PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    What can we go to war with though? One aircraft carrier without any aircraft..? That'll scare them rigid!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 March 2018 at 9:53PM
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    What can we go to war with though? One aircraft carrier without any aircraft..? That'll scare them rigid!
    :p We can send a crew of reality TV 'stars' over there, that'll put the frighteners on them.

DigForVictory, excellent post. My Kid Bruv developed epilepsy out of the blue aged about 15, he's in his fifties now and the seizures have long since been controlled by medication. I also have another younger relative who developed epilepsy months after a minor concussion. Both of them describe feeling tired and less-well-than-before on anti-convulsive medications.

With my brother, there is a few seconds' warning in that his eyes go 'strange' - it's hard to articulate but sort of lights-on-no one-home, as if consciousness has gone offline. Then, the facial distortion and the falling down and flailing of a grand mal seizure. The times I was there, I would grab his glasses off for safe-keeping and gently wrap my arms around his head, not to restrain movement, but to ensure that his head was cushioned from the floor or furniture.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Yeah, the whole "aura" bit is weird. Says she completely without it - I just go over like a ninepin whereas son has a visual 'warning' that he usually can't articulate though the standing, pointing, babbling in tongues & then crashing over is something of a hint. If he's suddenly fluent in French, he's about to go over...

Holding the body of someone you love, waiting for them to come back, is a bit of a sod. But it beats the stuffing out of finding them out cold in a sprawl somewhere.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    All the training in the world, doesn't prepare you for someone suddenly fitting in front of you.

It's not just the fitting, but also the speed at which it can occur.

The man I treated was talking to me over my shoulder one moment, and the next second, he was on his way down to the floor.

It was literally that fast!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We can send NURSIE and the HEFFALUMP that Mar didn't eat from the Garden Fence thread, if that combination doesn't scare them into submission then they'll die laughing!
  • mardatha
    Options
    You mean there's another load of elephant steaks -- oops erm I mean another elephant - out there walking around????? Hmmmmm...........
  • mardatha
    Options
    I think that Russia will sit tight, fall about laughing, and make our govt look like eejits. Which would be about right.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you for that post DfV :T I hope I never need to use the advice but it's good to have it.
    A former colleague used to get a few minutes' notice of a seizure, which gave her just enough time to get herself to the first-aid room (which was usually empty) so she could lie on the floor until it was over. She wasn't very happy when one day it was announced that the first aid room was to be kept locked, and that if someone needed the key they were to go to a first-aider :( Can't have staff nicking a sticking-plaster, after all! They had simply not considered her needs at all :mad:
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Just as well to have the full details and yep...the bit about it not being some outside factor causing it (eg "demonic possession") - as I think the colleague that belted off at top speed (and wasnt seen again) when t'other colleague was having a fit must have thought something like this.

Me - I was carefully getting them down off their chair/making sure they didn't whack themselves on anything. It wasn't official advice to talk to them - but I didn't know whether this colleague had had a fit like it before or no. So I was taking the view that I thought she must be "present" and taking in what I said at some level or other - so was gently saying "It's okay...you're alright...you're just having an epileptic fit....etc etc" and explaining. Followed by explaining that I'd sent someone else off to get a medically-trained person back.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 March 2018 at 9:04AM
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :( It's the indescriminate nature of using a nerve agent in public places which chills my blood. Cleaner if they'd shot him. It shows a fundamental lack of respect for the other country ie us. If I had been in that area at the time, I would be beside myself with worry.
    There was a disturbing interview on TV yesterday with someone who helped create that nerve agent (now living behind locked gates). He says 'there is no cure' for even a trace exposure. Breathed in it kills very quickly. On the skin takes a little longer. Plus even a minute trace could start showing effects a year down the line and at best that person would need lifelong medical attention.
    Very worrying if you live in that area - despite our reassuring words. Plus it explains the extreme response by hazard personnel which I don't recall every seeing before.
    I think the overall situation and potential for escalation is worrying. Let's hope that it doesn't progress to much more than huffing and puffing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure