PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 9 September 2018 at 12:45PM
    Options
    :) My pal with the juntique shop seldom darkens the door of his own bank but went in the other week to pay in a cheque. He was given the first degree by the cashier and asked to provide proof of ID.

He produced a driver's license but it turned out to be the one that recently expired not the new one which was accidentally at home and he was in the wrong with her, even tho he pointed out that all the details were identical.

Bearing in mind that he was paying into, not trying to take money out of, his very own account. With his very own paying in book.

I sometimes pay cheques in for him as a favour and they never give me any grief! But then, I am a scary lady...:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I haven't got a current passport or a photo driving license. I do have a Costco card though :D and a blue badge.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Success - well, mostly. My passport had lapsed & although you can still recognise me, I have to send in new photos. Which, given they have the current driving licence photo, strikes me as a bit daft & rather annoying but there you go.

If these things were easy, everyone would have them! (how best to convey darkly sarcastic inflection?!)

Can I use my to-be-returned defunct passport as alternative ID? Or must all photo ID be current (blistering inconvenient & expensive unless Costco card etc acceptable!)

I'm unconvinced it is worth my getting a validate card too - I have my drivers licence, costco card & work ID two of which are vouched for photos, but the lads had them as at under £30 they're cheaper proof of age.

I admire hanging onto the vintage drivers ID - very shrewd!

Proof of residence? <googles - by no means definitive but useful>

Hm, must stash a few of those.

I have DBS Enhanced clearance for work. Due to [strike]a complete screw up[/strike] admin issue on their end, I had to provide all the documents needed for a new check on the first day back at work. The requirements clearly state VALID passport/driving licence (presumably, one could steal an old passport, change the photo and suchlike without the owner noticing).

Once I'd sworn my way through where half the documents had been relocated by the OH before we left, having used a couple of them just a few weeks earlier, I took them in. Shortly afterwards, work discovered their mistake, but had that not happened, I'd have been unable to do a huge part of my job, being supervising children, until new clearance had been obtained - which could have been weeks or months with the general crapness of the DBS. And had my passport not been in date, I'd have had to find five separate pieces of ID, four of which either do not exist or were issued over three months ago, so I'd have been unable to work for fear of them failing an Ofsted at the first hurdle, being 'are Safeguarding procedures being followed?' - and I'd have been unable to claim benefit for the period of going unpaid because that requires a passport and a whole bunch of current ID to do so.

Get them up to date. A Costco card is not ID.

Himself used to say he didn't exist, as his driving licence was out of date, his passport had expired and he didn't have a current work ID card belonging to a large company. To all intents and purposes, he didn't. As his bank told him when he tried to collect a replacement bank card.

It might be because I'm slightly more obstreperous, but I've not had any problem with counter withdrawals at my bank. Although that might be because I can rattle off the details without pausing for breath - it's certainly not because I can tell them one of the most recent debits to go out, as I generally don't have the slightest clue.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • silverwhistle
    Options
    So you all think we should have ID cards then? <grins and ducks>.

Some of you have obviously had the same diffficulties the Empress Windrush generation have had, and in some of their cases they've ended up destitute in Jamaica after working here for XX years!

We are the only country I'm aware of that doesn't have them. I lived in Italy where you're meant to carry them at all times. I didn't when I was wandering around my town, but would definitely have it when driving. Never got stopped by the Carabinieri, but they did random checks.

The problem is with the current system is that you have to spend money to prove your existence if you do that by means of a passport. My mum has never had a driving licence for example.

Mind you, if they did have ID cards I wouldn't put it past them that they'd charge you for the privilege of existing, which like so many current policies would hit the poorest the hardest.
  • mumf
    mumf Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    I haven't got a current passport or a photo driving license. I do have a Costco card though :D and a blue badge.

My passport is expired,and I have an old style paper driving license.I am doomed!
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    :p If you have a driver's license, it operates as a de facto ID card anyway, so I can't see any point in being awkward about not having ID cards for everyone. That way, non-drivers and no-longer-drivers like my mother (who has surrendered her license for medical reasons) are not inconvenienced.

You have to prove you exist to TPTB all the time anyway; I can receite my national insurance number from memory although I'd have to look up my NHS number.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's interesting the way the different sexes are treated by people in authority...

I just spent a few days in a fancy hotel in Torquay with gf. Our room cards served as debit cards for food, treatments, etc. I mentioned to gf that I was asked for mine every time, but she just quoted her room no. She did not believe me, until arriving for dinner, the maitre d' asked for my room card followed ten minutes later by the waiter!
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    jk0 wrote: »
    It's interesting the way the different sexes are treated by people in authority...

I just spent a few days in a fancy hotel in Torquay with gf. Our room cards served as debit cards for food, treatments, etc. I mentioned to gf that I was asked for mine every time, but she just quoted her room no. She did not believe me, until arriving for dinner, the maitre d' asked for my room card followed ten minutes later by the waiter!
    :D Perhaps you are atypical of their guest profile and they're worried you might be an interloper, jk0!
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :D Perhaps you are atypical of their guest profile and they're worried you might be an interloper, jk0!

Yeah. We had a little joke about tramps putting a suit on, and sitting down for dinner claiming their card was upstairs. :)
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'll survive: that scary lady thing is Useful. Pity the husband may not...
    Youngest not yet Documented but has an a NI number.

Prepared for the monstrous unimaginable Christmas again. Home bargains have bamboo reusable coffee cups, boxed, at £1.99 so I started prepping...
    Well, that's my story & my poor bemused menfolk can lump it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure