Comments

• SuperSecretSquirrel
    Options
    Happy moving day! :D
  • ajmoney
    ajmoney Posts: 6,237 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It has been an emotional day to say the least with many tears from me this morning. It was made tough over lunch when Mr AJM said he wasn't sure why all this was happening. The removals got me in by about 3.30 and my house doesn't look too bad. Mr AJM popped round to help me put my bed together and have a look around and I have been to see his. It was very awkward saying goodbye when he dropped me back but I am having pizza in a very quiet house as I can't work out the TV aerial, I am a bit of a technophobe! Going to clean the bathroom, sort my clothes for tomorrow and then maybe have an early night.
    MFW 2024 No. 7 £400/£1200 MFiT-T6 No. 70 £15420.41/£22787.04
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Options
    That sounds tough AJM - it doesn't sound like Mr AJM made it any easier, but it's a stressful time for both of you so I think you can make allowances?

Dodgy group hugs and listening ears all round - today is a new chapter and your MFW crew are excited for you :)
  • ajmoney
    Options
    Just about all the kitchen boxes are empty but I haven't got a clue where to put anything. Also wondering if I am going a bit over the top washing everything before I put it away! Either way it will all be away tonight which will just leave me with the cooker/hob/hood and floor to clean in there. I am making good progress and everywhere apart from the small bedroom will be sorted by the time my leave finishes in 11 days. My mum and dad are visiting in 3 weeks so while I don't want to put too much pressure on myself I am going to get as much done as I can before they arrive.

I took this morning out of sorting to go to parkrun and tomorrow I am going for a walk to explore during the afternoon. I have to wait in for $ky on Monday morning so will have plenty of time to do stuff then.
  • ajmoney
    Options
    I didn't finish the kitchen until yesterday morning and stopped washing a lot of stuff :eek: I will get to the oven and cooker hood later. My bedroom, dining room and all the bathroom stuff is now away and organised. Today's job is to clean the porch which shouldn't take long and try and empty all the boxes in the living room. There are only four, most of which I think are books, games and cd's so should be fairly painless. I have a 2 hour window to wait for the $ky engineer so can get a lot done then.

Broadband goes live today so I can catch up on my financial admin a little easier today. I have already been keeping an eye on the daily interest, it is a little frustrating that my two old mortgages are also still being charged interest but I'm sure it will all clear in a couple of days. I am impressed to realise that without too much of a financial burden I will be able to keep the same MFiT target of £80k even though my mortgage has jumped up by £10k :T

If today's plan works I will just have the 2 spare rooms to organise and then I can make a start on the garage, shed and garden.
  • ajmoney
    Options
    $ky man arrived early :T he is going to test which of my many phone sockets is the correct/main one so I can set my broadband up once he has gone.

I have all the living room boxes open and am ready to put everything in its new home once he has left. At this rate I may get the 2nd bedroom sorted today too :j:j:J I'm so glad I don't have loads of stuff :D
  • ajmoney
    Options
    Back from a couple of days away visiting my old work and friends there whilst doing some walk training in the hills for a charity walk that I am doing at the end of next week.

I think this may be when things start to be a little tough as I no longer have that to look forward to (although I am back over for a course in 2 weeks time) and the easy stuff has been unpacked. I think I am going to need to come up with a bit of a plan, sorting house stuff vs having my own life for the rest of my leave. I need to chase a couple of things up at the bank tomorrow as they took payments for our old mortgages that have disappeared from online banking and none for my new mortgage even though I was expecting the first payment to be on 1st May. I still have some financial things to deal with although I think I need Mr AJM here for some of them so might see if he is able to pop in after work tomorrow. Hopefully once everything has been cancelled/swapped/updated I will know what financial position I should be in each month.

The remaining money from the sale of the house has been put into our accounts today so it gives me the chance to start looking into the repairs that the home report flagged up. I intend to use this surplus money for those and on redecoration work but unsure where to keep the money in the meantime, I know if I leave it in my current account it may disappear!!!

Tomorrow's plan
    Go to bank
    Finish unpacking living room (it didn't quite happen yesterday)
    Make a rough meal plan for the rest of the week then food shopping
    Collect stuff from temporary room I had at work ready to give it back next week
    Depending on the weather cut the grass
    Get quote for roof repairs
    Get quote for new garage door

Weekend plan
    Clean the inside of my car
    Finish emptying remaining boxes that removals need back
    At least 1 hour walk a day
    Short bursts of sorting out 2 spare rooms
    Sure there will be far more than this but this should hold me accountable.

I need a bit of inspiration when it comes to meal planning so may sit with my cookery books to come up with some ideas, I am sick of eating the same things all the time.
  • ajmoney
    Options
    Food shopping...how often do you guys go? I have made a meal plan up until the end of next week but I guess I will need to do another shop on Monday to get more fresh veg and fruit etc. I am keen to minimise my spends where possible so am just wondering how the rest of you do this.
  • juliejim
    juliejim Posts: 7,943 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I tend to shop weekly but there is 4 of us and a dog. I've also shopped fortnightly in the past but then needed top up shops. I normally only have to get bread if I shop weekly.

Hope you have some fun time in the rest of your leave too.

Jue
    NST #10 Steps 7K 2/30 10K 2/12 5 a day 3/30 NSD 0/20
    MBNA £5500
  • ajmoney
    Options
    juliejim wrote: »
    I tend to shop weekly but there is 4 of us and a dog. I've also shopped fortnightly in the past but then needed top up shops. I normally only have to get bread if I shop weekly.
    Do you find fresh fruit and veg lasts that long? I never used to worry when I was a student but Mr AJM had a thing about buying fresh every few days and it seems to have stuck!
    I have made quite a bit of a dent in my smallest bedroom today. I realised I was doing things the wrong way round and needed to sort out in there before I could do anything else. I have a new list of things to do tomorrow in a specific order so I can finish that room and possibly both spare rooms tomorrow. Then it is just the garage/shed to sort out...I confess the idea of spiders is putting me off :eek:
    Remember when I got a little frustrated about suggesting to Mr AJM he took an extra £10k from the sale of the house? It turns out that once the proceeds were split and our own costs and deposits were taken out of our individual totals I have come away with a bigger amount, in fact he wouldn't have had enough left to cover all his costs if we had split equally.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure