Joined 31.05.16

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hey PSL,

I use more than one bank account, think I am up to about 6?!?

It does take a bit of getting used to like hannah said but not that I am sorted with it it seems to work better for me.

Try adding one more at a time to see how you get on & just monitor your online banking so you have the flexibility there to make a transfer if you really need to.

Dxxx
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    Spent £16 lunch for 2. Honestly last one till august when I have planned for a total of 1 till september. This was my turn to pay so was something I was committed to anyway. Then £6.80 in tesco. Milk, juice, tomatoes, onions, foil, mushrooms, bananas.
    I was looking at some calculations today. Total debt is around £15,500 mark due to some miscalculations, essentials and balance transfer charges. In 4 months time - november im aiming for £14000. There is no reason why this shouldn't be achievable. This weekend is quite busy then next week nothing planned for ages. It sounds so easy on paper! I have high hopes for august. xxx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You go girl.
    Is it worth picking one of your debts to put in your signature as the one you want to cross out first (the smallest one)? Might help to keep focused and with a smaller number, you'll see progress much quicker?
    Have you got an emergency fund yet as well? Just thinking that might help if you have to do a lunch etc unplanned?

Hope the sun was shining where you are today x
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    No EF yet. It is in the plans.
    I am focusing on the hsbc credit card and watching the loan get reduced as its £153 a month. Possible £750 bonus next march would see this gone in march. I know its 8 months away but this is what i am hoping for. Apparently so far the company is doing ok but we may do ok and not get a bonus so this is a plan for the ideal situation but.it could well be that we get to march and there is no bonus.
    Now that i should be able to keep out of my overdraft I am going to round my payments up to one of my mbna cards to £50, if I commit to having less lunches out I should be able to do this. This means paying £600 a year instead of £420. Then if this feels comfortable I will round up the payment on the other one too.
    It is going to be ok but its not remotely easy. Spent £20 in tesco today mostly alcohol and snacks, toiletries. Nsds next week to compensate. xxxx

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    Not a great morning money-wise but i put on my credit card so plan to pay off on payday.

£110 next sale this includes a Christmas present, work clothes and some bits for my friends baby. 2 pairs of jeans I may not keep.

£13 on pillows, this was in my plans so pleased with this.

£4 boots essentials.

I did need these things, but after sunday should be quite downhill to pay day and nothing social planned till 5th august or possible 30th july - to be confirmed.
    I feel a lot more positive recently, feel like I have a plan. April-october are the worst months for spending so just need to hang on in there and be patient.
    My rough calculations have made me feel like im no.longer drowning, granted im not doing well but it does have an end date and just needs a lot of patience and will power to push through.

Half way through season 2 of homeland. Studying going ok. Diet not going ok. But I am out of overdraft and plan to be next month too so that feels like a giant leap in the right direction. xxx

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • reality_check
    Options
    You're so open and honest on what you buy and how you feel. I can really relate to you. It will get it easier, it has to lol we are all in the same boat. Enjoy your weekend xxx
    Starting debt £18,675.63 :eek:
    Current debt: £5,000 (16/05/18)
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm all caught up with Homeland - what a fab series. Just waiting for the next series now - which isn't going to be filmed until after the US election apparantly.

I've had a very spendy day, had to buy Euros and bits for my holidays to Spain. Think I'm going to dip into my overdraft and it's really bothering me :( how silly is that lol - but good. My mindset has definitely changed. I'll only be overdrawn for about 3 days but I don't like it!

Well done for not going into your overdraft! :T
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well done PSL - progress is progress. None of us will get there as quickly as we would like, or without issues along the way. Focus on the positives xx
  • tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Options
    Morning, well done on the overdraft - really good progress. Loads of accounts didn't work for me I wasn't well organised enough to keep on top of it. I kept things really simple. Minimums on everything by direct debit and target one debt and over pay even if only by a few pounds every month.
    What did really work for me was 'tilly Tidies' every day I rounded down my current account to the pound and the pennies went to debt, it makes a surprisingly large amount over a few months. And I gave myself a fairly generous going out budget, being single can be lonely and you just can't drop out of all social stuff people move on. I did tell a close friend the truth and she helped a lot having one person who knew gave me an outlet for triumphs when I paid off a debt and sometimes commiserations when it seemed to be taking for ever.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You know what, you are being honest & real with yourself.

We need to be, there are going to be times for all of us when we spend when we shouldn't.

You can't go without everything until the debt it paid off, you just can't do that.

So chuffed that you are still out of the overdraft!

Dxxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport