ZC's Aim for a little independence - Page 8

New Post Advanced Search

ZC's Aim for a little independence

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
257 replies 25.8K views

Replies

• zcrat41zcrat41 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all.
    So I'm having a quote for the carpets to see how much it'll be. I'm hoping it won't be too expensive. It's just a small area.

Have been thinking about a Fitbit flex for a while and keep bidding on ebay. I've got enough Quidco money to pay for a second hand one. I often miss my Bounts step target when I'm sure I've done it - I just don't have my phone on me all the time. Maybe I should just wait till Xmas.

Ordered DS's winter coat with my M&S vouchers. DD has inherited his old one - she looks like a boy in it but I'm sure there'll be plenty of winters when she'll want to choose her own coat.

We have a family emergency - we've lost the Amazon Fire stick remote - at halfway through a House of Cards series that is not good! I've a funny feeling that little hands may have moved it somewhere, I just hope it's not the bin.
  • KittenkirstKittenkirst Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hope you find that remote soon!!!
    2020 Overpayments: £300.25 / £520 58%. £10 a week overpayment challenge!

Mort- Oct16 £170.995 (end Nov 2041) Apr20 £141,644.76

Overpayments 2016 £255.50 2017 £2600.40 2018 £4500 2019 £2858
    Referral codes= Prolific- 8JXN5BVG shopmium- ACEAHKFA Shoppix- 57VB13QH
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    We found the remote!! So chuffed.

Had the wind taken out of my sails today. Ds will start school next year and he's registered for a private school. We thought long and hard about all aspects of it and decided to go for it. Having to write that first cheque out feels like a huge commitment though. Dh will increase his earnings from his business for the duration of their education - we see it as investing in them for 15 years rather than the business. The figures involved are a bit eye watering though and make me feel like my efforts to sell clothes on eBay for £5 are worthless.
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Friends over this weekend - had the first huge apple and blackberry crumble of the year - YUM!

£25 John Lewis voucher had arrived. I need a new 'little black dress' so much put it towards that. Either I got taller or I shrunk my old trusty one in the wash. It's surprising how many times I used to weAt it.

Discovered a small local theatre has Stickman on in November so have bought tickets to that for my god daughter - they'll come back for pizza afterwards so it'll be nice to spend some time with her.

I'm trying to stay focused on my money saving. I get a lot of satisfaction from saving and from getting value for money. Just because dh deals in much bigger numbers doesn't mean I can't look after the pennies. We both think that saying of look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves is true.
  • KittenkirstKittenkirst Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stickman & pizza with your goddaughter sounds just lovely ZC :)

I definitely agree about looking after your pennies too, and whilst a £5 eBay sale seems small now when you combine doing that regularly over the length of the mortgage (or the children's education term!) it seems far more significant!

You're doing a great job, keep at it :)
    2020 Overpayments: £300.25 / £520 58%. £10 a week overpayment challenge!

Mort- Oct16 £170.995 (end Nov 2041) Apr20 £141,644.76

Overpayments 2016 £255.50 2017 £2600.40 2018 £4500 2019 £2858
    Referral codes= Prolific- 8JXN5BVG shopmium- ACEAHKFA Shoppix- 57VB13QH
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Kitten.
    Looking at my budgets from my moneysaving I'll have saved just over £1000 since August and should still have enough to do the hallway floor which as you say, all those little pieces do add up.
  • EatingTheElephantEatingTheElephant Forumite
    1.4K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking of doing an apple & blackberry crumble today too for DD1 coming over.
    Real Autumn food!! Yum.
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all.
    So the end of the month is here already and it's not been a bad one at chez ZC.

My mortgage neutral target has been hit for September and now stands at £762 since I started this journey in August.

I'm glad I held off buying a Fitbit - I've managed to get a free fitness tracker by ordering something I needed. If I use it a lot it'll prove I will make use of a Fitbit and I'll invest!

Am looking into hallway flooring tonight. Exciting stuff.

My issue at the moment is Spiders. I can't get rid of the horrid things. I have a real phobia about them which is ridiculous as I have no issue with rats and mice and wee beasties - just spiders.
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Having a nice weekend here. Dh and I normally eat with the children but last Night we got a curry after they went to bed. £15 and we both had such a nice evening - it was far more relaxing and cheaper
    Than eating out with the kids.
    Off
    To harvest festival today and I've made a custard and blackberry tart I'm really looking forwards to
    Eating!
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Uh oh. Maybe shouldn't drink the homemade plum gin at the harvest lunch then go online shopping. Have just spend £108 on Boden stuff :eek:

In my defence there was a 50% sale on, I had a voucher with a further 20% off and went through Quidco to get 10% back so 7 out of the 8 items I got were 80% off rrp. Most of the stuff was kids wear for winter so should last well. And a couple of stripy Bretons for me and you can never have too many stripy Bretons!