Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Options

Comments

• bazray
    bazray Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My bill was going up to over £40 for broadband 50mbps and a landline so I cancelled and went for the mse Sky unlimited broadband adsl, had to pay £20 for bt line and £9.95 for router then £8.70 a month for 12 months with £50 credit coming soon. Works out £7 a month all in. I now have the choice of cable and adsl and fibre in the future so it's well worth it.

Virgin offered £22.50 all in and retentions have called about 4 times but now I have adsl and I'm happy, 17mbps down and 1.2 up, and saving a packet :)

Bt openreach guy fitted the line and said loads of people are leaving Virginmedia as they rip off loyal customers all the time.

The ways I see it is a bit like energy bills now, just switch every 12 months or when they hike the price mid contract.
  • latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bignred05 wrote: »
    Result
    had my call from Retentions
    was offered
    100mg Broadband (up from 50mg)
    TV (M package)
    Phone (weekend calls)
    new Super Hub 3 Router
    new Tivo Box
    all for £25 a month (for 12 months) he said it should be £50
    ohh and no activation fee (said it was £14.99)

I snapped his hand off, well pleased

so basiclly I got the same package as i had before with 50mg increase, a new Tivo box and a new super Hub 3 for £25, when with the increase it wouldd of been £47

Including line rental?
  • bignred05
    bignred05 Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    latecomer wrote: »
    Including line rental?

Ohh Yes

also I'm now getting an extra £5 off foir the next 2 months, due to poor broadband signal

I was quoted £25 a month, my bill states £38.99 with a £15 credit for 12 months (£24 :beer::beer:)
  • patricia1066
    patricia1066 Posts: 328 Forumite
    edited 15 October 2016 at 10:14AM
    Options
    latecomer wrote: »
    Including line rental?
    Do you have to change landline and email address every time? that would be the problem with swopping for me. @bazray comment wrongly linked to latecomer
  • drondo
    drondo Posts: 16 Forumite
    edited 15 October 2016 at 2:15PM
    Options
    £38 (after the price rise in November) for Basic TV (I don't watch any premium channels at all) = 50Mbits/s Broadband +Landline (which i don't need). My existing deal was for a few extra channels and 100Mbits/s Broadband at £52/month.

12 month contract.

I feel that I should have got a better deal though....?

Interestingly I went to cancel with EE mobile (now part of BT) and they offered me £32.50/month for same deal BUT an Engineer would have to come round and drill into my house and they would charge me £62 for the privilege so no go.
  • keran77
    keran77 Posts: 442 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Last month I cancelled Virgin Media as the bills were increasing by too much. I did my homework using the advice on MSE for haggling with broadband, phone line providers as I was unhappy paying £45 for broadband, phone and TiVo.

Without much effort the retentions person offered me two good deals yesterday. I had a think over night and had 3 questions left the first about imminent price hikes of £3.50. I paid line saver (annual payment saving of £40+). It means over the next 12 months my bills will be £176 cheaper and I asked for the super hub 3 router which is being given free too (£14.99) so better Internet.

If you are calling Virgin Media be prepared in terms of time. I spent 30 minutes waiting for my call to be answered on both days.

Good luck MSErs!
    :A
  • latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Options
    bignred05 wrote: »
    Ohh Yes

also I'm now getting an extra £5 off foir the next 2 months, due to poor broadband signal

I was quoted £25 a month, my bill states £38.99 with a £15 credit for 12 months (£24 :beer::beer:)

Result!

It seems the anytime calls is the thing that causes us the most problem when it comes to negotiating - but each year we've had it down at £30. Still haven't had a call back from retentions but I'll happy wait another week before getting worried :)
  • patricia1066
    patricia1066 Posts: 328 Forumite
    edited 17 October 2016 at 2:52PM
    Options
    Im on the basic phone and 50mb broadband package, anticipating the dual increase in line rental saver of £12 pa, and the Nov rise of £2.50 pm for bb. Current monthly £11.00 to increase to £13.50. My current discount is due to expire in 2017 so before committing myself to the line saver I had to sort out my other options.

I found offers for adsl for £18 including line rental, but fibre would be more expensive elsewhere.

I cancelled Virgin and tried to get line rental plus fibre for under £25 but couldn't see any reputable offers.

I rang virgin retention, and said I am looking at adsl, but didn't disagree when the agent said I'd be disappointed with the service.

She offered line saver at current price £184 to extend saver for 12 months, and said that with 12 month contract she would extend the £8 loyalty discount through the term.

I asked her for the £3 off for 6 months and after initially refusing, she found the code and added it on.

So Nov to March £10.48, April to September £13.48 line saver £184 til 13 December 2017.

It's not easy getting reductions from the base rates, as the fibre competition isn't great yet.
  • anderson8
    anderson8 Posts: 1,223 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Got a call from retentions today

50mb broadband
    Weekend calls
    Mix TV package

£25 a month/12 month contract
    Including line rental

We're more than happy, it's a better tv package than we were on for less than half what we were paying
  • fuzzgun19
    fuzzgun19 Posts: 7,767 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How long are VM retentions taking to call you these days?
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure