Project Mortgage Neutral Begins

Options

Comments

• ajmoney
    ajmoney Posts: 6,244 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Probably getting too far ahead of myself but wondering if I can be mortgage free by the time I am 50. I had never planned for it to take that long but now I am going it alone I need to be sensible. It will be tough to get rid of my new mortgage in the 2 year term but I think it could be achieved looking at my spare money a month. I have started playing around with the overpayment calculators but haven't done the overall calculations, trying to wait until I am in the house for that. The biggest factor will be my career change, this is currently in 3 and a half years time but hopefully I will be extended.

Last night's dinner was so lovely, I will miss being part of those but I am going to try and make the effort to stay in touch with his nieces, especially the older one as we get on really well.

Parkrun this morning, I need to pack to go away, get a bike rack fitted to my car and try and get out on my bike. I have a swimathon in 8 days and I haven't been in the pool for 2 months, it will be tough but I like a challenge!
    MFW 2024 No. 7 £500/£1200 MFiT-T6 No. 70 £15420.41/£22787.04
  • ajmoney
    Options
    :j:j:j £200 a month OP and a one off payment of £3000 when my regular saver matures each year means I would get rid of my new mortgage in 21 months instead of 24 :D and should still leave £180 a month unaccounted for. Still refraining from playing with the other mortgage figures!
  • ajmoney
    Options
    Energy bills
    We have a £60 early exit fee on our energy tariff which only starts at the end of this month, we thought it would be easier to switch to something although in hindsight this might have been the wrong decision. According to uswitch I could save £160 a year when I move to the new property by going with a new provider, is this a no brainer...the options as I see it are:
    1. switch and pay the early fee but save money overall
    2. take the tariff across and just change the address
    3. see if we are tied into this seeing as it hasn't started yet and pay the standard variable rate for a month and then set a better deal in the new house.

TV, phone, broadband
    What are people's experiences with virg!n? I am contemplating ditching $ky and going to them instead.

I think that is it for now.
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    A_Frayed_Knot Posts: 3,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Energy Bills - Be careful there, think you can cancel within a 14 day period, unless like mine, they took around 7-8 weeks to tell me that my monthly DD would be 57% MORE - what the ** and of course - too late to cancel, I am actually staying with the same energy co, just going on to their lowest tariff instead of their highest and this is how I am repaid :(

If your happy I would take the tariff over.

Virg!n - heard good reports with them - although i'm sure skY have a bartering system for keeping your custom. Although if your a new customer you may get a good deal with TCB.

Oh, and btw Mr AJM's new purchase has the WOW factor :cool: love it.
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • ajmoney
    Options
    I have just sent this email to Sky

Are you kidding? Apparently your waiting time is 20 minutes but no one answered in 1 hour, 10 minutes and 32 seconds when I gave up because apparently that is when you close. Very poor customer service Sky and that is why I will be telling you I am leaving...if you answer the phone!

after waiting for far longer than is acceptable to try and cancel my contract...I wonder why I might be doing that. I have already had to give up twice this week as I had other things to do and couldn't stay on the phone, I had waited this long on the other occasions. Now I need to do it all again tomorrow :mad::mad::mad:
  • ajmoney
    Options
    I got an 11 min 30 sec PB on my 5k swim time today :j not sure I will beat that for a while. Hopefully it will kick start my love of exercise again, I'm determined to make the most of the clock change.
  • ajmoney
    Options
    That's the last money shuffle done in this house. The next few weeks are going to be a series of "lasts", it is certainly a very strange feeling. I'm sure it would be a lot easier if we didn't get on.

I have my new outgoings spreadsheet ready for next month. My MFW2019 will stay the same and get increased when I work out what an achievable amount to OP is. I am not sure how to use the MFiT-T5, probably restart it is the best option.

I have got today off, a weekday where I don't need to go into work or catch up on anything which is a rarity so I am making the most of it.
    Get roof bars fitted to car
    Run around local loch
    Attempt to ring $ky again :mad:
    Tell our current life insurance to get on their bike with my recent quote
    Swim training tonight for the first time in 2 months
    Batch cook our meals for this week

That should be enough to keep me busy!
  • ajmoney
    Options
    Slowly getting there, staying with $ky after they pulled something out of the bag, I will be paying slightly more a month than I had anticipated (a lot less than we are currently paying) but for now I appear to be getting a better deal. I will be without phone and broadband for the first weekend and no idea what date the tv will get sorted yet but they are going to call me in the next couple of days to confirm.

Removals are coming round tomorrow to quote moving our stuff, hopefully we can get the boxes by the weekend and then we can start packing once our final clean has been done next Tuesday. A few things still to cancel and move but I am sure I will get there eventually.
  • ajmoney
    Options
    N@tionwide 5% account to be axed at the end of the week :eek: that was how I was going to pay lump sums to my extra mortgage and get rid of it within two years. I will be able to do that when it matures next year but will have to come up with another plan after that.
  • ajmoney
    Options
    22 days until move in day :eek: we are confirming our removals today so hopefully we have got most things sorted. Starting to pack the boxes next week, I would like to ditch what I don't want beforehand but time may dictate that I sort through all this once I am in the new house.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure