ZC's Aim for a little independence - Page 11

New Post Advanced Search

ZC's Aim for a little independence

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
257 replies 25.8K views

Replies

• zcrat41zcrat41 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    Well, i've just re read my diary and didn't I do well! I have so let things slip though and have had a bit of a consumer mindset slip back in. So I'm going to try and write on here again.

Current sit:
    Mortgage - £60,449.05.
    Savings £291.42.

Most of my savings went on my teeth. So Aim 1 is going to be get to £59500. So I need to save £657.30.
    I'm going to aim to do this by Xmas so that's £131 a month.

Today has been a lovely day. Run this morning, then church then the kids and I are watching Paddington 2. (On Amazon Prime so free!) Tea is Italian chicken with roasted veg cous cous.
    I'm really looking forwards to getting back on the wagon!
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    So far this week. Monday spent £18 in Lidl. £10 of that was on kids magazines and a writing book. I!!!8217;m a sucker for anything that includes reading and writing when they!!!8217;re clearly after the plastic tat. Rest on food. Feeding 4 for 3 meals a day plus snacks and I have a summer nanny to feed 3 days a week too. Quite a bump from when the kids are at school.

NSD yesterday. Busy all day on the farm. Bit scary - one neighbours combine went on fire, the others bale stack. At one point my dad was driving a water bowser into a field in flames! All ok and very very luckily no one hurt. There!!!8217;s going to be a few more of these befor harvest is out.

Need to pay for parking at the dentist today plus a few bits from boots.

Will find out tonight if my eBay sale for £58 goes through. I!!!8217;ll be well chuffed if it does!
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

So the eBay sale ended up being just £38. Not too bad though.

My Tesco delivery saver ran out 3 weeks ago. Ocado had a great offer: 30% off the first shop, then £20 off, £15 and £10. Thing is they!!!8217;ve been late for 3/4 deliveries and I do find them more expensive even with the offers.

So yesterday I went to Lidl. It seemed to take the whole morning! Online is so much easier! And because I!!!8217;m tired it was way too easy to get sidelined by snacks. Hoping Tesco will send me some money off vouchers to tempt me back soon!!

Also spent £70 on some secondhand playmobil a friend was selling. I reckon there!!!8217;s a good few hundred pounds worth. The kids are 5 & 3 so hopefully get a lot of use out of it.

Thank goodness for the rain! We were all getting exhausted so it!!!8217;s nice to have a day off. Going to spend today getting back on track with washing/housework/budget/diet ready to face the week ahead. Will try and fit in a family cycle or swim later.
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    So much for a day getting back on track. Morning went well, Church, salad for lunch then spent £8.70 on swimming. Came back as was so tired I couldn!!!8217;t face cooking so we had a McDonald!!!8217;s. £28.

Normally I!!!8217;m more prepared for harvest with freezer stocks but with moving house this year and dc1 starting school I!!!8217;m not so well planned. And I seem more tired than normal!

Not sure what to do today. Might be working later if it dries up. Got the whole day with the kids so might either head to the park or to a museum. Don!!!8217;t want them to get the idea that we do something every day in the hols but it!!!8217;s a long day stretching ahead!
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    NSD here today. Took the kids to the library and repaired an old paddling pool we had in the shed. Lovely day.

Apart from I nearly got suckered in by some chaps offering to fill a few potholes on the drive with leftover tarmac. They!!!8217;d done 10m or so by the time I got to them to say no and they left without requesting money. Just hoping they don!!!8217;t come back to retaliate!
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Oh and had the nicest meal today. Home grown tomatoes & basil with spaghetti. Delicious. I do seem to have a million tomatoes if anyone has any recipes for them?!
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    So, beginning of the month update for me. In July I managed to save £254.69 which smashed my target! Well chuffed with that. Its weird that just by paying attention to it I can save.

I'm on target to save £131 for August. August is going to be a tight month for us. High childcare costs as the summer nanny is doing a lot of hours to help with harvest. Also a lot of hours for DH and I mean I often struggle to keep within the grocery spend. E.g. DH was working till 1am last night and was back in for 6 this morning. You can't do hours like that without a few mars bars and takeaways to get you through. I went to Iceland this week though and stocked up on a lot of Ice lollies for the kids and some easy meals for when we're tired.

Should be ok for school uniform. Most of last years still fits and I've already got shorts, the only thing DS needs. Both children will need shoes at the end of August but I've saved my Quidco and got the Clarks top up which will help a lot. Last year one pair lasted him all year - wonder if I'll be lucky again this year!

So DH is working all day. I've got Ocado coming this morning then have to go and do a bit of church cleaning. DS has his first real friend over to play this afternoon and is so excited! I might be working tonight, we have to see how today goes on the farm.

Have a good day everybody.
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    ooooh, I've just worked out that if I o/p that £250 plus £131 per month I can clear the mortgage 4 years and 9 months earlier. There's 16 years remaining on my term meaning that would reduce my term to 11.5 years. That would be then paying it off just as I turn 50!!! seems like a good overall aim to me!
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Well yesterday didn!!!8217;t go well. 2 more big field fires in our village. Luckily no one was hurt but my goodness I!!!8217;ll be glad when this years harvest is safely gathered in.

Spent £14 on picnic stuff in Budgens last night. Got a day out with some friends today to a splash park. It!!!8217;s council run so no charge apart from parking. Could have done the picnic cheaper but the fires meant I didn!!!8217;t get to Asda before it shut.

On with a new week!
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    This is getting ridiculous. 2 more field fires yesterday. We are all getting closer to finishing but there's a lot of farmers on fire watch at the moment.

Yesterday ended up being rather spendy. We didn't go to the splash park, we went to a friend house to play in their absolutely humungous paddling pool/small swimming pool. She happened to have another one (does a bit of ebay trading) so I bought one for £100. Watch the summer end now!

That's my "children" budget emptied for the month with 3 weeks of the August holidays left to go! I'm hoping to squeeze extra out of other budget categories rather than dip into savings.

Another ebay sale today of £20. I'm going to hang on to that before adding it to my o/p fund at the end of the months as a bit of a back up.