Add your feedback on energy supplier Iresa

Options

Comments

• Savershaver
    Savershaver Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 June 2017 at 8:44PM
    Options
    Agree - was very, very glad to save money on energy and support IRESA too (them or the not for profit Robin Hood Energy, launched by Nottingham Council).

But paying out every month to IRESA and not having email answered, not always able to submit readings online, reading numbers changing and no details bills of what is used - all just make for the lack of trust.
    It does seem to be low price but always uneasy that cannot calculate properly.

For us it's just the case that money in this house is a daily and constant worry. We use energy sparingly and are paying a DD that far exceeds our use, we know that anyway even though the bills don't show use.
    It is good to get the interest on accrued payments and glad for that but we can't use utility DD for saving we just need the cash for everyday living. We are not alone in this. IRESA do allow a switch to variable bills after 6 months.

We could always get through when contacting companies we used before to query/check our money going to them and anything due to us because as mentioned above, errors do occur.
    But IRESA communications are our nagging worry especially because money will be owing to us.

The MSE listing is what brought us to IRESA and it probably brings them a lot of business but as for us, we just can't afford the risk. In our experience of this the MSE promotion is not warranted and it's the worry that has got us to switching again.
    Try to help and glad for help from strangers online in forums. No telling strangers online off, no putting them down or point scoring. Getting by.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mikeyblunt wrote: »

I have had to pass this to Ofgem for help.

Ofgem or The Energy Ombudsman? Ofgem will not take on individual complaints.
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    My most recent readings have shown up on the transaction tab within a reasonable delay, and I'm pleased to say both the electric (as usual) AND the gas charges are spot on with my own calculations. Whether this is by accident or design (given that the transaction tab doesn't show the calculation in the same way a bill does) I can't say, but it's nice to see.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • Savershaver
    Options
    mikeyblunt wrote: »
    I am in credit by about £450.I have been trying to get my overpayments refunded for 3 months now and my D.D paymments halved.They keep promising it will be done(when god knows).

I have had to pass this to Ofgem for help.

Ohno !! Awful - Hope it gets sorted soon.
    Try to help and glad for help from strangers online in forums. No telling strangers online off, no putting them down or point scoring. Getting by.
  • Savershaver
    edited 29 June 2017 at 1:21PM
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    Ofgem or The Energy Ombudsman? Ofgem will not take on individual complaints.

Thanks for the info here.

Had set up switch agreement on the same day of DD taken hoping to avoid another DD payment being taken.
    Have never had to strategize like this before or think before about requesting repayment of money in a utility account to be returned when leaving a utility company but will do it now ,so it's in writing. #worrygate
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DonnySaver wrote: »
    I suspected that Hengus. But the meter reading on my Iresa account doesn't match the one I gave them or the one I gave to E.ON.
    A GAS reading from 6th June is now showing on my account. I say 'A' gas reading because it is NOT the one I supplied!! It is 16 units out in Iresa's favour. I think I'll let that ride though as that works out better for me. Idiots.

Hengus is spot on DonnySaver. With a change of supplier, the readings go through a third party (Data Collector) who checks they're in line with past usage for the property. Sometimes a change is made and both suppliers need to use the same readings to open/close their respective accounts. This stops a duplication of charges.

Are we starting to the same meter reading Iresa is closing to? If so, then you'll only be charged once for the same energy.

Changes to the readings can be challenged through an industry wide mechanism known as an Agreed Reads Dispute (ARD). Here, the two suppliers re-agree opening/closing readings and re-submit them. The difference, though, needs to be above set thresholds before an ARD can be used. These are 250 units for electricity and 45/125 units for a 4 dial imperial/5 dial metric gas meter.

As your talking about a difference of 16 units, you won't be able to use an ARD. Totally understand, when this happens, it can mean paying one supplier for more energy than expected but this is balanced out by paying the other supplier for less. From what you say, it looks like it works in your favour so all's well on this bit at least.

Hope this helps DonnySaver.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • youravinalarrrf
    Options
    Raxiel wrote: »
    My most recent readings have shown up on the transaction tab within a reasonable delay, and I'm pleased to say both the electric (as usual) AND the gas charges are spot on with my own calculations. Whether this is by accident or design (given that the transaction tab doesn't show the calculation in the same way a bill does) I can't say, but it's nice to see.

You might want to recheck your own gas CV calculations as Iresa are still not doing the calculation correctly and in accordance with Ofgem's required method. I agree that Iresa's electricity bills have always been correct and present no problem to existing customers.

After raising a complaint via the Ombudsman regarding Iresa's lack of response to my original complaint as if by magic I received my final bills and credit refund on Tuesday this week and although the calculation on the new replacement gas bill is a lot nearer than it was in the earlier bills it replaces it is still not correct as they continue round up instead of truncate within the calculation and are still using a 'Multiplier' in place of the prescribed formula.

I have had to raise yet another complaint with Iresa to try to get this issue resolved which is ongoing and I am currently waiting for the proposal for resolution from the Ombudsman re the original complaint.

Alongside this I have also raised a formal complaint with Ofgem re Ofgem's own failure to take appropriate action to ensure compliance by Iresa and their failure to protect the consumer and I am currently waiting for their reply regarding the outcome of their investigation.

I will update this thread with any relevant news as these complaints progress.
  • SnowMan
    SnowMan Posts: 3,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options

Alongside this I have also raised a formal complaint with Ofgem re Ofgem's own failure to take appropriate action to ensure compliance by Iresa and their failure to protect the consumer and I am currently waiting for their reply regarding the outcome of their investigation.
    It's 12 weeks since I raised the calorific value issue with IRESA, it's 9 weeks since I supplied evidence to OFGEM of the wrong calorific value issue, and it's 8 weeks to the day since I complained to IRESA about their use of the wrong calorific value for gas billing.

However IRESA have not responded, and although I reminded them a week ago that the complaint remained outstanding, and that it would be a good idea for everyone's benefit if they addressed the issue to avoid the Energy Ombudsman being involved, I have still had no response of any kind.

How much easier it would be if OFGEM had forced IRESA to comply with this license condition for all customers, rather than requiring numerous individuals to take complaints to the Energy Ombudsman.
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • DonnySaver
    DonnySaver Posts: 563 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've actually had 2 refunds from them now. However, my Elec is -£11.44 and my Gas is +£11.44. On top of that they've taken another direct debit from me for £68.64. Couple that with the £72 that E.ON have taken and it's now a very expensive month for me! :mad:

Iresa are assuring me that my account is now CLOSED. However, still the issues of the direct debit that has been taken which they claim they haven't - well they have - and my bank confirms this. Now putting in a chargeback via the Direct Debit guarantee to get this money back. Oh, and my bank have cancelled the direct debit for me because Iresa hadn't.

Hopefully .... I'm now done with Iresa for good. :dance::dance:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Iresa are assuring me that my account is now CLOSED. However, still the issues of the direct debit that has been taken which they claim they haven't - well they have - and my bank confirms this. Now putting in a chargeback via the Direct Debit guarantee to get this money back. Oh, and my bank have cancelled the direct debit for me because Iresa hadn't.

Hopefully .... I'm now done with Iresa for good. :dance::dance:

Iresa cannot cancel your DD mandate.: you have to do it. What they can do is stop making requests for payment as most responsible firms do at the end of a contract.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure