PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2016 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• wannalot
    wannalot Posts: 182 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all

I'm back in this month, with a budget of £160.

I haven't done too well over recent months, but I am determined to keep trying! I think up to now I have been averaging between £170 and £190, but I have a freezer which is ridiculously full, and really needs to be emptied and defrosted, so I want to use up a lot stuff this month.

So far, I have spent £5.94 in Tesco (mainly YS stuff: tuna steaks, lots of cheese for pennies and some veg) and I did a £42.40 main shop in Lidl using a £5 off voucher.

I'm doing Slimming World at the moment, which isn't really cheap, but it does mean that I might have broken my takeaway habit! I'm going to have a mammoth cooking session today: butternut squash and sweet potato soup, chicken and spinach curry, and a leg of lamb, so I'll have loads of healthy meals for the week, and I'll hopefully find some freezer space to wedge some of the lamb into!

have a lovely Sunday!
    wanna
    2024 goals
    GC: Jan £160 (annual £1920)
    Savings: save £10K (or move house)
    Health: Lose 3 stone
    Mind: read at least 24 books
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    edited 29 May 2016 at 10:10AM
    Options
    Can I be put down for £240 again please.

This is from the 10th until the 8th July for all food in and out of the house for 2 adults and 2 teens.

Thanks for the thread Zippy, Coxy and Lynne :A
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • miss_try_to_save
    Options
    hi i would like to do this months challenge ive got a awkward month as my oh changing jobs and all our income going monthly so i would like to £360 for the month this is from the 2nd of june to the 30th june i have most of baby stuff except milk and baby food so this is for 3/4/5 adults and a baby any tips on shopping monthly rather than weekly would be helpful thanks
    oct 2015 grocery challenge £183/£2360

0/£600 aug 2016 grocery challenge

• Happytravelling
    Options
    Hi everyone :wave:

Just back from visiting family in sunny Cyprus and ready for the challenge! Had lots of time to think about cheap meals and peruse MIL's lovely recipe books. Also stocked up on some dried herbs, much cheaper there than here, and some yum yum yummy halloumi :D

Forgot that we would need to stop for food on the motorway on the way home, spends so far £21.11/ £175, but £9.25 was motorway food :(

Realised I'm too tired/ lazy to do a proper shop after traveling, so rather than throw a load of tasty looking expensive stuff unnecessarily into a trolley, I've just got a few essentials. So not the perfect start I'd hoped for, but certainly better than it could have been.

Now to procrastinate for the afternoon to avoid the dreaded unpacking...
    August 2016 GC £249.70/£150
    July 2016 GC £114.03/ £120
    June 2016 GC
    £170.09/ £175
  • drcee
    drcee Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Two NSDs for me. I managed to make minestrone soup, tuna fish cakes, and chicken curry with storecupboard ingredients. I think I will have to top up on salad ingredients midweek as my lettuce hasn't stretched very far!

A promising start to the month :-)
    NST June 2016 No. 11
    NSD: 2/20
    June Grocery Challenge: £85.66/£120
    DFD 1 December 2016: Virgin Atlantic CC: £180.33; Barclaycard CC: £2271.98
  • ancientmum
    ancientmum Posts: 566 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi
    Please can you put me down for £180 again from 31st May to 30th June. The first spend will be heavy as I need to stock up on basics.
    Good luck everyone.
    Grocery challenge 2024: Annual budget £298.98/1200
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 29 May 2016 at 8:42PM
    Options
    Family of 4, first time doing this for a while so going to start with £300, not sure what I normally spend(must be around 250-350) but aim for this month is to keep a record and then try and bring it down from there.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone :wave:

and some yum yum yummy halloumi.

Did you get any of the Cypriot hard cheese, their version of Parmesan, I always brought a
    kilo back with me.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good Morning chums and £60.00 again for me for June please .I have a bet on with my friend that I will at least empty one of my food cupboards by the end of June, so apart from fresh salad stuff I am doing my utmost to stay away from shops in June .Any left over cash from my food purse will go towards my Race for Life fund in July so a bit more effort needed to help me empty a cupboard and put some cash into some good cause.

Onwards and upwards everyone
    JackieO xx
  • annab275
    annab275 Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone on a gorgeous Bank Holiday Monday! Can you put me down for £170 this month please! It has really helped to keep hold of receipts and keep track of spends, plus I have been much more inventive which translates to real cash savings.
    must say NO to impulse buys!
    GC March Challenge £182/200
    GC April Challenge £232/£175
    GC May Challenge £170/£175
    GC June Challenge £175
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts