PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• humptydumptybits
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) Heartily agree with the sentiments, but have been TV-free for 31 years now, so haven't watched the programme.

Good health is not the reward for a life of righteous choices nor is bad health the punishment for poor choices/ poor mental attitudes/ the sins of your ancestors.

Yes, there are some things which are always unwise, such smoking, taking drugs, living entirely on takeaways and never walking any further than from couch to car, but there are people who do these things for decades and get off scot-free. And there are lovely lentil-eating organic yoga-practising personages who will die of horrible diseases before they hit their fourth decade. :(

Should a person go through her life rigidly thinking along the lines of; I don't do unwise things therefore I'll be OK, jack, a person might have some very rude awakenings in the coming years.

Many years ago, I cannot recall where, I saw a quote (I paraphrase from memory):
    If all the woes of the world were to be piled up, and we were each obliged to shoulder an equal share, most of us would be happy to pick our own burdens back up again, and carry on.

I think the bit in bold is very true. If you do ever watch tv, visiting friends or something, I can highly recommend that programme. I think anyone who moans about the NHS should be forced to sit and watch it.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 21 April 2018 at 6:16PM
    Options
    maryb wrote: »
    If you really need to go to A&E then it's probably blues and twos

Just because they close A&E doesn't mean you will have no facilities. Minor injuries and urgent care units can deal with most things that one thinks of as falling under the remit of A&E. Are they planning one of those as a replacement?

Early days to tell at the moment how things will be - they're just starting one of those so-called "public consultations" at the moment. But they have been quite definite saying that, whatever happens the A & E at both those hospitals will close. There is supposed to be what they are referring to as something new of the "super duper" variety being built rather further away from many people - but, on past performance, the "something new" is most likely to not be available until some time after "what's already here" has closed.

I find it particularly scary - because of having been used to a choice of facilities and no question of shutting any of them and there never seemed to be unfilled posts (never mind hundreds of unfilled posts!!) or, if there was then I never heard about it.

Hence my personal plans are "pay whatever it takes to get to wherever I have to get to" if it comes to it (even if that means all the way back to my home city) and then try and reclaim the costs afterwards.

This is one of the occasions where I find it scarey living outside a city I admit.

Re your later comment on length of time between cataract operations - and friend here that is currently awaiting both eyes being done has been told it's due to be a year between eye 1 and eye 2 (because of shortage of staff) !!!! Cue for me being very glad I've got my cheapo health insurance I have and know I wouldnt have to wait any longer than my own body dictates if it came to it for either eye 1 or eye 2 - they would both be done exactly when they're due. Which is a relief - as optician recently told me I might get cataracts too when I'm older - agh!!!
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,909 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just this morning I had the pleasure of interacting with our local NHS in the form of the drop in centre (provided to calm anxieties as the more local A&E was closed). Son's burned mitt was unwrapped, examined, a short debate as to onwards options, implemented & lad sent on his way neatly repacked, with a treatment room appointment for the likely final unwrapping on Tuesday.

As for might I make it to 90 - well, so long as I'm enjoying life, that sounds like fun. If various joints have gone west & the meds no longer effective, I will go shovel snow clad in a wicked grin. However I have two parents active & alert & over 80, so I suspect the lads are condemned to me a bit longer yet. Largely as I'm fearsome curious.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    her surgeon fighting for a bed for her amidst the winter bed crisis.

Sadly there will always be situations like this, because you can't just magic up beds and staff, to deal with these situations.

Even if we could train/recruit enough staff to cover every possible level of patient demand (and said extra staff weren't themselves struck down by the illness(s) that was/were causing the crisis), the taxpayer wouldn't be happy funding the extra staff, during the majority of the year, when they weren't needed.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :j Kid Bruv has got me a copy of Tess Pennington's The Prepper's Blueprint for the princely sum of 50 pence! The only frustrating thing is that it's at the hometown and I won't be over there until some point next month. Still pretty chuffed, tho.:D
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We are in for a rather interesting looking thunder storm, we had some deep old rumbles earlier on and the sky all round is getting blacker and blacker, I've just seen the fastest moving sheet of cloud zip across the visible sky under the really dark higher layers, like something out of a Si Fi film and after total stillness the wind is really beginning to pick up, an interesting thing to watch if a little eerie! just had a huge flash of lightning over the river, and another going to be a rough one I think...see you later!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Stay safe, Lyn, we're supposed to get some of that in the next wee whiley, too; I'm putting the pooter to bed, covering the mirrors and sacrificing a Ryveeta to the Godz of Thunder.

NB, two out of those three things were Fibs. ;)
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options

As for might I make it to 90 - well, so long as I'm enjoying life, that sounds like fun. If various joints have gone west & the meds no longer effective, I will go shovel snow clad in a wicked grin. However I have two parents active & alert & over 80, so I suspect the lads are condemned to me a bit longer yet. Largely as I'm fearsome curious.

Had to laugh at the "fearsome curious" and promptly wonder if you're also not unfamiliar with being mentally "bashed round the head" at intervals for making up your own mind about things after exercising said "curiousity".

All suggestions welcome for suitable phrases to use to deal with the phenomenon (recent to me in a leisuretime context) of apparently not being entitled to express one's own personal opinions - when some other people nearby are expressing theirs:cool::wall::huh::huh::wall:.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :j Kid Bruv has got me a copy of Tess Pennington's The Prepper's Blueprint for the princely sum of 50 pence! The only frustrating thing is that it's at the hometown and I won't be over there until some point next month. Still pretty chuffed, tho.:D
    Just had a read of the description on Amazon - love the sound of the layering of types of events.
    We are in for a rather interesting looking thunder storm, we had some deep old rumbles earlier on and the sky all round is getting blacker and blacker, I've just seen the fastest moving sheet of cloud zip across the visible sky.
    Oh my! The sky is still sort of clear here, but there's definitely an edge to the atmosphere. Sadly not surprised to hear you're getting it in the neck, MrsLW - hope it isn't too bad.

I've been to TKMaxx today (the branch where I bought a very high quality map case) to buy a proper sized piece of luggage, rather than the cabin luggage thing I currently have. Did that well, and had a bit of a look around what else there might be. Ended up buying a velcro thing that straps onto your arm. It's meant for runners, to hold their phones/keys etc, but I really liked the look of it for carrying your stuff unobtrusively under your clothes.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    we had some deep old rumbles earlier on

Time for supper perhaps? :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts