Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Options

Comments

• staffsuk
    Options
    So I have a new contract with VM - 50mb broadband & talk weekends for £22 - but I nearly didn't...

My story:
    staffsuk wrote: »
    So I've been out of contract for 4 months now. I'm paying £41.50 for 70mb & talk weekends. Phoned today - had an argument with the guy who flatly denied that VM do any better deals than what he was offering - and accused me of being rude - so I cancelled. He offered me 50mb and talk weekends for £33 on 18 month contact. I will wait to see if they call back. Just received cancellation email.
    They called me two days after cancelling. Offered me 100mb & landline for £28. I said I would have to think about it. Don't see why I should be paying that when others are doing a deal for less from outbound.

Subsequent to the last message I heard nothing back from them for three weeks so I begrudgingly called retentions who got outbound to call me again. I said I wanted to refuse their offer as I knew others were being offered a better deal to which he replied 'OK I'll take you off the system'. Fine I thought - they'll call back. But they didn't. So with just one day to go before my contract would officially expire I had no choice but to call in again. Retentions said they couldn't guarantee outbound would call me this time. So I was sweating it out I can tell you! I eventually received a call on the final day of my termination period and agreed at £22 as above.

So be aware if you refuse an offer from outbound they won't always call you back and they may just let your contract expire.
  • cezairs
    Options
    So I have a new contract with VM - 50mb broadband & talk weekends for £22 - but I nearly didn't...

My story:

Subsequent to the last message I heard nothing back from them for three weeks so I begrudgingly called retentions who got outbound to call me again. I said I wanted to refuse their offer as I knew others were being offered a better deal to which he replied 'OK I'll take you off the system'. Fine I thought - they'll call back. But they didn't. So with just one day to go before my contract would officially expire I had no choice but to call in again. Retentions said they couldn't guarantee outbound would call me this time. So I was sweating it out I can tell you! I eventually received a call on the final day of my termination period and agreed at £22 as above.

So be aware if you refuse an offer from outbound they won't always call you back and they may just let your contract expire.

This my worry currently...............I said I would think about their offer and then missed the call back from them !
    I have till the end of the month I think !

I'm trying to think of an excuse to phone them........
  • staffsuk
    Options
    cezairs wrote: »
    This my worry currently...............I said I would think about their offer and then missed the call back from them !
    I have till the end of the month I think !

I'm trying to think of an excuse to phone them........

Indeed - I rather think it's a case of who's gonna blink first... Maybe they have calculated they can let a number of low users like me go in order to dispel any idea that they will do whatever to keep customers.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    you could ring them and say you missed a call from them.
  • cjp2k
    cjp2k Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My mums contract comes to a end next month, so we rang to try and get a discount, currently paying £58.95 for Weekend Calls, 100mb Broadband and 1 Tivo box with XL TV

With the price increase this is going upto over £60

Rang retentions who couldn't care less about the price, cant match new customer deals, there service is far better than sky etc etc

So waiting for a call from the win back team, she doesn't need the 100mb broadband but likes her TV so must be the XL TV package, wonder what I can get, she can get the same deal from Sky for £45, with the arguably better Sky Q box
  • fondue
    fondue Posts: 229 Forumite
    Options
    Currently on with Virgin

TV - Fun
    Broadband - Vivid 100
    Phone - Talk Weekends
    Tivo Box

£28.95

I pay line rental in 12 months advance - £16.33 per month.

Is there room to manoeuvre on this or try elsewhere? I am happy with broadband, hardly use house phone and dont watch much tv other than netflix and other boxsets.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think you simply tell them, that you know there service is better than others, however 30Mb from another provider will suit your needs.

Tell them you don't use the TV service much.
  • cjp2k
    Options
    Just had the winback team call, £38 for 12 months no price rise this year, 12month contract

100mb broadand
    TV XL
    Phone weekends

Do we think this is a good price, or should i push for more?

Thanks
  • superdon
    Options
    After I cancelled yesterday had an email about cancelling and confirming things generally. Had a second email that said we had made changes to our account and that from 20 October our monthly bill would be £19.99. Is this normal or.have they not cancelled the phone???
  • cjp2k
    Options
    superdon wrote: »
    After I cancelled yesterday had an email about cancelling and confirming things generally. Had a second email that said we had made changes to our account and that from 20 October our monthly bill would be £19.99. Is this normal or.have they not cancelled the phone???

They apparently leave the phone active until another provider requests to take over the number. If you tell them you don't want to keep the number they will fully cancel it as far as I know ....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback