PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    some very very good advice again, thanks. I`ll be using my existing kettle then and I could have a pallet pushed in but we had pallets here and when empted then hubbie used to saw them up to take them to the recycling in the car and I could see that they were horrible to cut up. I am very interested in what herbily has to say about coals2u. They can actually park right close to the garage and with the door open it is only a couple of yards in. The bags are 20-25 kilos so that is just too heavy for me to manhandle, apart from cutting the bags . and scooping. That is another minor worry potentially sorted. The track up to the house is like a one track narrow lane, tarmac but is 60m long.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,911 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 16 July 2018 at 11:43AM
    Options
    DigForVictory I'm not sure I understood your post correctly. Are you hiding under the table which has the thick blanket over it? (Actually that brings back rather happy memories of playing "houses" under a grey Army blanket draped over the clothes horse :))

Yes.
    It seemed a reasonable response at the time.

I have since emerged to admire son munching a packet of Cheetos (Scrupulously did not scream at him on several different counts, merely reminded him of proper disposal of rubbish) then headed out to greet my Edible Hedge & start a preliminary picking. A couple of pounds of so-green-they-could-be-irradiated googegogs, and the same weight again of little purple gogs, tayberries, raspberries & even a few wild strawberries!

Proper prepping is blinking good fun & will taste glorious..
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    A regular delivery from a coalman is a good idea, because they will fight through hell and high snow to get your coal to you. They know how much it matters. Ours have come at all hours of the day and night in the past when bad weather was imminent, to make sure we were ok for coal. And he will dump it wherever we want.
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    some very very good advice again, thanks. I`ll be using my existing kettle then and I could have a pallet pushed in but we had pallets here and when empted then hubbie used to saw them up to take them to the recycling in the car and I could see that they were horrible to cut up.

If you didn't want them, you might think about offering pallets on freecycle or similar - people use them for all kinds of things, and any offered round here are soon taken :) Save worrying about cutting them up!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Oh happy day, I've been watching CNN again on the cusp of the Trump Putin meeting (description by ambassador) /Summit (corrected by Mr T) and apparently when interviewed earlier on today Mr. Trump, when asked who his biggest foes were named.....The EU in first place! golly gosh when did that happen?
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Lyn, I've always found CNN full of hyperbole and very annoying. I can't be arrissed to watch/ listen to the orange one and his verbal dribble on any channel. News is (imo anyway) just glorified parish pump gossip. It's a froth of speculation and akin to the dissection of an unseen beastie conducted through a heavy curtain, whilst using tongs and wearing a blindfold.

Give it about 50 years and a lot of historical research, and we might just about be able to unpick what we're trying to fathom in real time. You and I should live so long, hey? ;)

Be calm. Ignore it. One's own peace of mind and blood pressure are far more important and worth nurturing.

We've got a beautiful summer going on here in 2018. Join me, in spirit, as I admire the jewel-like orbs of home-grown redcurrants and the felicitious combination of lavender bushes and self-sown field poppies under a blazing blue sky. And the sunflowers, don't even get me started on the loveliness of sunflowers and the heavy drone of velvety bumblebees weaving between the aforementioned floral offerings......... ! And the frogs by the standtap, with their glorious eyes.

Words disturb nothing but air. All flesh is grass (mine is probably destined to be couch grass, lol).

G'night. dear lady, I'm offline and into the real world to chillout with some tea and a good book for a while before bedtime. Tomorrow is another day, if we're spared. I'll be taking phonecalls for some of it, most probably about wheelie bins ............... :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It's on the MSN newsfeed page we have on the computer when it's resting, I'm not disturbed M'dear I'm just bemused at the very strange phenomenon that is US politics these days and why it happened? it's all so very, very odd isn't it?
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    DawnW wrote: »
    If you didn't want them, you might think about offering pallets on freecycle or similar - people use them for all kinds of things, and any offered round here are soon taken :) Save worrying about cutting them up!

I've never had any problems getting rid of pallets. I've now had a fair number of deliveries of stuff on pallets since moving here - but I've got a standing arrangement with a friends husband that he comes and takes them away. They use them to chop up for wood for fuel purposes.

Suits us both - I get shot of the pallets and they get some free fuel.

I imagine you'll probably know someone personally that wants them - but, if you don't, then you could indeed offer them on Freecycle/Freegle. On the other hand some local Facebook pages put posts up from "locals" offering unwanted goods and it could be done that way. Either way - it would be up to them to chop them up.

Another option is that maybe the county you are in might have a "name of county" gardening group on Facebook.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Kittie, could you not burn the pallet on whatever appliance is burning what comes on the pallet? :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    please prep for heat more than prep for cold. This heat and bad air quality is a real killer. Paramedics arrived at my neighbours house last night, wife is a doctor, her older husband has not been coping with the air all week. Thankfully they left alone after a good hour in there. Thick curtains, fans, drinks, closed windows when out is hotter than in. She has the drugs, I have the prepping skill and my identical house is a lot cooler
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure