PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Are you getting enough?

Options

Comments

• iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I don't believe in juice, I think it's a big cheat. D

As I will struggle to reach five per day, I will take all the cheating I can :D
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Options
    I honestly don't know how people have trouble getting at least 5 a day.
    An average day sees me into the double digits.
    Breakfast - work day porridge or soya yogurt with blueberries and strawberries, or a pear - 2.
    - non work day blueberries, pear, apple, nectarines etc - usually 5 to 7.
    For break at work I have orange, apple, an nakd bar that counts as one (dates) and recently I've been having beetroot juice aswell which counts as one. So that's 3-4 depending on if I have the beetroot juice.
    Non work days at home I'll snack on various fruits and vegetables. Houmous with celery is a great snack. Snacks around 4-5.
    Dinner sees a large variety of veg.
    Work days when I get home I snack on fruit or will snack on vegetables etc. A minimum of 2 portions.
    Rice bowl - those usually contains anything from 3-7 different vegetable portions. Same for vegetable fajitas (love avocado/guacamole with this), veggie stir frys, shepherless pie served with side veg and salad, veggie curry/chilli, pasta salad, veggie stew etc.
    Even when I have vegan pizza with all the veg on the pizza with the salad I have that is around 6 portions at least.

Today I'm lagging behind with only 5 portions so far; blueberries, pear, apple, nectarines, beetroot juice. However my dinner, that I will be having soon, will have at least 7 portions in it; peas, onion, broccoli, spinach, cabbage, carrot, pepper, but I may have more.

My parents always encouraged my love for fruits and vegetables as a child. There aren't many that I dislike giving me a wide range to eat.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • splishsplash
    splishsplash Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm game. Today I had salad for lunch, which included a portion each of lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber (I don't think I can count the spring onion, can I? It wasn't 80g), sweetcorn and a grated carrot.

Dinner was chicken and cashew nuts which included sliced peppers, onions, garlic, courgette, so maybe 2 portions in total, served with a generous portion each of steamed kale and carrots.

I also had a banana, but I'm not counting that (why?? all those b vitamins, manganese, low GI count?? what have you got against lovely bananas??).

So today was 9:0.
    I'm an adult and I can eat whatever I want whenever I want and I wish someone would take this power from me.
    -Mike Primavera
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,152 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If I'm at home for a while my veg intake is high. If I'm away a lot it gets erratic. At the moment there is no fresh fruit in the house as I CBA to have the frozen stuff with yogurt in the morning (I have it in smoothies or with porridge). I tend to limit myself to one portion of fruit a day, although this can go up in summer.

So as I'm only home for a few days, no fruit for breakfast and lunch was out, so the salad possibly made one portion.

Supper - tomatoes (3), runner beans (250g ish) and veggie burger.

I need more variety - which will happen when I get back next week and have a couple of weeks at home.
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am on a LCHF routine at the moment so limit my fruit to a few mixed berries with Greek yogurt in the morning. Celery and peanut butter for lunch and a rather strange concoction tonight which will include heritage carrots and runner beans. I say strange because the liver I took out of the freezer for liver, bacon and onions turned out to be cubed steak. It is much more difficult not being able to eat an apple, orange, etc. to fill up on but I have to say, it is working.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • pandamonium
    Options
    I'm so glad you started this thread. I'm looking to up my veg intake, but it's just so boring. I'm hoping posters can come up with some inspirational ideas to make veg tastier 😊.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    7.8 portions (623g) a day, 41% fruit, 59% veg.
  • usernameisvalid
    usernameisvalid Posts: 302 Forumite
    edited 17 August 2016 at 9:30AM
    Options
    Well I 'think' I done ok yesterday

I had pasta with a sauce made with tinned toms, fresh toms, yellow peppers,,onions, garlic and spinich served with a salad of lettuce, toms, coleslaw, cue, onion and red cabbage

So there must have been 5 in there somewhere?

Today it was peas and sweet corn , major fail :(

Ops forgot I had tomatoes as well so not really that bad for me :)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    LameWolf wrote: »
    I just looked up what constitutes a "portion". :eek:
    If I ate 5 portions a day, I wouldn't be able to eat any of the other food groups at all!
    How does one get through all that food and not feel stuffed to the gunwales?:(

No chance of trying for the uprated "portions" they've recently said then?:rotfl: Think it's now been changed to "8 a day".

....and the news item I read yesterday said that 75% of British people don't eat "5 a day".

Trying to think how many I had yesterday personally:
    - blackberries with morning porridge
    - little bit of stewed apple at lunchtime.
    - dinnertime - half a cauliflower (roasted with tumeric), tomato and pepper sauce.

Whoops...didnt do too well then yesterday. It was a bit of a CBA day - as I was out for a walk for much of it and was weary.

I do get quite a bit normally nowadays - as the garden at the moment is providing several different types of lettuce and nasturtium and a few wild strawberries. I've recently eaten my way through lots of strawberries/plums/rhubarb/blackcurrants/chuckleberries from the garden. I'm now eating my way through blackberries and the apples have just started and got some plums en route soon from a friends garden (as hers are now ready).

Reminds me - I must get out there soon and do "caterpillar hunting" duties on my cabbages for the day:(
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 17 August 2016 at 8:03AM
    Options
    I honestly don't know how people have trouble getting at least 5 a day.
    Its easily done with fruit, so my personal aim is to shrink the daily tally and start eating veg (the first digit in my ratio) instead. It's much harder for us that don't actually eat proper meals, as veggies are so easily avoided. For me the way round it is to try to at least one meal a day, and incorporate 3 portions within that. Yesterday turned into a 5:2 day for me, but required lots of grazing. It's much easier to snack on a few grapes than it is on 3 sticks of celery. I also think our idea of what is considered to be a portion also needs to be standardised, it's 80g.

Although I am rather intrigued by your vegan pizza. Even if one portion is tomato sauce, the other 5 would be the equivalent of 400g edible veg? That is one mutha of a pizza :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure