I want to stop drowning

Options

Comments

• debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning,

I have washing to do, I need to buy a few bits that I forgot to get from Lidl, I need to continue listing my items.

Surveys seem a bit quiet again at the min.

Have a good day.
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    I had a ridiculously quiet survey patch up to the last few days, they seem to be returning, but too slowly for my liking. I was hoping to be able to cash out this week, but one hasn't reached fee free cash out yet and I've decided to go for a larger value voucher in the other.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • debtaghh
    Options
    I've managed to hang my washing out to dry and made a sale so have finally made another payment of £30!
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Morning,

I had such a busy day yesterday but all items are listed for my business and two surveys done. I need to apply for a job that seems like would be perfect. I'm not sure if I'll do this today though. I need to also at some point sort my cv out again and my personal statement. I still also need to submit my tax return. There just doesn't seem to be enough time at the minute!

More washing needs doing today and I may attempt to make soup. I also need to do something off my long to do list. I managed to also do sewing yesterday , three items have needed repairing for a while so did that and ticked that off my list!
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Morning,

I've had such a busy week but have done lots. I've applied for numerous jobs but the last two that I applied for would be perfect and not incur too much childcare.

With regards to money, I just feel like all I'm doing is spending but I think partly that's because I'm buying Christmas presents already. Food is still high, I'm spending about £80-£100 per week. We eat lots of fruit and that is really adding up. It is for five of us and is breakfast , lunch and dinners as well as any snacks and toiletries.

I really hope my sales pickup once ppl get paid and that I can start making more payments when dh gets paid this week.

Have a lovely day everyone.
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Morning,

I have an interview this week! It's not for a career that I want but it will work around the kids with hardly any childcare and bring home over £500 a month.

I did a balance transfer on Friday as it was 6.9% until 2022 with no handling fee. I have put it currently in savings so my debt looks 3.5k higher but it's because I didn't realise we have a deal ending in Dec but I don't want to pay it now as I'm worried it will not take it off the part that's ending in Dec ( I can't remember if they have to) . Unfortunately we had a very unexpected spend yesterday of nearly £600 which I've had to use the savings for. I still would like to get under 40k by Xmas but I'm really thinking this is less likely to happen. With Xmas coming and I do have holidays booked for next year that need paying off ( if we cancel we would lose hundreds) I know some would say I should cancel the holidays and I know this is my biggest issue but I try really hard with everything else, no haircuts, no buying clothes, eating out etc and I know it's delaying paying our debt but to be honest as long as we are clearing a decent amt of debt then I'm ok with it being slightly delayed but the main thing is I need to see our debt going down or we should no way be going on holiday.

I spent £100 on food last week. I went shopping yesterday and spent £38, I'm really hoping to only need to spend another £20 at the most on milk, bread and fruit. Therefore averages the two weeks at £80.

Have a good day everyone.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,599 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 19 September 2017 at 8:32AM
    Options
    Not sure why you have incurred further debt at 6.9% and then put it in savings. This is not savings as you have borrowed it so by its very definition this is further borrowing. The debt will not go down while you carry on doing things like this. I am being tough as I am slightly frustrated when you do these things when you seem to be doing well on other things like watching your spends. I am going to ignore your comments about holidays as you know my views on these but accept as this is a very long haul for you living along the way is necessary.

Use the savings you have to pay against your highest charging debts. Leave £1000 for an emergency fund and start savings pots for Christmas and holidays (to come out of monthly budget not balance transfers which is further borrowing). Preempting deals which do not finish for a while seems to be a habit for you and it is not helping you reduce your debt.

Good luck with the job interview as an extra £500 per month will definitely help you.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I'm not keeping it in savings , I'm going to use it to clear a deal that will be ending in December and going to 29.9%, I just put it in savings until December as this offer was ending. I thought it was better I do that then pay 29.9%.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    debtaghh wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. I'm not keeping it in savings , I'm going to use it to clear a deal that will be ending in December and going to 29.9%, I just put it in savings until December as this offer was ending. I thought it was better I do that then pay 29.9%.

I could understand that if the deal was ending next week or had already ended. Paying 6.9% interest on money that sits there doing nothing for 3 months does not make sense though unless the credit card company will allocate it now. That would make sense.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • debtaghh
    Options
    I could understand that if the deal was ending next week or had already ended. Paying 6.9% interest on money that sits there doing nothing for 3 months does not make sense though unless the credit card company will allocate it now. That would make sense.

I understand what you are saying but is it not better I incur a small amount of interest for two months ( I deliberately did it after the bill had been made to incur one lot of less interest) then pay 29.9% from December that was my worry.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback