I want to stop drowning

Options

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    I would also encourage her to get a weekend job to earn her own money when she is 16 so she learns it doesn't grow on trees. My own daughters from 16 did paper rounds after school, caravan cleaning at weekends, shop work, waitressing. They did this from 16 to when they left uni and now looking back they say they are glad we pushed them to do it. It gave them a strong work ethic, they learnt how hard they had to work to earn £7 an hour at the time and they learnt to budget with their own money. Priceless lessons and now they are young adults, financially secure with their own homes. We could afford to give them pocket money but felt they would benefit from joining the workplace sooner rather than later. My dad did the same with me and my siblings.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I completely agree and have told her clearly to not expect a party etc. We tell her all the time about the value of money and she has a very small job but has been saving towards a big item. I'm also going to give her pocket money but have made it clear that is to cover all none essentials , I'm hoping this will help to teach her the value of money.

I have mentioned getting another job but not sure that will happen!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I concur with enthusiastic saver , my 2 both had jobs from 16 all through uni. It definitely set them on the right road.

My daughter had a pamper party when was 16 for her and 3 friends , she loved it .
  • debtaghh
    Options
    I agree, I had a job from the age of 14.

Pamper party sound great!
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    A pamper party sounds great to me as well. Just a few close friends and some food and drink should not break the bank. Both mine had small parties - just 5 or 6 friends I think and they watched dvds, had food and drink/birthday cake and a sleepover.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • System
    Options
    Glad you like the idea, your daughter could organise it all. It can then be whatever she wants within a budget you set !
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Thanks. How much would you recommend for her presents?
  • System
    Options
    I think that is a hard thing to determine , it is all relative to how much you normally spend on her and what you can realistically afford . Does she know that financially things are tight ? If she has asked for something specific could the cost be shared between you and grandparents if there are any.
  • debtaghh
    Options
    She knows we find things tight but she doesn't know about our debt.

If I'm being honest I have been spending about £200 on her because we tend to buy her gift cards so she can buy her clothes for the year.
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Morning,

I had a bit of a spendy day yesterday. I bought wrapping paper, bday card, toiletries, underwear etc it was all needed but still annoying. I think I may have to use money from my savings to survive until dh next pay day and no more extra payments on the cc unless sales start existing!

Today I need to:

Empty the dishwasher
    Put wash on
    Hoover
    Wrap ds presents
    Check finances and work out shortfall for the month
    Request membership for softplay

Just in case I forget ( tomorrow):

Submit tax return
    Claim ppi for account fees
    Look at Equifax at all ccs we have had and ask about ppi including previous mortgage
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback