There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip
  • RikM
    RikM Posts: 811 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Remain
    Zola. wrote: »
    So it looks like Brexit may not happen after all haha

Except there is a Tory majority and a cabinet which appears to be in favour... So the whip would be applied (presumably). Then the Lords would object and, hello, here comes the next constitutional crisis...
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Options
    I'd say the liberals might experience a resurgence with all this, as the only pro eu party that remainers can rely on. We'll only know if brexit is delayed if course.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Remain
    Every cloud has a silver lining...

(Surge in shoppers from the republic)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-37871271
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Options
    ...and now there's a chance, however remote, of Brexit not happening, they're only getting 88p to the euro.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • Ticked
    Ticked Posts: 516 Forumite
    Options
    Leave
    Interesting article

United Airlines to stop Belfast to New York flights http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-37834823

This has happened because we're in the EU, not because we're leaving. The result would have been different if we were already out.
  • saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    Options
    Leave
    I'm actually pretty happy the EC stepped in to stop this payment. The permanent sectary even called it "irregular". It's madness to offer a subsidy to an already profitable route when Dublin airport is 90 minutes away with far better service.

"Belfast" "International" is an OKish regional airport, it should stick to what it's Okish at. Pointless trying to compete with Dublin.
  • Tammykitty
    Tammykitty Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Leave
    saverbuyer wrote: »
    I'm actually pretty happy the EC stepped in to stop this payment. The permanent sectary even called it "irregular". It's madness to offer a subsidy to an already profitable route when Dublin airport is 90 minutes away with far better service.

"Belfast" "International" is an OKish regional airport, it should stick to what it's Okish at. Pointless trying to compete with Dublin.

It may only be 90 minutes from Belfast Int (or actually 2 hours), but from Derry it is nearer 3 hours away, Aldergrove serves well as a regional airport, its a good location, and as someone who lives probably about the same distance from both, I fly from it when I can, its a much easier airport to negotiate.

And when flying on business (Like a lot of those using the Newark flight), the extra few hours make a massive difference. The extra 3-4 hours to get to and from the airport, the extra time negotiating Dublin airport (which is very slow).

Keeping the route and subsidizing it, was a good decision, as given the coming reduction in corporation tax, we are trying to attract business here instead of Great Britain or Southern Ireland - this is just another reason for a multinational to locate in the South instead of the North.

The State Aid rules are a major downside to the EU, a country should be allowed to make a decision like this if it chooses to do so.
  • saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    Options
    Leave
    Tammykitty wrote: »
    It may only be 90 minutes from Belfast Int (or actually 2 hours), but from Derry it is nearer 3 hours away, Aldergrove serves well as a regional airport, its a good location, and as someone who lives probably about the same distance from both, I fly from it when I can, its a much easier airport to negotiate.

And when flying on business (Like a lot of those using the Newark flight), the extra few hours make a massive difference. The extra 3-4 hours to get to and from the airport, the extra time negotiating Dublin airport (which is very slow).

Keeping the route and subsidizing it, was a good decision, as given the coming reduction in corporation tax, we are trying to attract business here instead of Great Britain or Southern Ireland - this is just another reason for a multinational to locate in the South instead of the North.

The State Aid rules are a major downside to the EU, a country should be allowed to make a decision like this if it chooses to do so.

I'd be pushing more for the A5 rather than an airline subsidy.

You know with the corporation tax reduction, only N.I. profits can be booked here. No chance of attracting those multinationals, they can already book all there sales through Dublin. Also excludes financial sector. All a bit pointless really.

Plus you've got immigration Dublin side. Saves 45 mins queuing.
  • RikM
    RikM Posts: 811 Forumite
    Options
    Remain
    saverbuyer wrote: »

Having done the Dublin-Newark thing (which actually turned out to be Dublin- Newark, Newark-London-Dublin), it's a pain. I thought the Belfast flights restarting were a great idea. That extra couple of hours to/from Dublin are a killer, with long flights.

Overall, the limited direct flight options from Belfast are often a pain.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure