I want to stop drowning

Options

Comments

• mumtoomany
    mumtoomany Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, @debtaghh. Firstly it's good to see you back. Now in answer to your question, should you get a cash back card for groceries etc. Looking at Google, if you spent around £100 a week, £5000 a year, your cash back on a card with no fees would be about £12.50 a year. The interest rates on these cards are all around the 27% mark. If you are late by a day on just one month you could wipe out a whole years cash back. This card would require super discipline. OH and i both have M&S cards. We earn enough every year for a few loaves of bread from the food hall! We are also however brave a savings account with more than enough money to pay for everything we buy and NEVER buy what we don't need/can't afford. We use the cars because it makes it easier to see what has been spent and where. Could you find a less risky way to make £12.50 a year? One hours overtime? Surveys? Babysitting? I think a card would not be a good idea. HTH. Hugs, mumtoomany.xx
    Frugal Living Challenge 2023.
    Trying to live on only £2640 for the year for most meals for seven people. Now only feeding, mostly, two. New total £1860.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414174/im-back-trying-to-spend-less-on-food#latest
    Spent in 2023: £1846.53/£1860. Now on £96.08 for 2024
  • debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi, @debtaghh. Firstly it's good to see you back. Now in answer to your question, should you get a cash back card for groceries etc. Looking at Google, if you spent around £100 a week, £5000 a year, your cash back on a card with no fees would be about £12.50 a year. The interest rates on these cards are all around the 27% mark. If you are late by a day on just one month you could wipe out a whole years cash back. This card would require super discipline. OH and i both have M&S cards. We earn enough every year for a few loaves of bread from the food hall! We are also however brave a savings account with more than enough money to pay for everything we buy and NEVER buy what we don't need/can't afford. We use the cars because it makes it easier to see what has been spent and where. Could you find a less risky way to make £12.50 a year? One hours overtime? Surveys? Babysitting? I think a card would not be a good idea. HTH. Hugs, mumtoomany.xx
    Thanks so much, it's definitely not worth it for £12.50. As much as I'd like to hope I would be disciplined I would rather not take that risk. I really appreciate you taking the time to work that out x
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Hi,

It has been a busy week. We went to the beach at the weekend for the day and bought our lunch with us. I sold some things on eBay that went for much more than expected. Today I am doing overtime at my employed job. I am really watching the food shopping bill and shopping in multiple shops to save some money.

Hope you all have a lovely day.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Well done on the extra from the sales and the shopping around! It all helps. :)
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Well done on the extra from the sales and the shopping around! It all helps. :)
    Thanks, I'm hoping it will help. 
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Hi,

Husband's overtime has come through this month which is good. I will be paying a little extra off the debts. I am shopping around lots more too.
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Hi,

I have been really trying to shop around and have managed to get my food to £85 for a family of 4. I've sold a few more things on eBay and Facebook. 

I'm really determined to shift this debt!
  • pennywisepoundstupid
    Options
    Your doing really well, it's so hard to keep costs down when everything seems to be going up on a daily basis.
    Mortgage Jan 2023 9yrs 11mths £61,389 Mortgage overpayment £1867/£3600 Mortgage Jan 2022 11yrs 6mths £69.996 Mortgage overpayment £3132/£3600
  • debtaghh
    Options
    Your doing really well, it's so hard to keep costs down when everything seems to be going up on a daily basis.
    I know the price increases of everything is scary!
  • motivated
    motivated Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    The increases are killing everyone.  It's beyond a joke.   
    Keep plodding along and still allow yourself to live
    x
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family