ZC's Aim for a little independence - Page 6

New Post Advanced Search

ZC's Aim for a little independence

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
257 replies 25.8K views

Replies

• zcrat41zcrat41 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    Morning all.
    Been reading a few diaries this morning, I find this such an inspirational place. I frequent a big parenting website & there's a thread on there at the moment where someone is asking what sort of lifestyle should she be able to afford on 100k a year. The replies are shocking - there's a few Mse types Giving her advice but lots of people are saying stuff like "there's no point in stopping your daily coffee; it's only about £200 a month and that wouldn't come to much if you save it"!!!!

I think I used to be in that mindset - I'm so glad I found this place.

May do an unplanned spend today. I bought some Boden shorts at the beginning of the summer and I love them. I'd been thinking about getting a second pair. This morning I got a lovely £10 off voucher which as they're in the sale would make the shorts £11.46 rather than £40 full price!!!

I'm so looking forwards to this time next week when my Sunday lapses are going to be delivered. Had a lovely treat this morning. DS snuck into our bed in the middle of the night - he's been giggling in his sleep since, I think it's the cutest sound I've ever heard.

Hope everyone has a lovely Sunday.
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Lovely day yesterday. My brother visited and I LOVED seeing Max Whitlock get two golds. Kinda wish Louis Smith has got one though - think he would have done if he'd gone for his higher difficulty.

Only spent £2.50 on postage for 45 photos that an app I downloaded promises are free. If that's true then I'm so impressed. It really shows how my mindset is changing though - the same pics from photobox would have been near enough £20.

Have been looking at holidays. We want to go caravanning next June. We'd also love a winter sun holiday but they just seem to be so much more expensive than a June holiday to Cyprus say. And with a 2.5 year old and a 4 year old I'm worried about flight times! Any suggestions anyone?
  • newgirlynewgirly Forumite
    7.6K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't help with the holidays I'm afraid, we liked to take the kids to centre parcs which is still good in in winter as the pool complex is inside.

My advice is don't sell any baby related stuff, that's the point in which you are most likely to fall again :rotfl::rotfl:
    MFW 38

2020 £14,466.48 / £18,000
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I think another baby would break me Newgirly! I just feel like I'm coming out of a long tunnel now the kids are nearly 2 and 3.5. I found the last year really really hard. So maybe I'll keep the baby stuff :rotfl:

I've looked at centreparcs but it seems really expensive for what you get. We normally go to Crieff Hydro in the Winter which we love. Just this years Summer holiday was so good - we thought we could do our summer holiday in this country when the weather's better and go abroad when it's not.

Dead chuffed - just bought DH's 40th birthday gift from Wedgewood - they had 25% off which is highly unusual for them. I've been waiting for a good deal for about 8 months now!
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Evening all.

My barganious £11 ish Boden shorts arrived today and I'm chuffed with them.
    Been invited to join the Shop and Scan thing. Anyone here do it? Is it worth it?

Another sign of how my mindset is changing - I want a coffee machine - like you used to get in offices that does 10 cups of filter coffee. I love our kitchen/diner but when we have people over for a meal it gets so noisy with the kettle on. I've not bought one yet & everytime I look I'm finding cheaper and cheaper one's or coming up with vouchers towards it.

80p spend on sweets for the kiddos tonight as they sat so nicely and waited for me to finish work late. Other than that nothing.
  • PennyJarPennyJar Forumite
    114 posts
    Hey ZC,

Glad you like your shorts...nice to have a treat now and again. I bought a £5 salt rock top today in the sales and a £7.50 50UV all in one wet suit for Babi as we are off to Cornwall for a week on Saturday (can't wait :T).

Not done any shop/scans - but signed up to lots lately :rotfl: so don't think my brain could take much more lol still waiting to see whether I get accepted to become a mystery diner :rotfl:

We were lucky to have a Dolce Gusto machine bought us, but the coffee pods are dead expensive most places ( PoundStretchers do them for £3.48 for 8), it a lot cheaper than having Costa coffees all the time.

Let me know how you get on.

PennyJar
    Debt Free - 2011 (£15, 000) :T | MFiT - T4 #78 £0/£20,000 (Mortgage reduction target)
    Mortgage Free Goal - 2026 (£101, 062) | #198 Emergency Fund Challenge £500/£1000
    Massive :money: fan - thank you for changing the game!
  • newgirlynewgirly Forumite
    7.6K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I did shop and scan a few years ago (neilson) and found it to be a lot of aggro for minimal reward, with kids to sort out at the same time usually it made putting stuff away much slower, I used to end up with it all over the hallway as I didn't have room,others may have had a better experience though!
    MFW 38

2020 £14,466.48 / £18,000
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Newgirly. I'll give it a go I think and see how I get on. I'm a big fan of simplifying life where possible so it sounds like it might annoy me to!

Bit of a spendy day today. Had a last minute rush to pick up combine parts and as the small one's spent 3 hours in the car we stopped for a McDonalds ice cream. Also ended up spending £5 in the village shop on ingredients I should have in the store cupboard. Although it's annoying they would be nearer half that price in a Tesco's its a handy service to have so I don't really mind it.

Have a nice evening everyone x
  • MissCreativeMissCreative Forumite
    90 posts
    Sixth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'd be careful which coffee machine you buy if you do decide to get one. My in laws have a Nespresso and it's so loud! Louder than a kettle for sure.
    Youtube reviews of coffee machines will usually have a demo in them, so you can gauge how loud they are in those videos.

Also, maybe have a look on Gumtree or Ebay for coffee machines - some may be unwanted gifts and are brand new/barely used.
    Originally October 2042 // Goal December 2032
    Currently at £127,500

End of fix goal: £75,000 by September 2024
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking more a filter coffee machine MissC. Like we used to have in the eighties! That do like 12 cups of coffee in one go.

I'm so chuffed. Sold something else on Fleabay for £30 so have reached my August goal of £277.30 in the mortgage neutral fund. IN fact, I've gone £4.54 over with a total of £281.84. Since I started this last month my MN fund is sitting at £458.70. I'd NEVER have saved that before this diary. What's scary is I'm not sure what it would have gone on. That's two months off my mortgage term if I paid it today. So chuffed!