Collective Switch

Options

Comments

• Martha79
    Options
    WOW! What a series of horror stories ........... but then, this is Britain and BG is, as far as I'm aware, a British company managed by Brits so why would we be surprised at this level of incompetence?
  • jeallen01
    jeallen01 Posts: 192 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Martha79 wrote: »
    WOW! What a series of horror stories ........... but then, this is Britain and BG is, as far as I'm aware, a British company managed by Brits so why would we be surprised at this level of incompetence?
    Yes, it's beginning to sound like the old saying about the way some people eat = "his eyes are bigger than his stomach" = BG seems to have bitten off more than it can "chew" by taking on the process for so many people all at once.
    Also, it does seem that MSE may have done the same, or at least underestimated the number of people who would want to join and not fully appreciated that BG is not really set up to deal with an influx of "swoppers" at the rate that actually happened.
    Hope I'm proved wrong in the end as I am one of the swoppers!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    @martha79

British Gas - UK
    EDF - French
    Scottish Power - Spanish
    E.on - German
    npower - German
    SSE - UK

None of these firms have a good record of customer service.
  • RalphS
    RalphS Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    3 times I have submitted my opening readings. 3 times I have had an email quoting / confirming my opening readings. 3 times I have subsequently received the 'We're sorry, we couldn't process your meter read' [sic, great English...] emails. (Ehm, why can't they just read their own confirmation email which quotes the requested readINGS!.)

So I searched for and found this thread. I found the instructions to provide the Opening Meter Readings not on to the logical 'Submit Meter Readings' page, but on an elusive different page not mentioned anywhere, which fails to appear. Round and round the account page I went using 2 different browsers: 1 hour later it suddenly revealed itself (I am a most competent computer user, not a numpty): I submitted those readings earlier today, but this time I haven't had a confirmation email like the 3 previous submissions...... I have no confidence of BG to operate my account.

I also note they have LOWERED my previously quoted DDs.

I trust BG will have the honesty to report itself to its regulator for incompetence.
  • jeallen01
    jeallen01 Posts: 192 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 March 2016 at 9:33PM
    Options
    RalphS wrote: »
    .... I submitted those readings earlier today, but this time I haven't had a confirmation email like the 3 previous submissions...... I have no confidence of BG to operate my account .

FWIW, it seems that new customers only get the confirmation emails if they put the readings in the "wrong" place - whereas, if you put them in the correct New Customers data locations, then you don't get those emails = CRAZY!

Try going all the way into your BG account and see if the gas and/or electricity readings you put in are actually showing in one/both of those subsections of the account.

NB: if only one of the supplies has been transferred to you as yet, then maybe only that one will be available to view (IIRC that's what I found a few days ago - whereas, just after the "switch" was made for me, both the gas and electricity subsections were present, but then one disappeared!)
  • RalphS
    RalphS Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Buried deep within the page are vague references that both switched on the prior advised March 3, the date I first read and submitted both readings to BG (and my previous suppliers). It is not a quoted parameter under 'Your Tariff Information' where I would have thought it belonged.

The 'Your Meter Readings' box has only ever been blank. other that the revolving 'Loading' indicator.
  • keran77
    keran77 Posts: 442 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I switched (tariff still with the same provider) and I'm happy to say I had an email to say I will be saving just under £50 per month which I'm so pleased about. Thank you :)
    :A
  • basketcase
    basketcase Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 14 March 2016 at 8:19AM
    Options
    RalphS wrote: »
    3 times I have submitted my opening readings. 3 times I have had an email quoting / confirming my opening readings. 3 times I have subsequently received the 'We're sorry, we couldn't process your meter read' [sic, great English...] emails. (Ehm, why can't they just read their own confirmation email which quotes the requested readINGS!.)

So I searched for and found this thread. I found the instructions to provide the Opening Meter Readings not on to the logical 'Submit Meter Readings' page, but on an elusive different page not mentioned anywhere, which fails to appear. Round and round the account page I went using 2 different browsers: 1 hour later it suddenly revealed itself (I am a most competent computer user, not a numpty): I submitted those readings earlier today, but this time I haven't had a confirmation email like the 3 previous submissions...... I have no confidence of BG to operate my account.

I also note they have LOWERED my previously quoted DDs.

I trust BG will have the honesty to report itself to its regulator for incompetence.

Hi Ralph

I don't suppose you happen to have a link to the elusive page?

Not being a computer whizz (although not, I hope, a complete numpty) I simply clicked on the button in the email asking me to submit my readings. The big green one labelled Submit Readings. Silly me - actually expecting that to work... :o

It doesn't bode well, does it?
    A budget is like a speed sign - a LIMIT not a TARGET!!

CHALLENGES
    2024 Grocery Challenge: Q1 £37.83/£660
    2024 NSDs: Jan 1/12
    2024 Decluttering 24 containers/month: Jan 10/24
    Weight Loss: 0/24lbs
    2024 Fashion on the Ration: 0/66
    24 for 2024
  • basketcase
    basketcase Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 14 March 2016 at 8:15AM
    Options
    Martha79 wrote: »

Hi Martha

I'm not convinced it's the fact that it's a British firm. After all, they all tend to be multinationals.

I think gsminx has a point. They all do it, not just UK run companies. The common thread is surely "this is Britain". Maybe we're offered inferior service because we seem to be prepared to accept it. Maybe it's time we stopped and we should be surprised at the level of incompetence.

Do you think there's any way the Collective Switch can get a Collective Boot for BG's Collective backside?
    A budget is like a speed sign - a LIMIT not a TARGET!!

CHALLENGES
    2024 Grocery Challenge: Q1 £37.83/£660
    2024 NSDs: Jan 1/12
    2024 Decluttering 24 containers/month: Jan 10/24
    Weight Loss: 0/24lbs
    2024 Fashion on the Ration: 0/66
    24 for 2024
  • davidsuffolk
    Options
    All those complaining about the switch should read the pages from the Feb 2015 collective switch to Sainsbury's Energy which is a trading name for BG.

Same problems, same promises, same MSE stock answers & platitudes.

Nothing has changed and still a complete b***s up and I vowed then never to use any MSE collectives again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure