SuzieSue wrote: »
    I just leave them open all year round.
    Same here. No point in shutting them.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Furts wrote: »
    Entirely up to JAS here, but knowing there is a damp issue I maintain the decision to delete the trickle vents from the order was foolish, or naive, or both.
    I agree. Choosing to not have trickle vents when there is a preexisting condensation issue is madness.

I used to live in a flat with major moisture issues, it was awful. It was always stuffy, and we were always ill. I'll never put myself and family in that kind of environment again.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    Well I enquiries as to whether it's too late to change them (include them again)
    & apparently it is as they're 'in production' (which takes 2.5 week)

No money has been handed over yet.

I bet alterations would soon happen if I said cancel the whole order.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    Well I enquiries as to whether it's too late to change them (include them again)

Given the issues the OP, JAS has, trickle vents won't fix it so fitted or not, it's a none issue
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    To be fair I don't think anyone was suggesting trickle vents would 'fix' the damp. They'd help with the condensation though.

Only time will tell if I made a mistake or not. If I did then I allowed myself to be swayed by some people on the internet which again .... Is my own fault.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options

Good quality windows are available in three days, and anything taking 2.5 weeks suggests a low quality, minor, manufacturer. This is concerning, as is the response to fitting trickle vents.

Any reputable manufacturer would accept the change to the order. Here the manufacturer cuts out a slot as the window is manufactured - it is basically using an ordinary router, and the vent is a bought in simple, low cost, low quality, clip on piece. The procedure is quick, cheap, childs play.

In defence of the window company, they supplied the default position of fitting the vents and it was you who did not want them. Your early posts referred to them being ugly.

The window company are probably peed off with you, but you are again again accepting BS being fed to you. Only you can answer why this continues to happen to you and what is the best way forward.
  • brightontraveller
    brightontraveller Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    edited 22 June 2016 at 6:23PM
    Options
    Trickle vents serve a purpose that can be achieved in other ways but those ways have disadvantages over a simple vent?,
    Advantages of vents (ventilation aside) are more beneficial to client e.g. security, noise, not requiring power, potentially less insects, bugs, maintenance, ease of use irrespective of functional operation of window etc, None being beneficial to manufacture whom adding vent can require more work, trickier manufacturing etc so little incentive for manufacture and could be why some don't sing there praise and why there was such a backlash when they were compulsory for me the advantages for client/user are clear....
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    I just have a question to the chap who makes the windows who has been replying on here....

These guys telling me it's too late to put in this change - what is your take on that?

I'm not pretending to know anything about making windows but i'm guessing it's get some glass, cut it to size, fit it in the frame (which also has to be made to size - not the lengthiest of jobs i'd imagine) & that's basically it.

I'm guessing (again) the 2.5 week is due to their workload. So if it can't be done NOW then that'd be only 1 week, not 2.5 week.

At the very least i'd have thought that they could've said - we'll check if it's too late or not rather than "well the guys trotted off with his measurements so it's too late for you".

And even if it has all been put together, don't they just cut in a couple holes & stick a plastic vent over them anyway?? If that's the case then it could be done at any time, start or end.
  • Aingarth
    Options
    All new windows must be A rated, that means 5 air tight cavities through the section of the window frame, 4 of these must be no more than 6mm wide to prevent thermal currant in the void. If trickle vents are fitted, the frame needs to be drilled therefore drilling through the cavities, therefore the frames are no longer A rated as it they do not have air tight compartments,
  • JEN22
    JEN22 Posts: 612 Forumite
    Options
    So the answer is don't have them then?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business