PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Hi Elona, I think you're on the right track. When I volunteered with the CAB, we'd often find older ladies who had zero proof of ID and it can cause a lot of problems. I'm not planning oversees travel for the foreseeable, but I will keep my passport up, unless it was a case of not being able to afford the renewal without starvation/ failing to make rent or something equally desperate.

If you have a current passport, you can renew a photocard driver's license online (they link to your passport photo). I used this service last time, did the renewal on the Saturday and had the license on the doormat the Thurday. Impressive.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Living_proof
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    Floating around FluTrackers and things are getting interesting...
    On 6th Sept, about 100 passengers on a flight from Dubai were taken ill during the flight and met by medical personnel at JFK airport. Some have been kept in hospital.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45432813

And thennn - multiple passengers on various flights into Philadephia Int Airport - on the same day, the 6th - were taken ill on the flights.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2018/09/06/philadelphia-international-airport-cdc-investigating-multiple-passengers-sick-international-flights/

Illness currently looks like flu but they have not said which strain. And it must be a hell of an infectious flu if they boarded a flight ok in Dubai and came off it ill in New York. :eek:

It turned out to be just 10 pax Mar, and it looked like something they had had before boarding. It is rather worrying though because the ventilation systems on planes is recycled so it's getting puffed throughout the whole passenger contingent. Still, on a miserable wet day like today it won't stop me flying anywhere warm and inviting!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Witless
    Witless Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    Floating around FluTrackers and things are getting interesting...

That's one way of putting it ..................

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-45459913
  • silverwhistle
    Options
    Ah, scrounging! I can't go past tree surgeons operating without asking. They'll keep ash and oak for themselves but anything else they tend to let go: willow, poplar, lime, chestnut, leylandii, all burn well once seasoned. I must be doing something right as my annual gas bill is around £70, and the last two visits from the sweep he didn't need to actually sweep!

Other successes include slops from the local pub for my slug traps and any number of pallets which I split up for kindling.
  • Elona_2
    Elona_2 Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    GQ

I have let the passport expire which I would not normally do but will have a look at the paperwork over the next few days and start things off. My driver's licence if I could find it is so old it would not have a photo and I doubt my bus pass would cut much ice.

I am trying to reverse think things and not ask "what do I need. want" but what would make me unhappy if I did not have it in the house. Things like medications, toilet paper, soap, shampoo, shower gel, toothpaste, basic groceries, tins of soup , tomatoes , beans in case of being a bit poorly or it being too icy to leave the house.

DH used to laugh and accuse me of playing shops but changed his tune when next door neighbour had work done which meant we had no water. He muttered on a bit about wanting a mug of tea and looked shocked when I presented him with a huge mug of tea a few minutes later. When he asked how I had done it I sweetly explained I had used the big bottles of water in the garage that "were a waste". DDs have been a bit bemused by me having extra stores of stuff but now appreciate it when there are supplies they are welcome to help themselves to.

I am still chuffed I have an electric oven but gas hob and a Kelley kettle hidden away.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    When I volunteered with the CAB, we'd often find older ladies who had zero proof of ID and it can cause a lot of problems. I'm not planning oversees travel for the foreseeable, but I will keep my passport up, unless it was a case of not being able to afford the renewal without starvation/ failing to make rent or something equally desperate.

Not this particular older lady but it occurs to me that by being the admin bod, my husband might be missing presumed somewhere as he has No unique ID at present. Not even a Costco card (my easy-to-put-my-hand-on photo ID)
    If you have a current passport, you can renew a photocard driver's license online (they link to your passport photo). I used this service last time, did the renewal on the Saturday and had the license on the doormat the Thursday.
    Very impressive - I looked at that online & thought I need a new photo as the old one is not to current standards, but if they auto-splice in your driving mugshot, I'll be all legal again! <putters off to try>
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've had to provide ID twice in the last month: once to the horrible solicitor my mum used to do her will, and we've now discovered the firm has held on to the house deeds of the house that we're selling - no mention of it, of course, the *first* time we proved our identities. Had to prove them all over again to get the house deeds: passport, proof of residence and a recent utility bill (luckily, my water authority still sends paper versions of their bills, otherwise there'd be a problem). If I'd gone paperless for my bank statements, that would have been the same problem - annual paper statements from pensions/savings accounts aren't good enough.

And the bank thats named for the receipt of funds when we sell insists that we open another bank account to receive them. We opened a bank account to do all the Executor-ish stuff, but it names my brother, and thats not good enough for them; so they needed the same three ID documents.

ID is a *huge* issue. Rightly so, of course, but it means that you can't ignore it in your preps; I haven't checked what to do if you're entirely paperless, but I think I will ....
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Hear, hear, Karmakat.

The last time I had to sign on (2004, very briefly), DWP required sight of my passport. I am living in the county where I was born, all of 20 miles from my birthplace and in a city which has been my home for about 30 years and they still wanted to see my blinking passport as if I'd just stepped off the boat. Unbelievable!

I use my photocard driver's license as proof of ID, it is universally acceptable by Royal Mail, the Police etc.

I hired a car three months ago from a company nearby where I have been a repeat customer. Each time they want a recent utility bill/ bank statement, proof of NINO (I still have the orginal red & blue plastic card with that on which I was issued with in the early 80s).

I only have one paper bill (water) which is twice yearly but can print off a .pdf energy bill if necessary. Certain things which are local authority does for the public require a proof of residence (utility bill) which is no more than 3 months old, which can be a problem for some.

One of my thoughts about the terrible events at the Grenfell tower block fire is that most of those people would have fled with no ID. Life without ID is very difficult - imagine having to get past the security at your own bank to access your own money with no debit/ credit cards and no ID.

The blogger FerFAL has written about the importance of having a small bag of essential documents which can be grabbed in seconds if you have to evacuate your home in an emergency. Mine is in my BOB. When I visit the 'rents, that folder of docs goes with me so, if the worst came to the worst and my flat was robbed/ burned, they would not be lost.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    :) Hear, hear, Karmakat.
    Thanks GQ! You'd stated it yourself, really, I was just adding more experiences :o
    One of my thoughts about the terrible events at the Grenfell tower block fire is that most of those people would have fled with no ID. Life without ID is very difficult - imagine having to get past the security at your own bank to access your own money with no debit/ credit cards and no ID.
    I have news on that! Earlier this month, I was cat-sitting in Wandsworth - and I'll be thrown out the prepper club for admitting this, but I'd forgotten to put my cash in my purse, and I'd forgotten to check I had my debit card :o:o:o I did have my (two) credit cards, but neither are attached to any one bank, and I knew I'd be charged for getting cash. And it turns out that supermarkets don't do cashback any more - I didn't know that :rotfl:

So, there *was* a branch of my own bank a couple of blocks away, and I told them my situation. I filled in a form, presumably they had a jpeg of my signature on file that they could compare it to, and the address details were fine too, of course. I think the thing that clinched it was that I knew they weren't allowed to ring me (because I had a 45 minute conversation with them a few months ago, 25 minutes of which was me taking and passing their ID questions).

They let me have £100 without anything else!
    The blogger FerFAL has written about the importance of having a small bag of essential documents which can be grabbed in seconds if you have to evacuate your home in an emergency. Mine is in my BOB. When I visit the 'rents, that folder of docs goes with me so, if the worst came to the worst and my flat was robbed/ burned, they would not be lost.
    You know what, I'm going to listen to our advice :D My BOB, such as it is, is upstairs :o but I'm going to keep my security flash drive on me at all times now.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 9 September 2018 at 11:05AM
    Options
    Success - well, mostly. My passport had lapsed & although you can still recognise me, I have to send in new photos. Which, given they have the current driving licence photo, strikes me as a bit daft & rather annoying but there you go.

If these things were easy, everyone would have them! (how best to convey darkly sarcastic inflection?!)

Can I use my to-be-returned defunct passport as alternative ID? Or must all photo ID be current (blistering inconvenient & expensive unless Costco card etc acceptable!)

I'm unconvinced it is worth my getting a validate card too - I have my drivers licence, costco card & work ID two of which are vouched for photos, but the lads had them as at under £30 they're cheaper proof of age.

I admire hanging onto the vintage drivers ID - very shrewd!

Proof of residence? <googles - by no means definitive but useful>
    Government-issued photo ID.
    Residential lease/property deed.
    Utility bill.
    Letter from the government/court (marriage license, divorce, government aid)
    Bank statement.
    Driver's license/learner's permit.
    Car registration.
    Notarized affidavit of residency.
    Hm, must stash a few of those.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income