PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh dND, you poor son! Sending best wishes to him and his colleagues :(
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    This is just a very random pondering re- Brexit and prepping of a sorts I wonder if imports of European produce will get to be more expensive in the shops than we can afford to buy after Brexit (if they are in our shops at all that is) if we can't reach a trading agreement and I wonder how many British companies will go out of business that provide us with our 'staples' if they aren't selling to Europe and we haven't got trading agreements with other parts of the world. The pondering is also trying to guess what I'd need to get stocks of that might become very expensive here in the UK if most of their component parts come from Europe. Things like olives and olive oil, not necessarily NEEDED but very nice to have and cheap lemons and other citrus fruits which we've got used to day to day. What will you be looking to get a stock of?
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dND wrote: »
    And please spare a thought for people like my son who's on the phone lines for TSB. None of it is his doing but he's taking all the flak :eek::eek::eek:
    Absolutely! Such a difficult job :( When I have to make a call to a cll centre like that, I make it very clear that my complaint (because thats what it usually is, lets face it) is about policy and bank management, not a complaint about the individual I'm talking to, who is almost certain to be as powerless as I am.

And I always fill in those surveys you sometimes get offered afterwards, which are basically checking up on the staff - I always score high, because the staff are always good. And if the survey leaves space for a diatribe on bank policy, I make sure I use that too :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Olive Oil, MrsL :)
  • Witless
    Witless Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What will you be looking to get a stock of?

Wine, port & brandy.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Ooooo now there's a thought - maybe a career opportunity will arise there. We could set up as smugglers... find a nice secluded lonely wee cove and a handy cave and use our preppers lanterns!
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't forget the four and twenty ponies
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm just wondering how much we've got used to continental and out of season produce? all the year round tomatoes from spain, strawberries on Christmas day, French cheeses, Italian charcuterie, French and german wines, yes the fortified wines too, all the produce from other countries in the EU that we've taken to our hearts and dinner plates and what it might be like to have to go back to luncheon meat and English apples if you can get them with a piece of mousetrap cheddar as the only affordable cheese in the shop?
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    WTO tarriffs on food would be about 25% if I recall. However I think even if it's a messy Brexit, there will still be trade. Bills would certainly be higher but on the other hand we would probably go back to having cheap meat and dairy from Australia, New Zealand and Argentina so it might be swings and roundabouts to an extent

Not forgetting Californian, Chilean, New Zealand Australian and South African wines!

It'll certainly be a bumpy ride, but with an open economy like ours, pricing themselves out of the market just leaves an opening for others
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Witless wrote: »
    Wine, port & brandy.

"Brandy for the Parson, 'baccy for the clerk" as I recall? I must get on restoring that packsaddle - so much easier to shift heavy loads with a suitably bribed & loaded equine...

That said tying the loading knots is distinctly challenging. I practiced one day on a toy horse & was sweating & swearing in half an hour - if I'm going to rope a load on a real horse I think bungee netting may be indicated.

Living on a hill in Lancashire, I do not foresee copious smuggling opportunities, but the Scottish border (with the differential alcohol pricing) is just a stripe of opportunity.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure