Trickle vents - yes or no?

Options

Comments

• JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    Regards find the cause....

Isn't this just down to really warm inside & cold outside. 2 totally different temperatures either side of the glass?

Which is why it happens in winter but not summer.
  • DRP
    DRP Posts: 4,277 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Isn't this just down to really warm inside & cold outside. 2 totally different temperatures either side of the glass?

but good double glazing and 'normal' humidity shouldn't result in loads of condensation.

Excess humidity or carp (single glazed) windows will give problems.
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's normally a bit of both, with high humidity being the main culprit. Most households are guilty of not airing out their homes in the cooler months.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    All trickle vents now removed, no ugly lumps, no noise, no draught, no mess. Bliss. If we want ventilation we can lock the windows ajar.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Waterlily24
    Waterlily24 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We had to have them too, in a new extension so half and half here.
  • Kiran
    Kiran Posts: 1,368 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cajef wrote: »
    Living in a bungalow there is no way I would leave my windows on the night/1st latch if we are not in the property and I am pretty sure any insurance claim could be invalidated or reduced if we did and there was a break in.

We have trickle vents and personally would not be without them, we don't get any noise, have no difficulty cleaning them and they have never been damaged.

Modern windows that have the night latch still engage the locking points. Most manufacturers of windows meet secured by design and this includes when on the night latch setting. As such your insurance is still valid
    Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
  • Kiran
    Kiran Posts: 1,368 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Yes and no, for there to be excessive moisture on the glazing there is usually an underlying cause, e.g. drying washing on radiators, showering or cooking without using an extractor. Also if the house has damp in anyway this will cause condensation on the glass. As the above poster said, normal humidity shouldn't cause condensation
    Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    Options
    Trickle vents were compulsory a few years ago until they saw sense and realized that it was pointless to have regulations to make all new windows should be as air tight as possible with energy efficient glazing ,draught proofing etc and then stick a hole in it to let cold air in. For centuries when people needed to "air" a room they opened a window having made windows for over 30 years I very rarely go to a house and find the existing trickle vents open.

If existing windows have trickle vents then Building Control like to see them but if there aren't any then its no longer compulsory to fit trickle vents.

I certainly would never have them..........
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    I think we'll be leaning towards having them removed.

The chap when he came out & i asked how much they'd be & said "oh errrr only about a couple of quid each" .....

... i wonder how much he'll knock off the quote should i say i want them removed, if anything ... or whether he'll need prompting.

I also wonder if they really are "ohhhh errrr only about a couple of quid". They probably are but he probably charged me about £10 per unit & will refund about £1 per unit. lol.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,838 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I have them and they never whistle or are draughty. They are always open and I never think about them.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport