I want to stop drowning

Options

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,599 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    £1000 is great for August. Keep up the good work. Do you notice how much better you do when you post regularly?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes I do. I feels it keeps me more determined and wanting to make more payments so I can update my signature.
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Morning,

I'm challenging myself, I would like to get under 40k on the cc by the end of the year. It would feel like a massive achievement. It will be very hard but I can try. It means clearing just over 5k so let's hope for lots of sales and lots of frugalness!
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,599 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    That would be a massive achievement. Good luck.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • glass_half_full
    Options
    Hi debtaghh,
    I've been reading your diary, I'm so impressed with your focus and determination. Good luck with the target!
    :beer:
    Aiming to early retire in April 2025 - DC pension currently £350k 
  • debtaghh
    Options
    That would be a massive achievement. Good luck.
    Hi debtaghh,
    I've been reading your diary, I'm so impressed with your focus and determination. Good luck with the target!
    :beer:

Thanks. I just really want rid of this debt so we can focus on improving our life as the debt controls us too much.

I feel as I have written my challenge on here I will more focused on doing it!
  • Lancashirelass1
    Options
    debtaghh wrote: »
    Hi,

I am not sure where to start or what I want from this but here goes ...

We are in major debt and things seem to be getting worse, I have been looking at this site for years and know there is no point me posting my soa as we literally can't cut back any more e.g

food shop for fam of 5 £240- if you can help me reduce this then that would be great. I shop at Aldi, Lidl etc and have most shops locally.
    We just got rid of sky and have reduced mobiles, gas etc.

We can't do an iva or dmp etc as we are in rented accomadation and I know estate agents can use guarantors etc but we don't have one plus they are not that keen as I have mentioned it before to them. Where we live , it's really hard to rent as there are limited properties and having bad credit would just go against us which we really can't do.

Our biggest issues are that I do things that I end up regretting e.g booking holidays in the uk which still add up, book parties for the kids etc. I don't know how we got into so much debt but assume it must be down to this and i've never been on a good salary. My business has been hit badly and never recovered. I'm currently looking for a part time job but can't see this happening soon as I need it to be enough salary to cover childcare for my baby. My husband is on a good salary but works shifts which means I can't rely on him for childcare help and we don't have any family that can help us. I've tried working for direct selling companies and sell things on music magpie, ebay and gumtree ( I literally have nothing else to sell). I use cashbaack sites too and did do surverys but never seem to be eligible but will stary back with that- any recommendations for good ones? Or any ideas of making more money from home?

We are due to go away soon and I would love to have advice on how we can save money on food whilst staying at a hotel, I thought I will bring snacks from home and croissants, drink cartons for breakfast but don't want to be speending loads on lunch and dinners.

I also feel pressure from my family when it comes to birthdays and christmas time with regards to buying expensive pressies. We have a holiday booked at christmas too ( I know not ideal).

I supoose I'm writng this to start afresh as I can't carry on like this anymore. I am severly depressed and wake up exhausted every day and have no motivation to do anything. I feel like we are drowing in debt. I am currently receiving cbt but in all honesty the crux of the situation is the debt is the issue. I'm sick of having regrets and living life like this so fingers crossed to new me, it' going to take years but here goes.....

Hello there,
    I'm very New to this site, and your post caught my attention.
    Please consider a plan, but plan smaller goals that are easily achievable.
    I joined in August, however, I have tried to sort something out before, but my spending was out of control, like it was so bad, the more down I felt, the more I spent, the fact that I couldn't spend, or shouldn't just made it worse.
    Something has just clicked really and it's been a lot thinking it through, then basically, just like you, got myself some support and what has helped me, is a spending diary and basically, rants, moans and sharing on here has been brilliant.
    My plan I had before was not sustainable at all, it was too much looking towards the end and I failed.
    I've set up short term, achievable targets with habit forming and what everyone has said on here is the spending diary, support and patience.
    You mentioned that your family put pressure on you to buy expensive presents, I totally relate to this, and I'm well known for generous gifts, but what I've also done, is basically talk to family and have explained that I just can't do it anymore and they have been very understanding. Being kind with my money has got me into this trouble in the first place.
    My first present was two weeks ago, it was strange just getting a card and a bunch of flowers for her, but she would hate it if she knew I'd spent a fortune on a present, that really, I can't really afford.
    I'm going to follow you too and really cheer you on.
    You should be ultra proud of yourself that you are putting your needs first too and coming on here.
    Soon, once things are feeling more in control, you will start seeing goals and you will, start to feel better.
    It does take time, but at least you've started and it can only get better from now on......
    X
    Aim to be debt free....
    Snowballing since August 2017
    Debt total
    28'570.92 (august 17)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A great challenge you have set yourself , we will all be here cheering you on.
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Hello there,
    I'm very New to this site, and your post caught my attention.
    Please consider a plan, but plan smaller goals that are easily achievable.
    I joined in August, however, I have tried to sort something out before, but my spending was out of control, like it was so bad, the more down I felt, the more I spent, the fact that I couldn't spend, or shouldn't just made it worse.
    Something has just clicked really and it's been a lot thinking it through, then basically, just like you, got myself some support and what has helped me, is a spending diary and basically, rants, moans and sharing on here has been brilliant.
    My plan I had before was not sustainable at all, it was too much looking towards the end and I failed.
    I've set up short term, achievable targets with habit forming and what everyone has said on here is the spending diary, support and patience.
    You mentioned that your family put pressure on you to buy expensive presents, I totally relate to this, and I'm well known for generous gifts, but what I've also done, is basically talk to family and have explained that I just can't do it anymore and they have been very understanding. Being kind with my money has got me into this trouble in the first place.
    My first present was two weeks ago, it was strange just getting a card and a bunch of flowers for her, but she would hate it if she knew I'd spent a fortune on a present, that really, I can't really afford.
    I'm going to follow you too and really cheer you on.
    You should be ultra proud of yourself that you are putting your needs first too and coming on here.
    Soon, once things are feeling more in control, you will start seeing goals and you will, start to feel better.
    It does take time, but at least you've started and it can only get better from now on......
    X

Thank you so much x
    I've being slowly working on my family already to make a point that at Christmas I will be on a very strict budget.
  • debtaghh
    Options
    A great challenge you have set yourself , we will all be here cheering you on.

Thanks, I'm hoping to be able to achieve it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback