PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I just had a power cut, not had one for a long time. Coincidence perhaps but could just be the start of revenge hacking into utilities. I had been thinking about removing the big boxes of ice from the freezer, they are staying put.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I've had a power cut today as well, but we've got a gale here. I sort of think - and others will not agree with me, I know - that the west has cast Russia as the Big Bad Wolf and the media shoves this down our necks a lot. Govts seem to behave increasingly like wee playground gangs and clump together in corners of the playground forming alliances, then somebody falls out with somebody else or wants to go home for their tea and it's all change. I expect a lot of mouthing off and talking and not much happening. Just like with Grenfell...
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :p Sabres are rattling noisily. I'm ignoring it; worse things happen at sea. Getting on with the important stuff, like kondoing the re-usable/ recyclable parts of a defunct microwave.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm keeping a weather eye on the whole nerve gas/Salisbury thing, I must say ... just the headlines, the first minute or so of a report.

As for Russia being the big bad wolf ... they do seem to use chemical weapons nowadays, and I don't *think* we do that, so I'm not fond of them doing that ... but otherwise, yes, absolutely - playground gangs, mouthing off, all of it. There's a reason why "playing politics" is used insultingly ...

Me, yep, I'm getting on with the important stuff too :D my supermarket-bought chives have lots of buds on (though I hope I haven't killed them by watering them too late); plus pootling about a National Trust property.

Oh! A photo I'll be posting to Flickr later - in the historic kitchen, there were some scallop shells and some feathers. The shells were used to grate nutmeg, and the feathers were pastry brushes

:j I love that sort of thing!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    they don't teach tourniquets

That's because tourniquets can be incredibly dangerous.

Used incorrectly, they can lead to the loss of a limb.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It's all out of our hands, we can do nothing so I'm damned if I'm going to spend my days looking over my shoulder wondering if the next person coming by has nerve agents in their handbag, that really is the way to nightmares. I'm getting on with life as normal until proven otherwise!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I think someone is sneaking in and using my bath, while I'm at work.

I've just found hair in the plughole :huh:
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What do you make of this thread and particularly my comments on page 2, guys?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5792228

If I were left in that position, I would know how to illegally reconnect my power. However, I am now dubious about signing my elderly mother up to a non mainstream supplier.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 16 March 2018 at 7:56AM
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    That's because tourniquets can be incredibly dangerous.

Used incorrectly, they can lead to the loss of a limb.

Exactly as I was taught from toddler up. Worryingly the CitizenAid app *did* encourage you to have a go with a belt & wooden spoon <shudders> but my trainer is robust - it ain't on her course for First Aid at Work, if you need to know you've got the wrong course & should have a chat with the army medical corps. Also First Aid tends to have a halo around it for legal purposes, whereas other apps do not. Since even the construction chaps weren't unduly worried about limbs being blown off, we moved onto crush injuries.

But that if your phone in a severe bleed, the ambulance service may talk you through the basics while upping the score.

Eye injuries she was robust about. Irrigate with whatever is appropriate, as copiously as you have supplies for (at work, we do usually have taps of the stuff & even chemical plants usually have tanks of whatever goo isn't going to upset the chemical spilt - Mrs LW's list sounds like standard commercial/ industrial/ research lab practice) and then get checked. They'd had an update email in the light of acid attacks & most of the available acids "cooperate with water" while the ones that don't she reckoned were less off the shelf & more couriered-to-a-lab. Which is why I am So Happy to have a walk in centre in my valley - they have the tech to do X rays (in office hours) and the front line kit & drugs without having to haul a grouching child (or spouse or self) several miles away to the big hospital with full A&E.

When we bought this place, I did map the local A&E as well as GPs, dentists & schools. It closed, but the walk-in center opened.

As for hair in the bath, might Buggalugs be trialling a new technique in sous vide pest control?
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Afternoon all. Anyone see this on Zerohedge?

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-03-15/uk-manufacturing-its-nerve-agent-case-action-russia

I can't believe the mainstream media are being so gullible about this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure