ZC's Aim for a little independence - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search

ZC's Aim for a little independence

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
257 replies 25.8K views

Replies

• zcrat41zcrat41 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

My M&S account is up and running now so I can apply for their 6% regular saver. I'm wondering though if I would be better off beginning to invest in an S&S ISA? I did use to have all my savings in a cash ISA but I moved them to better current acc rates. I've been reading a bit of the Monevator website and found it quite interesting. Think a bit more research is needed.

Could be a spendy day today as we're off to look at a new car seat for DS. He's 17.8 kilos so we'll need the next stage up. DH wants to go out for lunch. I've told him I'm happy to make sandwiches + slow cooker tea but he still wants to go out so lunch is on him!

Have a nice weekend everyone and don't get blown away!
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

So we chose a car seat yesterday. Will look online this week for the best deals/vouchers etc. It's a bit of a minefield as the manufacturers are a bit cheeky by putting "extra safety" things on different models and not providing any info as to how they make them safer. We have gone for a mid range one that looks good to us.

My shop and scan kit arrived yesterday. Not sure if it'll be worthwhile but we'll give it a go.

So DH who was going to pay for our meal yesterday discovered I had some Pizza Express vouchers so we ended up using those. I had got them squirrelled away for something like that. The meal was lovely but eating out with 2 pre-schoolers is never relaxing. We wonder why we do it!

Raining here today so no farm work. Hopefully get through some house jobs and also get back on top of my diet and exercise. I've really let it slip over harvest.

Have a nice Sunday everyone
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Morning all. It's been a few days since I've posted. All still going well at Chez ZC. Grocery budget is a little tight for the end of the month but just about do able. We're eating a lot of plums from the orchard which is meaning a LOT of messy nappies!

Just paid my DD's gymnastic fees for Sept - Dec - £75 of 14 weeks. Quite expensive but it's the only activity she's doing and has every done (she's only 2) I'm a frustrated gymnast and I want my kids to try all sorts of sports! DS is going to start swimming lessons from September so it's one activity a week each for them.

Can't decide whether to book our summer holiday for next year now or wait till next year. Apparently there's more child spaces released on Boxing day. Anyone got any experience of this?
  • cookie9cookie9 Forumite
    762 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Spa break sounds lovely. We too are struggling with the heat. At the moment we do a high energy activity in the morning then stay inside during the midday heat. Cool baths at night.
    MFW 91 op 2014 £410/1000
    MFW 91 op 2015 £4051/4000
    MFW 91 op 2016 £4040/4000
    MFW 91 op 2017 £812/4500
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all. So I've just been sorting out my August budget v spends. It's been a tight month but I've managed to save £291.27 which is £13.80 over my target of £277.3. I'm really chuffed with myself as I would have spend that before I started this diary.

Bit of a spendy day today. Promised DS a new toy for staying in his bed of 5 nights in a row - he only went and chose an expensive one! It's the first toy we've bought him since last Xmas and he'd done really well though.

Bought 6 bottles of Prosecco for the nursery Xmas gifts with 25% off at Tesco. Must. Keep. Till. Xmas.....!

DH paid for fish & chips last night as he really fancied them.

Have ordered my first Swagbucks voucher - I went for an Amazon £25 instead of the cash as I think it's better value and I can used it towards Xmas/Birthday gifts. Got a 5 year old girl's birthday coming up - any suggestions?!

My paper delivery has started. It is a luxury at £41pm but it feels like a little present arriving every morning and I love it!

Off to a family party now. Hope the rains stays away. Have a good weekend everyone.
  • PennyJarPennyJar Forumite
    114 posts
    Hi ZC,

Awe well done on all your progress and savings...let me know how the scan and go goes...

Just got back from week on hols so won't be saving much this month as intended...but we had a lovely time.

Will be back on track hopefully soon.

PennyJar
    Debt Free - 2011 (£15, 000) :T | MFiT - T4 #78 £0/£20,000 (Mortgage reduction target)
    Mortgage Free Goal - 2026 (£101, 062) | #198 Emergency Fund Challenge £500/£1000
    Massive :money: fan - thank you for changing the game!
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

New month started & month 3 of my challenge to be sub 50k with mortgage neutrality.

So my M&S saver is up and running now. Am waiting on the £100 voucher. Hope it doesn't take too long as DD is growing at a rate of knots. Have decided to fill up my monthly savers & when they expire I'm going look into S&S Isa's. I also have a Tsb rev saver.

Picked up a coffee machine on eBay foR £5. After a good clean & descale it seems to work well. It has a timer on it - I'm so excited about coming down for coffee & the papers at the weekend! Can't get over how pleased I am with my paper delivery, DD who's only 2 shouts "paper" as it arrives & pretends to read & DS (3) is asking me all sorts of questions as I read.

Sold DD's flower girl outfit for £20 on eBay. Seems sad to see it to but it's only sit in the loft.

We needed a new mattress. Have found one with 30% off at Argos; plus a further 20% off meaning we e got a good quality one for £200. It's supposed to have 10% cash ack too but has only tracked at 1%.

I'm on a jam making mission at the moment. We have an orchard on the farm and I like to make the most of the fruit. I use it for nursery gifts and my contribution to the harvest festival.

We've booked our winter holiday. 6 nights in Scotland at a hotel for dinner bed and breakfast for £1380. It includes a separate room for the kids (but joined iykwim) and 6 hours of childcare so we get to eat posh dinners whilst the kids are entertains! Quite pleased with ththe value. Next aim is to book our summ r holiday and keep an eye out for good deals on that.

Woke up at 4am & couldn't get back to sleep - realised I'd left the sprinkler on all night when I only meant to leave it on for 10 mins!!

Have a good day everyone
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Evening all.

Lovely weekend but a one unplanned spend - went to a local kids festival which ended up being £16.50 entrance�� All went to charity so not too bothered.

We're sticking to the meal plan and eating from the orchard well at the moment. Even had a picnic in the car today between gymnastics & swimming.

First day of classes for the kids & they loved them. Gave us more structure to the day & at sub £5 a class I'm very impressed with the value for money. Watch our Phelps/Whitlock!!!

Need to chase the Telegraph as I was supposed to get a £25 John Lewis voucher for signing up but it hasn't come through yet.

So chuffed with my coffee machine working well!
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone.
    Looks like Autumn is here - I've been looking forwards to stews, leaves and long walks!

Still doing really well with my challenge. Dad gave me £50 for working so hard over August so that got added to my o/p pot. I've hit my September target of £277.30 and even exceeded it by £52.70 with Dad's money.

Have begun buying the odd bit for Xmas. We're hosting so it won't be cheap. Tesco had 2 tubs of heroes for £7 - now I just need to not eat them till Xmas!! Gpt

After taking DD to gymnastics I discovered they do an Adult session. I went this week and LOVED it. It was £10 per session so quite expensive but it's for 1.5 hours with proper coaches in a proper gym and it makes me feel I'm 15 again! I think I'll go again. I try to run as well which covers my cardio so doing gym will cover my strength and conditioning.

DS has also taken up mini rugby. At £7 a pop and £30 to sign up that's not been cheap. Since he's been doing these activities though I've noticed a real change in his behaviour - much better at listening and properly tired out.
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    So we screwed the budget a bit last night by going out for an unplanned meal. We're both tired as DH has being working so hard - no day off for 5 weeks and counting now. Luckily a Quidco payment cleared last night so I think I'll put it towards that.

O/P fund is now sitting at £760 - it would clear my mortgage 3 months early. Spoke to my tenant this week - he's fab. I asked to just pop round as I haven't seen the house in a year and just want to keep an eye on if any work needs doing. He's offered to do it himself! I'll buy the stuff. He says he doesn't want paying but I'll pop in a voucher or some cash with his xmas card. It's only painting and his brother is a painter you see. I hope he stays for ages - he's a fab tenant.

As my plan is more to be mortgage neutral rather than pay it off I'm wondering if I should open a S&S ISA? Any suggestions on where to start for that?

I'm also thinking I might wind down the saving a little bit as I'd really like to replace our hallway carpet and buy a new chair for our living room in time for xmas. If I add up my pension, my savings & house value my personal net worth is £89 013 after the mortgage. Quite surprised that's so high! I'm thinking I might get quotes for carpets and see where I go. Maybe pause till xmas then restart in January.