PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    A long long time ago I worked in an Infectious Diseases ward, I came across Weil's Disease and never forgot how bloody horrible it was.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Blisteringly busy here just now - will calm down after the big festival & Mum's move, in just over a week - but just wanting to add thanks for the warning about Weil's disease. A friend of ours, a sturdy builder & retained firefighter, caught it & nearly died; it's certainly not something to be shrugged off.
    Angie - GC June 24: £341.07/£420: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 15/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh my. I hadn't thought about the rats urine being stronger in the current weather ... Cappella, so sorry to hear about your son's friend. Thriftwizard's friend nearly being in the same situation too :(

As far as my own prepping is concerned - I know this sounds ridiculous, but my dishwasher was fitted yesterday :o:o:o that means that my energy is no longer being diverted into washing bleeping dishes :p and also that I can start to use my slow cooker again (with my arthritic shoulder, its too heavy to wash by hand).

I *have* kept the drawers from the old one, including one windmilly thing. I bet if tshtf I could set up a windmill :D
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • mardatha
    Options
    KC with arthritis in the shoulder - can you knit? Or aren't you a knitter and you don't know...?
  • mumf
    mumf Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got weils disease when I was 17.Swimming in the river.Needless to say I almost died.My liver went into shutdown and I lost a third of my bodyweight inside a week!That was during a hot ,dry Summer too. Dont underestimate rat p#ss!.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    KC with arthritis in the shoulder - can you knit? Or aren't you a knitter and you don't know...?
    I can knit, Mar, and I can prove it because I did knitting for my Silver Duke of Edinburgh's Award when I was 15 :D :rotfl:but I haven't tried since the op. Or for about 3 years before then, when it was getting bad. If I *had* to do it, I'd do it, of course, but that repetitive movement is a no-no otherwise. I've just inherited my mum's sewing machine, a very good Elna ... erm, I was 12 years old the last time I used a sewing machine; nowadays, I look at the way you have to thread the needle, and load the spool, and my brain goes sort of blurry :p

Do you knit? Sew? Crochet? Crochet hurts as much as knitting :(
    mumf wrote: »
    I got weils disease when I was 17.Swimming in the river.Needless to say I almost died.My liver went into shutdown and I lost a third of my bodyweight inside a week!That was during a hot ,dry Summer too. Dont underestimate rat p#ss!.
    That is **horrendous**, mumf :(

I'm remembering something about supermarket packaging, thought I'd bring this link in: http://www.bromley.gov.uk/leaflet/260990/11/755/d
    Over last winter, when I was still pretty ill, I got into the habit of washing the packaging of everything that was in my supermarket delivery. Partly it was about flu germs, but I'm remembering now that it was also about seeing this sort of thing: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5804579/tesco-worker-almost-dies-after-rat-urine-drips-on-his-face-at-supermarket-depot-and-he-contracts-deadly-weils-disease/
    I still do it.

I've already found a use for the dishwasher drawers - cats have been digging very near the newly planted chives, so I plonked the drawers over the new little plants. They're quite heavy as garden things go, I don't think the cats would try to budge them.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • ziggy2004
    ziggy2004 Posts: 391 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi! :hello:

I have enjoyed reading this thread! I have not been on MSE for a long time but the OS board made a huge difference when we had a very tight patch years ago.

I never considered myself a prepper as having a well stocked pantry was just the way to do things in my family. We have had several times over the last 10 years where having that pantry saved the day ( flooding, snow, road closures) and having the option to keep the house warm has also been something we have had to do without our heating system several times.

I live in rural SW Scotland with my 4 small people and one other big person. We are lucky enough to have a nice big garden and have a poly tunnel as well as several fruit trees and a fruit patch. I love to cook and fill my pantry with home made things like jams, cordials, compotes and some vegetables. I sew - clothes and quilts but only knit under duress.

My goal this summer is to sort out the pantry storage, get a small freezer in there for extra freezer space and evict DH's tools from there.

We are doing some last work on the house so that it is in a good position to be remortgaged when our current deal runs out. ( we have a very old stone house which needed a tremendous amount of work doing to it when we bought it but we are slowly getting there)
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,666 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello Ziggy:wave:

Nice to have someone else along for company
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    someone local to dd has just been dignosed with weils, caught from a mill pond
  • mardatha
    Options
    Karmacat I knit. But wondering if I won't be able to this year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport