Own consumption v export

So, I have had my myimmerSUN monitoring for 1 year as of today, so I thought I would post some information.

I have 2 immerSUNs. One for the immersion heater and one to power some oil-filled radiators in the living room. The export tolerance for the main immerSUN is about 50W to ensure you never import. When the water is hot (or you're exporting despite powering a 3kW immersion (very seldom in the cooler months)) the slave unit cuts in to heat the radiators and has a tolerance of about 150W, presumably to take account of the discussions between sensor, master and slave...

This picture https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14870257/myimmerSUN.JPG shows the period June 2015 through May 2016 displaying all data. Export 31%, or 1,370kWh, which is pleasing.

For this picture https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14870257/myimmerSUN-no%20rads.JPG I have stripped out the slave unit (radiators) and added that data to the export to make 46%, or 2,036kWh

For this picture https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14870257/myimmerSUN-no%20immersion%20or%20radsJPG.JPG I stripped out the immersion as well showing then 62% export, or 2,745kWh.

Or, to put it another way, 735kWh diverted to hot water and 640kWh to the radiators. All hot water provided by PV for 285 days in the year, no contribution on 38 days and between virtually nothing and virtually hot on the remaining 43 days.

Based on past gas use over the summer, I need about 3 times the kWh of gas to heat the water than I do using PV (losses in pipes and boiler efficiency etc), so I use electricity cost to measure the cost effectiveness of the main immerSUN. Also seems reasonable to do that for the heating as we heat only the one room and not the whole house.

Anyway, whatever people's views on that, my return on the immerSUNs is about £80 for the main hot water unit and bout £70 (maybe) for the slave radiator unit.

I am content with that and I am sure I will get thoughts a-plentty:beer:

Comments

• matty2767
    matty2767 Posts: 442
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I haven't had a full years data with my iboost yet. But since I got my new iboost (following the previous one catching fire) at the beginning of April I am showing diverted 430kwh of energy.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,949
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    My iboost is in the loft with no smoke detectors. I do jot like the thought that they can catch fire at all :(
    I think....
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,713
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    pinnks wrote: »
    Also seems reasonable to do that for the heating as we heat only the one room and not the whole house.

My thoughts entirely. Whilst I have TRV's I assume that taking the chill off one room with an oil rad is cheaper (even if imported) and more environmentally friendly than using gas to warm most of the house, which will then 'leak' more heat back out.

Regarding your graphs, and just asking a daft question to make sure I'm reading them correctly, I take it each item isn't the size of its colour but the total from the baseline to the top of its colour?

For instance generation and export in June are 700 and 400, not 300 and 50?

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,257
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Mart,

Indeed. The total height of each bar from the baseline is its value. So June generation 700, export 400, import 140, household (excl diverted) 350 and so on. Taller bars always behind shorter ones. This replicates the myimmerSUN display.
  • sparkysi
    sparkysi Posts: 67 Forumite
    Sadly, 4Eco have now shut up shop.
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,230
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    sparkysi wrote: »
    Sadly, 4Eco have now shut up shop.
    Are we quite sure about that ? Nobody seems to have told Companies House yet
    http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk//companysearch?disp=1&frfsh=1467376475&#result
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • pinnks
    Forumite
    Doesn't look good. Just sent them a mail and got this:

Dear customer

It is with a heavy heart that we have to inform you that 4eco Limited has ceased trading as of 29th June 2016.

If you have a technical issue and require support, please click the link below and complete the form, we will do our best to support you.

Wonder what the future holds for the monitoring site - one of the problems with cloud-based apps etc. If the provider goes down, so will the site and your data...
  • What to do after closure of 4eco Ltd? presumably myimmerSUN monitoring has stopped working? I just (last week) installed a slave to divert excess over 3kw to a second HWC but not yet installed myimmersun. Hopefully the business will be bought and continued/developed.
  • pinnks
    Forumite
    myimmerSUN is still working, though whether new users can register is not known. I assume they either have a pre-paid contract for the servers or that that aspect has already been hived off in some way but I am grateful that it is still live.
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,230
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    pinnks wrote: »
    myimmerSUN is still working, though whether new users can register is not known. I assume they either have a pre-paid contract for the servers or that that aspect has already been hived off in some way but I am grateful that it is still live.
    It doesn't seem to work for me !

I can log in but all figures shown are zero.
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure