PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sadly most of our apples from on the big tree are On The Ground! the drop is phenomenal and there are very few left on the tree to be able to mature. It's arid down here, I've even in 1976 never seen the grass as parched and dead as it is now, it's turning to dust as we walk on it, absolutely horrible!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) The grass roots will still be alive and it'll come green again with a few days' rain, don't fret.

I saw melting tarmac this afto, there's a sight to take you back in time. Also, a recollection from the summer of '76 is that, as water levels drop in rivers etc, there's an increased risk of Weil's Disease spread by rat urine, as it'll be less diluted. Something to bear in mind as it's a nasty illness.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Is that one of the reasons why some allotments ban hosepipes GQ do you know? I overheard two fellas talking about the prospect of the council getting iffy over water run off into the neighbouring beck and because it's low they fear a hosepipe ban.

I couldn't fathom what their angle was but if its a public health issue that might make some sense.

Apologies - grammar worse than ever. I hope you get the gist.:o
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    +1 for Weil's is nasty. Lapsed caver here & I've seen colleagues jacked into heavy duty antibiotics. It can all start seeming innocuous, but we watched over the unexpectedly-severely-overhung & of they hadn't got their voom back after 24 hours of supervised food & hydration, we handed them off to the medics.

Made the days the days after Fiesta a bit ticklish, but better to watch & be certain than have a thunking great bag dripping into you!
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    fuddle wrote: »
    Is that one of the reasons why some allotments ban hosepipes GQ do you know? I overheard two fellas talking about the prospect of the council getting iffy over water run off into the neighbouring beck and because it's low they fear a hosepipe ban.

I couldn't fathom what their angle was but if its a public health issue that might make some sense.

Apologies - grammar worse than ever. I hope you get the gist.:o
    :) I believe hosepipe bans are always instigated by the water companies to preserve supplies, rather than by councils but I guess individual ones might want to restrict their use on their own lotties if they're paying a metered bill.

As to whether run-off might affect watercourses, I don't know one way or the other. My own site is quarter of a mile from the nearest water (the river).

Re Weil's, I remember being told about (by a water company manager) about a river worker who'd contracted it and been reduced from a strapping giant of a man to a frail shadow of his former self. It was believed that if he'd not been so robust beforehand, it would have been fatal. :(

I can still remember, in the summer of 1976, when we kids spent just about all our free time at the swimming hole on the river, about one particular day. Me, Dad and Kid Bruv had taken a picnic and a load of old towels down and Mum was staying at home getting on with something.

Suddenly, she came biking pell-mell across the grass at us, having heard abut Weil's on Radio 4, and come a mile across the commons etc the get us out of there.:eek:
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    When mega corporations are into prepping, you know we really are trendsetters;)

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-07-16/beware-trade-war-doomsday-prepping-warns-morgan-stanley
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 July 2018 at 8:32PM
    Options
    Your mum was right Greyqueen.
    Weil's disease is a filthy killer. My sons best friend died of it when he was fifteen. He had bad asthma and the Weil's made it worse, he had a really bad attack and didn't come out of it. He was a keen fisherman and picked it up whilst fishing in the canal. His family were devastated and so was my son. It was dreadful for all of us.
    To be honest I'm finding myself really upset now thinking about it. I really popped on to the thread to thank Dawn, MrsLW and maryb for their help with the cordial earlier, but I'll report on my experiment later.
    Yes, keep children away from riverbanks and canalbanks in hot water weather. The rats urine will be stronger, and not dispersed by rain. And warn young fishermen and women to keep hands away from faces and mouths. An antibacterial spray when fishing is not a bad idea either.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My quirky side has been throwing me a little mental picture all day of Mr. Trump and Mr. Putin sat opposite each other on their game consoles playing forge of empires with the real world!
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    ((((Cappella)))) so sorry to have brought that unhappy memory up for you. That poor young lad........ :(

Rats are such disease-ridden critters, aren't they?
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 July 2018 at 10:38PM
    Options
    Thank you Greyqueen but you weren't to know; I think though that because of what happened your warning was very necessary.
    I also think there should be serious warnings in danger spots regarding Weil's. My sons friend mum campaigned for them here after she lost him, and the council did eventually put signs up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport