I want to stop drowning

Options

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,599 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You do sound more positive and logging the food spends is good because it is making you think about every pound you spend.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks, I'm feeling more determined to shift this debt and as soon as possible.
    I definitely think logging my food spends really helps as I've already spent £75 on food since sat but that is for a family of 5 for a week as I'm not buying anything else that will come out of my food budget!
  • debtaghh
    Options
    I've done a survey which earnt me £3 plus I made two business sales which has made me about £28. I'm pleased as it's £31 that I hadn't expected. I think I'll keep it in my paypal account for now and wait until there is a bit more and will then divide between debt payments and other bits. I think I will need more entertainment money then I had allocated as I was using the cash back from holiday £120 but also included dd shoes and it's my son's bday next month and still over a week of the holidays left. I'll use some of the above money to top the entertainment.
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Morning,

I'm after some advice. I have been offered 0% on money transfers 2.9% fee and was wondering if I should do it and use it to pay a card that I'm paying 6.9 for the life of the balance or put it on the cards that 0% run out next April and June but this offer is only 0% until December 18 or shall I do nothing?
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    I've no idea. But what about playing with the snowball thing?
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • debtaghh
    Options
    I've no idea. But what about playing with the snowball thing?

I could do but found it s but confusing.

I did work out if I did it on the 6.9% card that I would save approx £300 but then what do I do with it when the offer runs out
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,599 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Is this for the High Barclaycard balance or the £3111?

I think if you balance transfer again the fees are actually going to be more than your monthly repayments which will mean the debt rising again. You do need to be careful that you do not keep shuffling money from card to card. If you were making higher repayments and clearing the debts before the deals expire it may be worth it. Otherwise there is a danger that the debt never reduces.

How much is the fee and are you going to be able to get a high enough limit to transfer the whole balance? If not you could be adding to the number of credit cards you have. I think I would focus on clearing that £3111 with your savings and ebay, additional payments from surveys and your income and try next year for a longer deal than just one year for the higher balance barclaycard.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • debtaghh
    Options
    My plan was to clear 8k from my dh barclaycard which would leave a balance of £2.5k. The fee is 2.9% and the current barclaycard is 6.9%. I'm trying to clear my barclaycard £3111 through earnings and savings.
  • debtaghh
    Options
    After speaking to dh we have decided not to do the transfer for the reasons enthusiastic saver mentioned. We are going to try and just clear as much as possible as quick as possible.

With regards to food shopping I haven't done any more so this weeks has been £75 but next week I did an order with Sainsbury's as I'm hoping I made it on time to get the £30 Argos voucher deal. I stocked up on bits on that order but will mean I need to spend more than planned as will need food before the delivery next wed.
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Hi,

I've had a costly few days and I feel like all I'm doing is spending money... printer, school bag, odd present etc but I've done a couple of £3 surveys and have made the odd sale. In the month of August we've paid £1000 worth of debt between Cc and we had a balance at the dentists which has now been cleared.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback