We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Where do you keep your doggy

Options

Comments

• november
    Options
    My 5 year old lab gets the lounge/diner which is open plan. Having said that she is not alone during the day.

When she was young she still managed to chew holes in the walls during the night. She was never interested in chewing the furniture - just the walls! Despite being left with other more interesting dog related items to chew.

Her mother mind you beats that. My sister had a built in cupboard in her dining room. After popping to the shops or something similar she returned to find the cupboard no longer had the bottom half of the door. It had the top half and a lot of wood chips. :rotfl:Just as well the dog wasn't taller I suppose.
    I live in my own little world. But it's okay. They know me here.
  • bulchy
    bulchy Posts: 955 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    moj1966 wrote: »
    when I go out my two are crated seperatly.
    I have a staffie and a bulldog they are not left more the 2.5 hours.
    They are more then happy to go into there crates when told.

Our little american cocker is crate trained, its the best thing we ever did. She doesnt use hers as much now as she used to, but it has prevented her from chewing when left home alone, and also provided her with a means of escape from the big fella when she was in season. The cats seem to use it more than her now :rotfl:
    Sue
  • 4Chickens
    Options
    My dog is on her own all day and has the run of the house. Fortunately she is slim enough to fit through the cat flap. Obviously your lab is a little more stout. You can get dog doors but I would worry that ferrel kids would get in. Or you could get a dog door that is electronically operated by a transmitter on the dogs collar. I don't know where you get these from but it might be worth looking into.
  • Justie
    Justie Posts: 1,768 Forumite
    Options
    our rescue Lab has the run of the house and seems to divide his time between his bed, the top of the stairs and the chair where he can see out of the window :rolleyes: (bad dog, he's not allowed on the furniture!)

I wouldn't leave him outside as a) I fear he'd be stolen and b) I fear he'd escape... besides he'd think he'd been forgotten and banished from the house.

It all depends on your dog and how well they take to being left alone as to how much of the house you leave them but there isn't any need for a house dog to be outside all day and if any dog is outside they need to be secure.
  • pollyanna24
    Options
    I don't want to tempt fate, but I seem to have the perfect dog!

She 8 and a half months old and doesn't chew anything (okay, once she had a go at the skirting board when she was sulking because me and bf went away for a week)

At first she was penned, but kept getting out and after about three weeks, she was too big for it anyway.

Then she was confined to the kitchen, but we appreciated that she might get hot (the sun comes in that way) and the poor cat would get stuck in the kitchen with her if she happened to come in through the cat flat.

So now she has all of downstairs. She isn't allowed upstairs and never tries and is not allowed on the sofa and never tries. We're either great trainers or she secretly does it while we are at work!

We do work all day, but have lodgers and they and my bf try and get home to her at lunchtime. It may seem cruel to do this to a dog, but they do adapt and live quite happily that way. She gets so much attention in the evenings and weekends, that I think she's glad to be left alone during they day!

Oh and she's a staff by the way.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • sarah*a
    sarah*a Posts: 2,778 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our 18month collieX has the upstairs hallway, the downstairs hallway and the stairs. I personally don't feel it's enough - but she doesn't seem bothered by it - and we are only temporary in this house for 6 months so i'm grinning and bearing it.

in our last house she had the kitchen, conservatory, stairs and upstairs Hallway. If we let her in any of the rooms when we are out she eats stuff - any stuff.

She's rarely alone for more than 2 hours at a time - so it's not too bad - and as long as she has a bed, a ball and a bone she's quite happy. We also leave a radio on occassionally - if we're doing more than popping to the shops.

:cool:
  • west_is_best
    Options
    I have 3 gorgeous labs and 12 puppies!!!!!!!!!!! :D who I love to bits.

All my 3 are in the kitchen. I work 3 days a week (self employed) so I pop back now and again during the day. But they are absolutely fine. I too leave the radio on for them, as they are very much human dependant and need to know theres someone there.

I even had the puppies in the kitchen untill they were 3 weeks old and started walking and leaving parcels around the kitchen during the night!!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I wouldnt like to have my babies out in all weather when Im not at home I must admit. Mine look disgusted at me when I want them to go out for a wee before going to bed, esspecially when its raining!!!!!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Yep, spoilt rotten, but worth it.
  • faerie_girl
    Options
    When i lived at home we had a dog who had the house to himself apart from my parents room as they didnt like him on their bed.

Now I have my own home with my partner we have three cats (two of them kittens) and they have the entire place. I come home and often find them snuggled on the bed together.

Next door keep there dog in the smallest room all day. We hear her yapping and sounding distressed all day. Is there grounds to report them? They also pick her up by her skin round her neck. She is a big dog.
  • west_is_best
    Options
    Next door keep there dog in the smallest room all day. We hear her yapping and sounding distressed all day. Is there grounds to report them? They also pick her up by her skin round her neck. She is a big dog.

I hate something like that, esspecially being picked up by the skin, it annoys me something rotten.

I dont think you have grounds to report them though.
    Try phoning the RSPCA for advice.

Good luck
  • GreenNinja
    Options
    Have to share my dog with my ex, so generally he is only "home alone" on a monday although I pop back lunchtime to feed him and take him for a short walk.

He has the run of the downstairs of my house and spends the majority of his day sleeping, farting and barking at anybody who dares to touch the letterbox, hes old bless him.

;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family