Options

Comments

• milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 August 2016 at 1:06AM
    Options
    Ok Smod if you insist: I & Me
    Most people understand the difference between the two of these ... until it comes time for them to use one in a sentence. They'll say something like:

When you get done with that lab report, can you send it to Bill and I?

But that's wrong.

Try taking Bill out of that sentence -- it sounds weird, right? You would never ask someone to send something to "I" when he or she is done. The reason it sounds weird is because "I" is the object of that sentence -- and "I" should not be used in objects. In that situation, you'd use "me

The question of how to refer to yourself along with other people is commonly misunderstood. Most people know to say the other person's name first when it happens at the beginning of the sentence; "Mark and I went to the meeting." But when this same phrase happens at the end of a sentence people get confused, often thinking the same usage of "I" is appropriate, which it isn't.

Instead, it should be "The CEO met with Mark and me." The easy way to remember this one is to imagine removing the other person's name. It would sound weird to say "The CEO met with I," right?

Above taken from 25 Common Grammarical Errors and 10 most common Grammar Errors
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Kim, Mila, all,

Get a load of you, Miss Mila! :D Smodlet sits corrected... except in Jamaica, where "I and I" is perfectly acceptable. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Innit?
  • milasavesmoney
    Options
    How are you today Kim? I hope all the kids are good for you today. It's funny how, now that mine are all grown, I get disturbed by children being too loud. For years I barely recognized kid noise. Self preservation? :rotfl:

Jamaica? That works for me!!! Let's go there and practice saying I. :D
    [Regina Brett]
  • Smodlet
    Options
    Only if you can find a nice, cool bit, Mila, remember how Kim and I were melting a week or so ago?

I and I is, I believe, a Rastafari expression and I would not want to offend anyone. I also have a bit of a tendency to soak up accents like a sponge so it would be only a matter of time before I began to attempt patois, which could also tick people off.

Back in the day I used to talk in a scouse accent for half an hour after every ep of the Liver Birds... you can imagine what four years in Geordieland did to me. Apparently, I still have a bit of a "northern lilt" even now and I can put on a accent local to where I live, oop where it's grim.
  • kimplus8
    kimplus8 Posts: 968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi all, you have totally lost me at 'bill and I'.
    I have had a lovely day, the health visitor came to book me in to be seen once baby is here, she was very complementary about how lovely my children are and that made me feel so happy and proud. The kids have been making dens on the trampoline and playing in the garden together, I've been cleaning ( nesting!!!!!) and planning our online shop for the week, I've been scanning net mums and B can food some some ideas as its too hot to cook in the evenings and the kids aren't liking cooked food too much as they just want to graze on fruit and salad because of the weather!
    I'm planning lots of things like mini burgers/ meatballs with rolls and salad. Easy to prep and tasty!
    Been seeking out stuff I can sell to make some extra cash, I think it's getting harder to sell anything tbh. People want something for so cheap that's it seems to not be worth the effort, by the time I take into account fees and postage I'm only making 20p an item.
    Hardly worth the time it takes to photo everything and get it listed, plus I worry from the min I sell something that the buying will find a reason to ask for a refund, I have been burned before so I guess I'm just over cautious.
    The kids had soup for dinner except eldest dd who is staying up with me and we are using some vouchers to order a pizza (half price only £5.99) with drink and side order and we are going to go through all her stuff for secondary school. I don't get a huge amount of one on one time with her and I really value doing this with her as she is and always will be my baby no matter how old she gets.
    I have signed up to every dollar on Internet, I love Dave Ramsey anyway and this free software is fantastic for budget planning and seeing what money you have to spend and where it goes.
    I need to seek out contents and life insurance tonight too as I've been told I pay too much at the moment. I want to get this right down.
    Hope everyone is having a lovely week. I am still pregnant so appreciate all prayers for baby to make a safe arrival soon, ild quite like to be able to see my feet again!
    Lots of love
    K+8
    Saving for a house in 2025 LISA £7726/£15000 Emergency Fund £1000/£6000 No spend Year 2023
  • milasavesmoney
    Options
    Did your feet grow with your babies? Mine went from a size 5 1/2 to an 8 by the end of having my babies. I was 25 yrs. when I had my first and my feet stopped growing when I was 15 yrs old! It was a shock!
    I'm so happy to hear about the time you got to spend with your eldest. Those times make such a difference in their self confidence. Mine is 37 yr and still my baby. She is so bossy she has a hard time accepting this but haha she has no choice! Actually, there are times it's a comfort to her.
    For someone to notice your well behaved children is such a boost to mommy' confidence too!

Smodlet I'll plant you and Kim under an huge umbrella and bring you mojitos and Kim the cold drink of her choice (since she will be feeding babyboy). We can let the littlest ones run naked into the surf and build sandcastles with them. We'll take the 12yr old snorkeling. We'll take them all to see the dolphins and the waterfalls. The air isn't very humid and there is almost always a breeze. It will be lovely...
    [Regina Brett]
  • kimplus8
    Options
    Did your feet grow with your babies? Mine went from a size 5 1/2 to an 8 by the end of having my babies. I was 25 yrs. when I had my first and my feet stopped growing when I was 15 yrs old! It was a shock!
    I'm so happy to hear about the time you got to spend with your eldest. Those times make such a difference in their self confidence. Mine is 37 yr and still my baby. She is so bossy she has a hard time accepting this but haha she has no choice! Actually, there are times it's a comfort to her.
    For someone to notice your well behaved children is such a boost to mommy' confidence too!

Smodlet I'll plant you and Kim under an huge umbrella and bring you mojitos and Kim the cold drink of her choice (since she will be feeding babyboy). We can let the littlest ones run naked into the surf and build sandcastles with them. We'll take the 12yr old snorkeling. We'll take them all to see the dolphins and the waterfalls. The air isn't very humid and there is almost always a breeze. It will be lovely...
    Yes! My feet have gone up in size but they tend to settle down 1/2 size once I've had baby. I was a 5.5 but went up to 6.5/7, sometimes in trainers I can wear a 6 but usually I'm a 6.5:cool:

On a beach with the kidlets sounds amazeballs!!!
    They love the beach, any water really, I took them to swimming from a really young age and they all are really water babies/ kids, the paddling pool is a huge hit in our garden:D
    They also love the bath/ shower, my two youngest cry when it's time to come out! :o
    I wish I could go swimming this week, would take all the weight off my huge bump!
    I may see if I can sneak off for an hour on Sunday when my mum is here and go for a swim :p
    The lido where we live is free all summer- I could go for a swim in the sunshine :-)
    Saving for a house in 2025 LISA £7726/£15000 Emergency Fund £1000/£6000 No spend Year 2023
  • Smodlet
    Options
    Ayyyy, Kim, what did I tell you about amazing women making amazing small people? You did that, babe, no-one else.

Sprogs (Am: kids, young 'uns) who want to graze on fruit and salad? I bet not one of yours is overweight and that they all have a basic idea of nutrition... how much do we hear about obese children in this country? Who's the mama? Kim's the mama!

Mila, my love, you can keep your mint-flavoured drinks and just ply me with ice-cold lagers, mate. And !!!!!! snorkelling, you can fish DD12 out yourself, I'm staying in the air-conditioned bar and chatting up the hunks with the braids, not to mention listening to the reggae, man...
  • kimplus8
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Ayyyy, Kim, what did I tell you about amazing women making amazing small people? You did that, babe, no-one else.

Sprogs (Am: kids, young 'uns) who want to graze on fruit and salad? I bet not one of yours is overweight and that they all have a basic idea of nutrition... how much do we hear about obese children in this country? Who's the mama? Kim's the mama!

Mila, my love, you can keep your mint-flavoured drinks and just ply me with ice-cold lagers, mate. And !!!!!! snorkelling, you can fish DD12 out yourself, I'm staying in the air-conditioned bar and chatting up the hunks with the braids, not to mention listening to the reggae, man...
    I'm serious, youngest ds who is 5 ate a whole packet of rocket and spinach the other day! Not even with dressing just out of the pack like a bag of crisp (that's chips mila). The only thing they are not keen on is carrots cooked, but raw carrots my kids go crazy for, they love a carrot in their lunch boxes with an apple and a blob of hummus or cream cheese.
    Baby tomatoes, Romanie lettuce and cucumber, even slices of avocado are a huge hit here! Pretty much any fruit goes down well too, except melon, the middle 2 dd are not keen on melon. They will even tuck into lemon and lime if I slice it up!
    Don't get me wrong they love a treat too, it doesn't take much for them to demolish a large bar of chocolate between them or nachos!!
    Our fave snack at the moment is popcorn- takes 10 mins to make, the kids think it's hilarious to see it all popping in the pan and so so cheap!!!
    I've got midwife tomorrow and I'm hoping she can help move things along ( if you ladies get what I mean) with a sweep! I'm so huge and really want this over now! I just want my son in my arms!
  • milasavesmoney
    Options
    Swept on my last two. Brought on labor with the last one.
    [Regina Brett]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family