Referendum: which way are you voting?

Options

Comments

• guiriman
    guiriman Posts: 525 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Leave
    They'd be better doing something about Air Passenger Duty than focusing on this one specific route. Flying back on business from South Africa the difference between flying to Belfast once I got to Heathrow and flying to Dublin was £1,000!
  • RikM
    RikM Posts: 811 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Remain
    guiriman wrote: »
    They'd be better doing something about Air Passenger Duty than focusing on this one specific route. Flying back on business from South Africa the difference between flying to Belfast once I got to Heathrow and flying to Dublin was £1,000!

? Heathrow to Belfast APD would be £26 at most...?
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    edited 5 November 2016 at 1:13AM
    Options
    A couple of years ago, I was going to Washington DC, and as a hard core money saver, bought the cheapest ticket, which was from Dublin via schiphol, Amsterdam. This meant I had to go through immigration at Dulles, Washington. After 3 hours in a queue, I lost all wish to be in America, and just wanted to go home.
    Clearing immigration in Dublin first is the way to go. English people from the north are on to this now, and take Ryanair from Leeds, Manchester and Liverpool to go to Dublin, then on to America. (Whether this survives Brexit remains to be seen.)
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • qwert_yuiop
    edited 5 November 2016 at 1:05AM
    Options

Do you mean a business class ticket?
  • RikM
    edited 5 November 2016 at 10:06AM
    Options
    Remain
    Even on a business class ticket, long haul originating in the UK, the APD would only be £146, as I understand it.
    It's irritating having a "tax to fly", it was even when it was £6 each way, but it's not that huge in comparison to anything but budget airline tickets.
  • qwert_yuiop
    Options
    The cheapest ways by far to go to South Africa are from Dublin via Addis Ababa with Ethiopian airways or via Dubai with Gulf. Bit of hanging around involved.
  • guiriman
    guiriman Posts: 525 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Leave
    Do you mean a business class ticket?

Yep, it was a business class ticket, but obviously the flight to Belfast would not have been (no business class seats) and the flight to Dublin was...
  • qwert_yuiop
    Options
    Yep, it was a business class ticket, but obviously the flight to Belfast would not have been (no business class seats) and the flight to Dublin was...

I take it that included the limousine to pick you up at Dublin and drive you home, with the champagne on tap. And the cigars.
  • JoseChungsDoomsday
    JoseChungsDoomsday Posts: 823 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 November 2016 at 4:20PM
    Options
    Remain
    As someone who has used the EWR flight about 10 times I'm really sorry to see it go. However, was it worth £9 million? No. United greed has caused this and I appreciate Stormonts attempt to keep it but they don't deserve it. The flight was a success and I'm sure that we'll get another direct flight eventually.

The one thing that has annoyed me is the Green Party. While I know they are economic amateurs, I did support them up until this. Their leader was almost aggressive in his joy that it has been cancelled. As a party that supports 'shop local' it seems that doesn't include airports. I now think their parties goal is to purge NI of the kind of economic advantage NI would have with a direct flight to the US.
    :santa2:
  • RikM
    Options
    Remain
    As someone who has used the EWR flight about 10 times I'm really sorry to see it go. However, was it worth £9 million? No. United greed has caused this and I appreciate Stormonts attempt to keep it but they don't deserve it. The flight was a success and I'm sure that we'll get another direct flight eventually.

The one thing that has annoyed me is the Green Party. While I know they are economic amateurs, I did support them up until this. Their leader was almost aggressive in his joy that it has been cancelled. As a party that supports 'shop local' it seems that doesn't include airports. I now think their parties goal is to purge NI of the kind of economic advantage NI would have with a direct flight to the US.

It's just that they would prefer that no-one flew (or travelled anywhere, for that matter). Except green activists going to junkets in other countries, of course...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure