Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Options

Comments

• davidgmmafan
    davidgmmafan Posts: 1,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My letter has just arrived so my notice will be going in as soon I can bear to listen to the hold music. Tried the other day and gave up :/
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
  • den169
    den169 Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JB162 wrote: »
    No worries Den169!

But be careful, even though you call record it will not stand up in court or anywhere, as you do not have the agents permission to record them.

Virgins policy is if you ask for permission the agent is to refuse and end the call or for you to end the recording.

Well iv'e recorded every conversation with Virgin for the past 3 years.And told them i am recording not one has refused they have all let me record the conversation.So i think your information is wrong.
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've called them today, and used options 4 & 5 as suggested.

I've been paying about £63pcm for 70mbs, TV L and phone M, and had the notice about the price increase.

They've offered me 100mbs, line rental and weekend calls, plus the free to view channels for £43 (this includes the Nov increase)

I know it's not the cheapest, we probably could get away with a broadband only deal somewhere, but this way I can be a bit lazy, keep my TiVo box and everything already recorded on it, and not faff about changing numbers and so on.

Quite happy with that and will review in 12 months.
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • Marcio45
    Marcio45 Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just gave notice to mine. I was already on a promotional deal of £21.50 for small broadband, and it was going up by £3. I called to cancel and they offered £22.50 for 100mbs internet for 6 months.
    Not that happy with virgin broadband. Peak hours the internet goes slow and its really bad for online gaming (wired). On top of that their router is proper bad. The signal stuggles to get to the next room.
    So my notice is in and have already booked instalation of BT fibre. 52mb download and 10mbs upload that i should easily get as i am not that far from the exchange. And fibre is known to be better for gaming. Considering cashback offers and a spending card on offer, it will average at just over £17 a month for BT fibre.
    Now just dreading if BT gets it wrong... they are quite famous for messing up. Its a risk... but wait and see
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    rixxin wrote: »
    Hey all,

Success!

Retentions call back within a week after giving 30 days notice.

Mine is ending on the 10th Oct, and no callback :eek:

I may have to do the callback myself to check if cancel is going ahead. I have nothing lined up and don't want to either.
  • latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Remember you can always phone back and cancel the cancellation but of course then you lose the right to cancel for the price increase as you will be beyond the cut off date for that.

Thankfully our package end in January so I dont have long to wait until I can play the cancellation game again if I'm not successful this time round.
  • theshoefairy
    Options
    Virgin didn't call back, as far as I know anyway. Switched to Sky, was installed yesterday. I'm Happy :)
  • bignred05
    bignred05 Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 October 2016 at 9:08PM
    Options
    I've had the increase letter, been on to cancel
    was offered a deal to stay, not good enough though
    (from a price rise to £47 offered £38then £35 for 6 months)
    for basic TV with Tivo, 50GB and weekend calls
    had a call on Monday on my Mobile (in work) told them I couldn't talk
    they asked when to call back I said after 5.00pm, was told they would call
    still no call though
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 October 2016 at 2:21PM
    Options
    :( no good for me, no callback, I had to phone to confirm services were ending, and it was midnight tonight.

Nothing lined up, and i rely on Internet for everything including TV.

The best they could offer was £30 for 6 months and £33 for 12 months, for 70Mb and Phone M, as BB alone was £31.25, as they put a £10 discount, I had to take it - even said Swalec is £25, could they match and was having none of it.

But even at £30/£33 it's expensive (when I don't even have a phone) compared to other people's deals I have been reading.

Did say there is a 14 day cooling period, but if I can cancel it would be another 30 day notice, but no-one phoned me :(
  • Rachel_123
    Rachel_123 Posts: 173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Phoned up today to do the usual grumble after the price increase letter. Was offered 200mb, xl tv and sky sports for £71.50 which as far as I know is a reasonable deal for the sports package
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback