PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Is Jam Easy To Make???

Options

Comments

• moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    LOL, can you come and help me then Squeaky? Between the two of us we should just about get it right.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    LOL. I make a really good mandarin toffee too :) It was meant to be a thick syrup for ice cream but set solid on contact. Oh well. It tasted nice.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • margaret_3
    margaret_3 Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    Options
    I have just finished making rasberry jam and it is quite delicious. However, Lidl's jam is VERY cheap and tastes nothing like this. The only comparable commercial jam that compares is MacKay's Rasberry Conserve at £1.30 per jar and though I haven't worked it out, I think that both prices will be roughly the same.
    If you are trying to save money, it isn't worthwhile making your own.
    :p
    Margaret
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It all depends really, doesn't it? If you can get all your fruit for free, then all you are paying for is the sugar?

I never make jam before September, that's my time for touring round the countryside and finding what I can pick from the hedgerows.

Although I may make an exception this year now I have found a recipe for carrot marmalade :D
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • ET03
    ET03 Posts: 264 Forumite
    Options
    3 cups raspberries
    3 cups sugar
    Mash berries in a saucepan and stir in sugar. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and beat with a wire whip or mixer for 6 minutes. Pour into jars and allow to cool. If not canning, keep stored in refrigerator.
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    margaret wrote:
    I have just finished making rasberry jam and it is quite delicious. However, Lidl's jam is VERY cheap and tastes nothing like this. The only comparable commercial jam that compares is MacKay's Rasberry Conserve at £1.30 per jar and though I haven't worked it out, I think that both prices will be roughly the same.
    If you are trying to save money, it isn't worthwhile making your own.
    :p
    Margaret

.................but it won't be long before you'll be able to PYO, if you live near PYO centre or farm :drool:

.....and just look out for cheap sugar
  • lucky111
    lucky111 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    HI i know im a bit thick? but has anyone got any recipies, of how to do jams and chutney etc,??? please many thanks
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hiya, welcome to MoneySaving :)

If you click on The Indexes in my signature there are some recipes in our Old Style Collection listed there and also some in the BreadMaker thread listed there if you have a breadmaker and at the bottom of that page are links to sites like Jamie Oliver and Delia which you could search for inspiration and information.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lucky111 wrote:
    HI i know im a bit thick? but has anyone got any recipies, of how to do jams and chutney etc,??? please many thanks

Google is your friend

Chutney Recipes

Jam Recipes
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    squeaky wrote:
    Hiya, welcome to MoaneySaving :)
    I think he really means it - he's had a bad weekend looking after us all :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts