Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Options

Comments

• superdon
    Options
    cjp2k wrote: »
    They apparently leave the phone active until another provider requests to take over the number. If you tell them you don't want to keep the number they will fully cancel it as far as I know ....

Ok. That makes sense thanks. Does that affect the possibility of a call from the outbound retentions people?
  • superdon
    Options
    So any thoughts on what I should be able to haggle to for...

XL TV
    Vivid 150 broadband
    Talk weekend phone
    2 x V6 boxes

Or anyone aware of any good equivalent packages with Sky etc that I can use to.lever the renewal?
  • Tammer
    Tammer Posts: 402 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi,
    I've been with Virgin Media for a long time and have seen the monthly costs creep up and up for a while. I have:

Big Kahuna Sports Bundle which includes:
    Talk 08 2
    Talk International
    Talk Weekends
    Free Voicemail
    Full House TV (XL)
    TiVo Monthly Fee
    VIVID 200 Optical Fibre
    Sky Cinema 2
    Sky Cinema 1
    Sky Sports
    BT Sport

Telephone line rental for £19a month.

My total monthly bill is over £130 usually (...sob....).

My beef is that the overall cost is about to go up by about £5 a month. I have an old Tivo box and Superhub2. Although I am on 200meg BB, contention means this is never over 100 meg and usually around 50meg.

We do use the talk international, BT sport and the movie channels.

What do you think I should negotiate for? I am considering asking for the latest kit and a price reduction.

Any advice would be appreciated.
  • steve4mandy
    Options
    I rang retentions a couple of weeks ago. Originally paying £73 per month for the XL package. The landline weekend only being a particular bone of contention for me.

Spoke to a very nice lady, and explained that I was not particularly getting very good value for money with the current package. I asked for the VIP package, explaining that I didn't mind paying more, if I got usage from the whole package. After a two minute wait, she came back to me with a price of £98 per month for 12 months, with 2 new Tivo V6 boxes, free instillation, no price increase for term.

I had set a top end outlay for this at £99 (I didn't tell her that though)!

The two new Tivo V6 boxes are light years better than the old Tivo box.
  • Nicky321
    Nicky321 Posts: 1,426 Forumite
    Options
    Just rang VM to give my 30 days notice, as best they could do was over £90 for Full house TV, sports & movies
    200mb broadband
    V6 box
    Tivo Box
    Weekend calls

What could I expect to pay after haggling for
    TV full house
    Movies & Sports
    Sky sports HD
    200mb broadband
    Unlimited calls
    2 x v6 boxes

Thanks in advancex
  • fondue
    fondue Posts: 229 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Currently on with Virgin

TV - Fun
    Broadband - Vivid 100
    Phone - Talk Weekends
    Tivo Box

£28.95 plus November price increase to go on

--

After calling retentions, I got it down to around £24 and no contractual tie in so can leave at any time.

Happy with that.
  • superdon
    Options
    Had the call from outbound retentions today.....

Full house TV/XL
    Upgrade to Vivid 200
    Talk Weekend
    Upgrade both boxes to V6
    New superhub
    No install or activation fees

£46 a month

That's nearly £30 better than I would have been paying after the price rises, if I hadn't had threatened to cancel.

I said I would think on it. This is outbound retentions first offer to us. Do I accept as it's a decent deal, or do I hold out for a better offer closer to cancellation day and I can always fall back on this offer?
  • tazwhoever
    tazwhoever Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    On VM getting:

Broadband 70 and Talk Anytime = Rental in advance and £23 = £39.33 per month.

It's coming for renewal in few months, can I get this cheaper through VM?
  • jaks111
    jaks111 Posts: 570 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Regards virgin media at the moment I am paying £53 due to go up in November by another £4.
    I phoned last week and cancelled everything, just had a call to say I can keep what I have no changes at all only the price now is £35 no increase in November it will be a new 12 month contract.

The package I am on is a player bundle suits me as I don't watch much TV said I will think about it he said ok otherwise we will cut you off in October I will just wait see if I can get any other price etc.
    Anyone else on the player bundle ?
  • Unky_Al
    Options
    I currently pay £61 (going up to £65) for the following

200mb BB
    Player TV
    XL phone

I phoned them (retentions) to see what they could do and the best they offered was £56, I mentioned that a new customer could get it for £48 and that I'd been a customer since the blueyonder days and couldn't they match it. They flatly refused so I gave them 30days notice. How long will I have to wait if they decide to come back with an offer ? Cheers
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback