PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• Elona_2
    Elona_2 Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    GQ

That is a really good idea and could be used for bank cards, cash, prescriptions passport etc..

I have been sorting out the internal garage so I can find things and it looks a bit tidier and middle dd came round to drop off an overnight holdall before she set off for a friend's wedding. I spent ten minutes holding up tops from my wardrobe asking if they were !!!!!! and for her to be brutally honest and ended up putting quite a few into an air ambulance charity bag that will be picked up on Tuesday. It means I have more space in my wardrobe, a good cause benefits and I know what is there is reasonably flattering. She saw a dress I just bought in a sale hanging outside of the wardrobe and said "I like that!"" and also thought a couple of nighties / lounging robes were proper dresses and liked them.

Waiting up for dd to come back from the wedding as she does not have her key and is staying overnight.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    What a storm! fantastic lightning and biblical rain accompanied by BIG thunder until after midnight, it might have gone on longer but I didn't!!! I was very conscious of being glad I wasn't having to sleep rough in the open air while it was going on but very aware that DD1 was under canvas and looking at the weather pictures on the TV this morning I'm fairly sure her area had the storm too, it seems to have covered an enormous area doesn't it? Hopefully it will cool down a bit now and the weather will give us some nice growing conditions and spring can finally get under way.

It is still hungry gap and the lift to my mood yesterday when He Who Knows came back from the allotment with a lovely big bundle of fresh rhubarb surprised me, we're lucky to have the income to be able to buy from the shops and the shops the produce to buy aren't we? in times past it must have been very lean pickings apart from ageing stores and whatever newly sprouted edibles could be gathered. I walk that Cookie hound making mental salads and soups with the hedgerow and footpath plants that are popping up at this time of year, interesting but I suspect not very tasty!
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,914 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    All suggestions welcome for suitable phrases to use to deal with the phenomenon (recent to me in a leisuretime context) of apparently not being entitled to express one's own personal opinions - when some other people nearby are expressing theirs

So far my family are coping with my unilateral decisions as I mostly conceal them here, but when I do put my tiny foot down, it is attached to the hand that hold the car keys & the banking app.

When the conversation gets too irritating I leave the room, but if my mobility goes a bit I may have to try these:
    Where's a Mitford when you need one? (Come to that, Where's a Purdey & bonus points for the smartalec who replies the haircut retired...)
    Y'know, eccentricity is not an *age*-related disorder.
    Sometimes thought experiments escape the lab.
    Please give up your seat to someone less able to irritate me (punctuate & inflect & omit bits as needful)

Re-reading those, they sound like really passive aggressive fridge magnet sayings but the "I'm just stepping out to update my Will" is a bit ferocious.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 April 2018 at 9:06PM
    Options
    If you do ever watch tv, visiting friends or something, I can highly recommend that programme. I think anyone who moans about the NHS should be forced to sit and watch it.
    But 'moaning about the NHS' doesn't necessarily mean disrespecting the people on the front line. For example if an op gets cancelled, most people realise it is not the fault of the practitioners involved. Our NHS is struggling. This country which used to be a beacon of healthcare is now dropping way behind in the league of medical provision.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/nhs-world-ranking-uk-healthcare-worse-ireland-spain-slovenia-30th-lancet-a7744131.html
    Either the funding or the system or both need a radical rethink. We owe it to the staff featured in that programme and the service in general to carry on moaning!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Absolutely agree Pineapple. I think the stiff upper lip approach is mad - all that does is enable a govt to walk all over you and deny there is anything wrong.
    Red Mard :D
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    pineapple wrote: »
    But 'moaning about the NHS' doesn't necessarily mean disrespecting the people at the front line. For example if an op gets cancelled, most people realise it is not the fault of the practitioners involved. Our NHS is struggling. This country which used to be a beacon of healthcare is now dropping way behind in the league of medical provision.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/nhs-world-ranking-uk-healthcare-worse-ireland-spain-slovenia-30th-lancet-a7744131.html
    Either the funding or the system or both need a radical rethink. We owe it to the staff featured in that programme and the service in general to carry on moaning!

I suppose it depends how you class moaning. I've read threads on here where people were most definitely disrespecting NHS staff.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    For anyone looking for some cheap (and child-safe) emergency lighting, check out B&M Bargains, who are selling a set of three LED lanterns for a fiver. :cool:
    2m42e8g.jpg

Each lantern requires 3xAA batteries, and, by coincidence, £land are currently selling packs of 14xAA batteries.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Looks a good buy BB, but I don't bother with anything that needs batteries, just gives me stress making sure we've got enough of them or that they still work. I'm stashing candles and lanterns and paraffin. Although candles are not cheap any more!
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What a storm! fantastic lightning and biblical rain accompanied by BIG thunder until after midnight, it might have gone on longer but I didn't!!! !
    I'm terrified of thunder and lightening. I took the dog out for a late night pee and it started with sheet lightening all around. The dog is terrified of storms too and I had to put him on the lead in case he bolted - which made it extremely difficult to keep both fingers in my ears as the two of us scarpered back home.:(
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It's just started to persist it down. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills