PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Is Jam Easy To Make???

Options

Comments

• Loadsabob
    Loadsabob Posts: 662 Forumite
    Options
    Not to hi-jack this thread, but I wondered whether anyone has favourite recipes for fruit conserves...I will have a look online too, but am always interested in tried-and-testeds.

I had the most gorgeous homemade peach and plum preserves in France a few years ago, they were delicious, fairly runny and not too sweet. I guess they wouldn't last as long as jams, but I wondered whether anyone knows how best to adapt a jam recipe into a conserve one?...I would guess less sugar (which is what I'm aiming for). I just don't want such a solid, sugary subtance at the end. I know it wouldn't keep for as long, but if it was as gorgeous as the stuff I had in France, it wouldn't be around for too long anyway!!
  • spendaholic
    spendaholic Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think he really means it - he's had a bad weekend looking after us all :o

I was looking for a new user called "MoaneySaving"! :D
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    moggins wrote:
    I never make jam before September, that's my time for touring round the countryside and finding what I can pick from the hedgerows.

I've followed your example Moggins and scoured our local hedgerows.

Just one question

How long do I need to boil the used sanitary towel and the discarded !!!!!! mag I found to make them into jam:eek: :p
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Math!!!!! That deserves a spanking again ;)
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cheers Math :rotfl:

... just wish you'd warn me before making posts like that so I can cover the monitor and keyboard :D
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Some jams are more cost effective than others, I find. Redcurrant jelly is never cheap to buy as well as never being as good as home made. Marmalade is also worth making as it is cheaper and miles nicer.
    (Have to confess I quite like the Lidl's raspberry jam)

I use the recipes in a cheap paperback I bought years ago called 'The Right Way to Make Jams' - not sure if you can still get it but I've never had a failure following this. Lemon curd I make in the pressure cooker (there's a recipe in my Prestige booklet) - terribly easy, none of that endless stirring and it's to die for
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • mink35
    mink35 Posts: 6,068 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MATH wrote:
    I've followed your example Moggins and scoured our local hedgerows.

Just one question

How long do I need to boil the used sanitary towel and the discarded !!!!!! mag I found to make them into jam:eek: :p

OMG - this has actually made me laugh out loud! Thank goodness I wasn't drinking anything at the time! Thanks MATH :D:D
    Mink
  • BWZN93
    BWZN93 Posts: 2,182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Evening all!

Ive bought some peaches and cherries as I was intending to have fruit smoothies, however, Ive now decided to make a peach and cherry jam in the breadmaker (I bloody LOVE that thing - pride of my kitchen!) and have found that they are low on pectin so will need to get some of that jam sugar in the morning. Will I need to get lemons too for extra setting or will the sugar be enough? Also, do I chop them or can I blend them first (braun stickblender is second pride of the kitchen!) as im not too fond of lumpy jam! I just dont want to ruin my first attempt and need a bit of help!

Ta Muchly!

Jo xx
    #KiamaHouse
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The sugar should be enough Jo, If you can find a cooking apple somewhere then peel and core that, cut it into pieces and shove it in with the rest of the fruit. It will be enough to give it a pectin boost but not enough that the jam tastes of apple.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • tootles_2
    tootles_2 Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Options
    I make a French type conserve.....

Match a pound of fruit with suger, put the fruit in a bowl and pour the sugar over the top and cover with a plate, leave for 24 hours.......tip everything into a large pan and bring to the boil and allow it to roll boil for approx 15 minutes, take the pan off the heat and test a spoonfull on a plate that has been in the fridge, if it wrinkles when you push you finger through it, leave off the heat for approx 15 minutes and then pour into ready warmed jars, and put a lid on and allow to go cold. If the conserve does not wrinkle put it back on the heat for another 5 minutes and test again.....if scum forms on the top put a knob of butter in and it will disperse. You can also use a sugar thermometer, I prefer the plae method, but its all according to what you prefer.

If I use strawberries I put the juice of a lemon in to help the fruit to set. You can use frozen fruit, just tip it into the bowl and pour the sugar on the top and leave it for the 24 hours. Mixed fruit jam is what it says a mixture of fruit again use a pound of fruit to a pound of sugar.

I save my jam jars. Making jam is not cheap but the quality is so much better than the stuff you buy in the shop. You can use sugar with added pectin..........

Living in the sunny? Midlands, where the pork pies come from:

saving for a trip to Florida and NYC Spring 2008

Total so far £14.00!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills