We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Large cash withdrawl from Santander123

Options
Hi, I need to take out £2500 in cash at short notice (ie tomorrow)from my 123 account to buy a car. Their help pages are useless - does anyone know if i can turn up at a branch to withdraw this with no notice and what ID I should take to satify them?
Thanks

Comments

• schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,109 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Rotor wrote: »
    Hi, I need to take out £2500 in cash at short notice (ie tomorrow) from my 123 account to buy a car. Their help pages are useless - does anyone know if i can turn up at a branch to withdraw this with no notice and what ID I should take to satisfy them?
    Thanks

First thing in the morning, phone the branch where you intend to go to withdraw, and ask them. £1000 is usually OK with no notice.
  • warwicktiger
    Options
    Yes, phone them, and ask them. Should be ok, but check out their requirements
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you have online banking, forewarn them with a secure message asap. Also you can phone them first thing tomorrow before setting off for the branch. Take your passport and driving licence. There may be a daily cash limit (I don't use that bank) but if you haven't looked at the Ts & Cs to find out then ask them in branch. They will ask you why you want the cash - can you take a copy of the car advert or dealer invoice or other evidence?
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • MissTasmanian
    Options
    I remember phoning and asking as well as having one of their online messages confirming that I could take out a large lump sum, but it didn't stop them blocking my account :/

Their words are useless.
  • schiff
    Options
    mgdavid wrote: »
    If you have online banking, forewarn them with a secure message asap. Also you can phone them first thing tomorrow before setting off for the branch. Take your passport and driving licence. There may be a daily cash limit (I don't use that bank) but if you haven't looked at the Ts & Cs to find out then ask them in branch. They will ask you why you want the cash - can you take a copy of the car advert or dealer invoice or other evidence?

That won't work, you are lucky to get a reply to secure messages in 48 hours and they don't prioritise requests that clearly need a quick response. Phone.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,523 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    According to the General T and C's booklet, there is also a £500 daily limit on counter withdrawals: http://www.santander.co.uk/uk/current-accounts/123-current-account

Do you have any other accounts you can transfer the remaining 2k to and withdraw it from there?
  • schiff
    Options
    Kim_13 wrote: »
    According to the General T and C's booklet, there is also a £500 daily limit on counter withdrawals: http://www.santander.co.uk/uk/current-accounts/123-current-account

I have made any number of £1000 cash withdrawals and that has never been mentioned.
  • pvt
    pvt Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Options
    Kim_13 wrote: »

Withdrawal of large amounts of cash is always possible by arrangement - otherwise how would it ever be possible to do?

Phoning the day before is the best advice. If it's too late to do that, then still phone ahead and ask if it is possible to withdraw the cash you need.

Generally, banks will be happier to do this later in the day, once they know how much cash they have spare and aren't going to leave themselves short.

On numerous occasions I've not had a problem with withdrawing cash up to £10,000 after phoning ahead.

Proper clearing banks (NatWest/Barclays/Lloyds) are probably better for this than the ex building societies (Santander/Halifax/Nationwide etc).
    Optimists see a glass half full :)
    Pessimists see a glass half empty :(
    Engineers just see a glass twice the size it needed to be :D
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    I took about 1500 in cash from my local Santander in February. I took in some ID as well as my withdrawal card as a precaution. No problems. Too be honest it did not even occur to me I might need to ask permission from them in advance to take out my own money and there was no issue.
  • GibbsRule_No3
    Options
    Can you not just get the persons bank number and transfer it to them online?
    Paddle No 21 :wave:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport