PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the pic of the hospital bag, Bob - and your allotment tales already, GQ, I'm glad of it :) I *so* wanted to do a hospital bag, I think its a really good idea, but I'm submerged in photos and the scanning of :o
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 13 March 2018 at 12:47PM
    Options
    Well that's it, all packed, save for the money and list of important phone numbers.
    2mq8104.jpg

Only just got it all in. :)

The only empty pocket, is the large one on the front of the bag.

EDIT: Large pocket now contains heavy duty carrier bag.

Also added sleep mask.

Attached luggage tag, with important medical data.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I just read about Afternote in the paper today. Among other things, you can leave messages for loved ones to receive after your death. I signed up and tried to write a message, but started blubbing.

The mad thing is that you have to leave the details of three trustees who will carry out your wishes and they have to be members of Afternote also.

My relatives would moan about that, and say I was trying to see them off also! :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Bigjenny wrote: »
    Not particularly related to Bedsit Bob's post but it might be worth getting one of these http://www.lions105sw.org.uk/district-projects/message-in-a-bottle/, to keep in the fridge, they come with a sticker to place on the front door, especially if anyone live on their own.

Very clever idea. :cool:

I'll ask at boots tomorrow.
  • Princess_kate
    Options
    Bob, how about a carrier bag for dirty clothes or an easy way to carry anything else? Cereal bar, bottle of water? Notebook and pen.

Has everyone heard the Beast from the East is due back this weekend!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 12 March 2018 at 11:11PM
    Options
    Bob, how about a carrier bag for dirty clothes or an easy way to carry anything else?

There won't be much by way of dirty clothes (I'd be wearing the same outer clothes on the way out, as I wore on the way in), probably just the pyjamas, but I see your point.

I'll get one of those "bags for life" from the Supermarket.
    Cereal bar, bottle of water?

I think I can rely on the hospital to provide the food and drink. :)
    Notebook and pen.

Good point. Now added. :)

Interestingly, nobody asked about cost :huh:
  • Princess_kate
    Options
    I guess you're right about the food and drink just thinking of having the bag as a bit more multipurpose than just hospital. I like to have a snack and drink on me, never know when hunger will strike!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I like to have a snack and drink on me, never know when hunger will strike!

They generally don't let you eat or drink until you've been seen by a doctor, by which time, they're usually wheeling the tea and biscuits trolley round. :)
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    edited 13 March 2018 at 7:47AM
    Options
    Having a drink and cereal bar is a must. I had a trip to A&E last week. From waking up, straight there. I was dropped off at just after 7am and was alone. No food, no drink from waking. I had money but as I was either rigged up to machines or in a side room away from food/drink facilities I couldn't access them and A&E staff extremely busy, fleeting and stressed. No drink until out of A&E and into a day investigation unit at around midday.

I have plenty of water at home but didn't have smaller bottles. I do now. If you're admitted you'll be fed and watered but if you're in A&E for any amount of time you may not be able to access water.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I was the same - stuck in A&E for a couple of hours in the early hours, then in a ward and waiting for the tea trolley... only to find that it no longers comes. I was quite thirsty but had to wait until dinnertime. I'd take water but you need to grab one out of the fridge on your way past on the stretcher :)
    Also you can get medicalert jewellery really cheap on ebay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure