PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

New here and really need to sort myself out(please move if in wrong place)

Options

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sounds like BF may be a bit depressed gemma so I'm not making light of his situation. I think what happens is the less you do the less you want to do and then end up in a downward spiral. But (although I'm no expert or doctor) I'm convinced that forcing yourself to achieve something is a way out.

I'd have thought writing a CV/flyer explaining that he's been to college and done part time work on farms would look good. As the weather is picking up (allegedly!) then grass is starting to grow and I'd have thought lots of elderly people will want help with gardening.

I only know Cornwall as a tourist but would I be right in thinking that you travel (with all the costs involved) to Plymouth to Primark? Are there no retail jobs in Liskeard? If you're on a low wage then travel takes a big chunk.

What's on the agenda for today?:)
  • gemmajenkins0208
    Options
    He has just applied for an assistant greenkeeper at one of the local golf clubs :D It's technically like what he's used to, just on a smaller scale.

There are shops and things here but none of them seemed to be taking on while I was looking for work. This time last year I literally applied for 50 jobs doing anything and everything in the space of about a week and primark were the only ones to get back to me :o

And I'm on the living wage now so the travel costs aren't too bad :)

The agenda for today, ummm, bf needs to visit the jobcentre as his money didn't go in, mum and I might make some buns, mum wanted to do an egg and bacon pie but that involves buying pastry, or at least things to make pastry so she's going to wait until she does the proper shop :)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 April 2016 at 11:38AM
    Options
    The agenda for today, ummm, bf needs to visit the jobcentre as his money didn't go in, mum and I might make some buns, mum wanted to do an egg and bacon pie but that involves buying pastry, or at least things to make pastry so she's going to wait until she does the proper shop :)

That's very mse:money: as popping to the shops midweek can be very expensive.

ETA: unless you can just poke your head in and look for YS bargains for the freezer!

Just a thought if you were fancying bacon and egg pie: but I make a quiche with a mashed potato base which is very nice. So basically mashed potato in the bottom of the dish then pour the beaten egg, onion, (cooked bacon) and cheese mixture on top and bake in the oven like any normal quiche recipe but without pastry.
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1101645/cheese-and-bacon-quiche
    This would work but a splash of milk not cream!

It's lovely with salad or pickles or baked beans and far more filling than normal quiche.

ETA: frittata is even simpler and you can cook it (like Spanish omelette) on the hob/grill so no need for the oven on.

Have a good day and fingers crossed fro BF and the job. :)
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Gemma,been reading along and I have to say I like your get up and go, and like the fact that you are taking on board sometimes hard hitting facts with good grace

Well done

I don't know who eats with who, or if you all get your own meals, but you seem to be encouraging mum along as well with cooking and shopping. These two areas are where you can really save money to go towards debt

It would be a good idea to do a meal plan each week. Look at what's already in the house, choose reciepes around what you have and then only buy what you need to get through the week, as well as the stock cupboard essentials such as flour, trex, gravy granules etc

I meal plan loosely each week. I know exactly what I have already in the house be it a ys bargain picked up and frozen to how much flour I have in. I go shopping and look for the best bargains in meat and fish and ys aisle and meal plan from there. For 3 adults I aim for £35 a week including cleaning and toiletries. We eat extremely well on that, no one goes hungry, no one has malnutrition :) it takes a while to get to cutting back to that level and yes we still do have cba's nights now and then but now we can afford to without getting over drawn or putting on a card

Best thing about cooking from scratch is that your cooking skills increase, as does your reciepe go toos. I'm a much better cook then I was before I found this board, I'm even making jams and curds and thinking about wine this year. Best thing I've found though is I no longer want ready meals and take outs as I find them all too salty

Oh instead of egg and bacon pie, try a fattita, no pastry required :)
  • gemmajenkins0208
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe maman :D

suki - Thank you for your kind words! :)

When mum is home, she cooks a meal and we all have the same and all eat at the same time, but if she's working she will take something to have at work, premake something for dad to heat in the microwave, my brother and his gf will make/buy something for themselves and my bf and I will do the same.

Meal planning is a good idea, but we now have nothing left in the store cupboards! Other than some gravy and half a bag of plain flour :rotfl:

So once mum gets paid and she goes and does the big shop she will get cupboard staples and obviously the easier things to immediately make meals from.

The only things we have left are a pack of salmon my brother is having for tea tonight, a 2 pack of these breaded chicken things his gf is going to have and then my mum, dad, me and my bf will have chips and something and then I'm pretty sure all stocks will be depleted and we'll have to go by it day to day for a few days before mum gets paid and stocks up again :)
  • suki1964
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe maman :D

suki - Thank you for your kind words! :)

When mum is home, she cooks a meal and we all have the same and all eat at the same time, but if she's working she will take something to have at work, premake something for dad to heat in the microwave, my brother and his gf will make/buy something for themselves and my bf and I will do the same.

Meal planning is a good idea, but we now have nothing left in the store cupboards! Other than some gravy and half a bag of plain flour :rotfl:

So once mum gets paid and she goes and does the big shop she will get cupboard staples and obviously the easier things to immediately make meals from.

The only things we have left are a pack of salmon my brother is having for tea tonight, a 2 pack of these breaded chicken things his gf is going to have and then my mum, dad, me and my bf will have chips and something and then I'm pretty sure all stocks will be depleted and we'll have to go by it day to day for a few days before mum gets paid and stocks up again :)

This is why meal planning is so important, so you don't have to wing it and making expensive choices when food stocks are depleted

There are 6 adults in your family and it would be cheaper for you all to eat the same meal. Even those with limited cooking skills can take their turn to cook or get the veg prepared for when the cook gets in that evening My DH could burn water but he washes up around me and does the veg, mashes the spuds etc so I'm not doing it all myself

When I work in the evenings I have the meal basically ready, just potatoes or whatever needing doing so mum and DH have their meal at a time that suits them and I have mine when I get in, the same meal, just a different time

It also saves on the energy bills, only putting the oven on the once, one lot of washing up etc etc

Like I say it take a while getting the hang of it and maybe even longer before you have a well stocked store cupboard of basics but once you do,your shopping bills will decrease considerably ( just imagine only having to buy tinned beans one week instead of flour, gravy, spaghetti , Tom ketchup as well as the tinned beans ) :)
  • gemmajenkins0208
    Options
    Yeah i know suki :)

Mum has managed to dig some chips and chicken dippers out from the bottom of the freezer and a strawberry cheesecake for afters :D

She just needs to get the cheapest tin of beans Morrisons sell to go with it :o
  • suki1964
    Options
    Yeah i know suki :)

Mum has managed to dig some chips and chicken dippers out from the bottom of the freezer and a strawberry cheesecake for afters :D

She just needs to get the cheapest tin of beans Morrisons sell to go with it :o

Rome wasn't built in a day :)

I just noticed your other thread about getting fitter and what your mum cooks for your dinner, can I make a suggestion? Instead of buying the weeks groceries which you can't afford, how about you buying fresh and cook from scratch a meal for the family one night?

I see fish pie is on the menu, that's so easy to make from fresh and really cheap if you are a canny shopper

Fish pie mix is usually found ys, as is a lot of fish. Once you snag that ( freeze until you have enough if you can't get it all at once) you only need milk, eggs, a bit of flour and an onion and a small amount of grated cheese. It takes as long as the spuds to boil to prepare and just needs browning off under the grill. For 6 of you a fiver should cover you. You don't need any fancy herbs and spices to make that and it will be a lot healthier then a ready meal

Just a suggestion, a way of getting the rest of the family on board without nagging them
  • gemmajenkins0208
    Options
    I have dabbled in cooking meals for the family before, my speciality is curries, bologneses and pasta dishes. Unofrtunately the sauce is in a jar!

When i am off for 3 weeks next month I'm going to try and make as many fresh meals as often as i can, and try and make my own sauces! :D

I actually found a fish pie recipe the other day that looked easy enough so i will be giving that one a crack too ;)
  • suki1964
    Options
    I have dabbled in cooking meals for the family before, my speciality is curries, bologneses and pasta dishes. Unofrtunately the sauce is in a jar!

When i am off for 3 weeks next month I'm going to try and make as many fresh meals as often as i can, and try and make my own sauces! :D

I actually found a fish pie recipe the other day that looked easy enough so i will be giving that one a crack too ;)

Jars are a help when you are first starting out, nothing to be ashamed of. Padding the mince with grated carrot and lentils will make it go further and make it healthier. Also adding chopped mushrooms and peppers will help

I only stopped using jars for curry a few years back tbh. Then I got a fantastic curry book and haven't used a jar since.

Just ask on here for any help with a recipe and I'm sure you will get all the help and advice you need
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport