Trickle vents - yes or no?

Options

Comments

• JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    While we're clarifying ....

The trickle vents have been removed from the order as has the side window opener (which we currently don't have anyway).

I think i said the last time i mentioned this i wondered if they'd knock any money off for the removal of the trickle vents ..... they didn't.

They knocked £30 off for the side window opener, which matches the verbal quote for it at the time of the bloke coming out.

He said "about a couple of quid a piece" for the trickle vents. I suspect he charged something like £10 a piece.

Pure guesswork & assumptions.

But only £30 was deducted after the alterations.
  • Silver-Surfer_2
    Silver-Surfer_2 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Options

The trickle vents have been removed from the order as has the side window opener (which we currently don't have anyway).

I think i said the last time i mentioned this i wondered if they'd knock any money off for the removal of the trickle vents ..... they didn't.

They knocked £30 off for the side window opener, which matches the verbal quote for it at the time of the bloke coming out.

He said "about a couple of quid a piece" for the trickle vents. I suspect he charged something like £10 a piece.

Now you've ordered new windows you need to address the source of the condensation.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    Now you've ordered new windows you need to address the source of the condensation.
    Not a clue where it's coming from other than cold outside warm inside since it never ever happens during the warmer months where the temperature difference isn't as big as the winter months.
  • DRP
    DRP Posts: 4,277 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

I'm not sure why you've removed vents when you have an ongoing and fairly serious issue with humidity and damp?
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    DRP wrote: »
    I'm not sure why you've removed vents when you have an ongoing and fairly serious issue with humidity and damp?
    Like others have said - i'll just put the windows on night latch. That'll give more airflow than the vents will.

And regards the damp, i've done pretty much everything i can do with that. I've had the joists renewed with the ends wrapped in DPC this time, floorboards renewed, i've had a brand new sump pump installed which kicks water out regular instead of letting it rise to about 5" over a 7mtr-x-4mtr spawn, i've had all the walls tanked with the K11 system from Sovereign to 1.5mtrs.

The cause of the damp cannot be removed, no matter how many people on an internet forum say it can. We've had the council out, the water company who have both said the cause cannot be removed & the only option is to 'manage' it (like we have done). They also investigated it around the 1970s/1980s & concluded the same thing back then also.

The house opposite recently had all the same investigation work done too as part of their extension & the footings (which is when they found out they also had the problem) & their investigation came to the same conclusion also.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    You have put tremendous time into whether you have a trickle vent fitted. Have you put the same time into important matters on security like having laminated glass?

Have you also investigated the ironmongery quality for robustness, accreditation, guarantees, and the concept of Secured By Design?

You have removed an opener to reduce your costs but not mentioned how you view fire safety and minimum size opening windows to comply with fire escape.

You are concerned about condensation, and the warmest possible window may help. Yet you have not mentioned warm edge spacers, nor U Values, nor triple glazing...

Then there is the quality of the window and of the fitting. If you are scimping here then you are going to end up dissatisfied.

Basically, you appear to have ordered a window but I am not convinced you have done "due diligence"
  • DRP
    DRP Posts: 4,277 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Like others have said - i'll just put the windows on night latch. That'll give more airflow than the vents will..

I'd argue that the vents can be open 24/7 therefore will allow constant ventilation.

As Furts states, there are products and ways to avoid cold bridging on your windows, which should also help reduce condensation.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    DRP wrote: »
    I'd argue that the vents can be open 24/7 therefore will allow constant ventilation.

As Furts states, there are products and ways to avoid cold bridging on your windows, which should also help reduce condensation.

I suggest the whole situation on trickle vents to this home is absurd.

The new window is being manufactured to the precise specification laid down by OP. There could be one trickle vent in an opening sash head, there could be two sashes giving two trickle vents...there could even be six mounted in the head of the frame. Yet OP dismisses the idea on aesthetics, but chooses to be concerned by damp and condensation.

An analogy, would be a car owner putting forward the following. "My car has condensation on the windows and is stuffy inside. I have removed the fan switch and controls because I want to de-clutter my dashboard. Aesthetics are everything - who cares about practicalities?"
  • Not_Me_Officer
    Options
    Furts wrote: »
    An analogy, would be a car owner putting forward the following. "My car has condensation on the windows and is stuffy inside. I have removed the fan switch and controls because I want to de-clutter my dashboard. Aesthetics are everything - who cares about practicalities?"
    Change the pollen filter
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As I've said numerous times if trickle vents were such a great idea why are they no longer compulsory to comply with building regs?.
    Something doesn't need to be compulsory to be a great idea.

Eating healthily and taking regular exercise is great advice, yet not compulsory in any way. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure