cramps without a high of complications but perhaps the risk of complications in childbirth is just too high. And nowadays of course there are better and more sophisticated ways of controlling pain during labour.

As for menstrual cramps I did try feminax but again it upset my stomach so I had to make do with paracetamol and hot water bottles.

I think women are much safer with the NHS and modern obstetrics than they were in the bad old days before the NHS. Both my grandmothers were midwives, both In the days before the NHS. One worked with a doctor who had very rich patients. The other worked in a very poor neighbourhood where people couldn't afford doctors and who relied solely on my grandmother. She did her best for them but conditions were hard and the mortality rate was high.

My friend is a retired midwife, with a career in midwifery spanning 40 years. Even now, even with the NHS some of the stories she tells are very sad, and it does make you realise that there is still no such thing as risk free pregnancies and that childbirth can still go horribly wrong.

My eldest son nearly died at birth and he could so easily have taken me with him. Luckily I was being monitored because of a couple of false alarms, I was taken into hospital early as a precaution. I had a very experienced consultant and I really couldn't fault the care of the whole team. They saved our lives. This is why, despite my interest in natural medicines I am very much against home births.

I do think you need to be in the right place if things go wrong,
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    Good morning all . I'm playing catch up like Tink !
    The last few days I've felt as though I was wading through treacle . I woke a few days ago with a painful back and was not very mobile .
    It's not so bad today so fingers crossed it's calming down .
    I think a lot of us are feeling the weather changes over the last few days .
    wednesday Fibro isn't a condition that would fit the criteria for the flu jab . Youngest gets hers due to being on an on MTX which lowers her Immune system and got it the jab prior to that due to Chronic Asthma .
    LW Aren't you on medication that lowers your immune system ? Often they are used for Lupus treatment . If you are you would qualify for the free jab .
    I'll read back properly and for now wish all a good day .
    polly x
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    My GP gave me more Lyrica tablets to take twice a day and Naratriptan for if/when I get another migraine. He said to wait and see what the MH service says to me tomorrow on the phone before he will refer me to the sleep clinic.

I really noticed the cold today when I was waiting for the bus. The weather has definitely changed.
    The last few days I've felt as though I was wading through treacle . I woke a few days ago with a painful back and was not very mobile .
    It's not so bad today so fingers crossed it's calming down .
    I think a lot of us are feeling the weather changes over the last few days .
    wednesday Fibro isn't a condition that would fit the criteria for the flu jab . Youngest gets hers due to being on an on MTX which lowers her Immune system and got it the jab prior to that due to Chronic Asthma .

I'm glad you are feeling a bit better today.xx I meant to ask about the flu jab at my GP appointment today. I will probably just get it at the pharmacy anyway.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    LW Aren't you on medication that lowers your immune system ? Often they are used for Lupus treatment . If you are you would qualify for the free jab .
    Dr F checked when I saw her last, and Lupus isn't on the list of "approved illnesses" as it were. I think it's probably because it's so variable - for some it's just a bit of a nuisance and doesn't impact their life a vast amount, and for others it's completely debilitating; and for still other it fluctuates between these in a totally unpredictable way. So the Powers That Be who set the guidelines go with the "it's just a minor nuisance" stance as the standard, therefore no free flu jab for Lupies.

I'd have to re-read all my medication leaflets (I keep a copy of each on file) to check what they all actually do/what side effects are ascribed to each one, as I have (I think) nine items on my script list now.:eek:

I'm not really that bothered; I've never had a flu jab in my life, and tbh, I'd worry that having something of that nature that my system doesn't recognise could well send me into a flare.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,771 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

I think women are much safer with the NHS and modern obstetrics than they were in the bad old days before the NHS. Both my grandmothers were midwives, both In the days before the NHS. One worked with a doctor who had very rich patients. The other worked in a very poor neighbourhood where people couldn't afford doctors and who relied solely on my grandmother. She did her best for them but conditions were hard and the mortality rate was high.

I do think you need to be in the right place if things go wrong,

My aunty was a midwife before all the high tech scan stuff. She felt my baby and said "that head isn't coming out the normal way". The high tech scanning brigade told me I was having a tiny baby (I was very ill and allergic to the baby hence all the scans). They said he would be about 5.5 lbs. I held out for a c-section on health grounds. They eventually agreed. The house troll was 3 weeks early, 7lbs 10.5oz and his head was on the 99th centile. I am 5ft nothing and that head wouldn't have.......so on and so forth. My aunty was right, the scan stuff was wrong and as you say I would have been part of the mortality figures in days gone by.

LW I have a lot of allergy stuff going on and I don't get along with the flu jab. Tried it twice and was so very ill both times. As I don't work at the moment and can mostly stay away from crowded places /hotbeds of infection....I'll take my chance with the flu.

I'm still sore from my headfirst dive down the stairs. My leg is a mess of bruises and cuts but I've done something to my side. By midnight last night I'd taken one of every pain killer in the house (and some of them are fairly strong) and I still couldn't sleep. I took the house troll to school this morning then went back to bed. I do feel a bit better this evening.

I feel like sending you all a virtual hug whether you want one or not so (hugs).
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cranky

Go and see your GP about the pain in your side and make sure you get treatment if you need it. I don't like the idea of you being in constant pain. We will all nag you if you don't.

My gp's surgery is doing the flu jabs in early October so I am going to get mine done just to be on the safe side.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills