PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Is Jam Easy To Make???

Options
Hello There

I have this morning received a voucher from Lakeland :D Had a look through their mega expensive brochure..prices shocking :eek:

Anyway, noticed their jam jars priced I assume quite cheaply. 12 1lb jars for £4.50. So it got me thinking :rolleyes:

How easy and cheap is jam to make at home? I dont know if I have missed another thread regarding this?

How much fruit would I need etc to fill 12 jars and how do i do it??? Is it really cost effective to do this?

I normally buy jam from Lidls, either Cherry, Strawberry & Raspberry. I think these are like 69pence each...so is it really worth making?

Thanks
Penny-Pincher!!
xxx
To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
requires brains!
FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS

Comments

• spendaholic
    spendaholic Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Quick reply here, PP - jam, I think, is incredibly easy to make. You can control the amount of sugar you use and it tastes deliciious. I have loads of jam and marmalade recipes, including one from the WW2 cook book, We'll Eat Again. If you like I'll post a few up - unless others already have them ready to copy and paste ...
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You'll find some help and advice [url="tp://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=2353&highlight=jam+making"]Here[/url]
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If you'd like to try something a bit different, try these - http://www.recipegoldmine.com/microwave/micro16.html
    http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/7/0.shtml

Not sure why the second one doesn't work as a link but you can cut and paste for more recipes and tips.

Weird! it works as a link now:confused:
  • ET03
    ET03 Posts: 264 Forumite
    Options
    delia has some great well explained jam recipes
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Delias site is here: http://www.deliaonline.com/
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    Options
    I make jam and marmalade every year and have never "Bought" a jamjar.

If you are currently using bought jam then just put those jars through the dishwasher when empty and reuse them or wash them up as normal. If you haven't got a batch of jars to hand when you want to make some jam you can usually scrounge some empties from friends and neighbours. Giving the lids a good clean as well will enable them to be reused at least once but if your using old pickle jars you may not be able to get the smell off so may need to buy new lids (lakeland or WI) to replace those.

You can practice making small quantities of jam in a microwave and I think some people with some breadmakers can use those to make small batches of jam.

We make jam because we have a lot of soft fruit which needs dealing with and the quality, taste of home made jam is better than bought, but as far as cost is concerned Lidl's will be cheaper.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    I use Jam Sugar that you can buy at supermarkets, it has added pectin which makes things a lot easier (pectin is a natural substance that helps setting, some fruits don't have enough, some do) using the jam sugar cuts out the need to test for pectin with meths. If you are in the mood for experimenting you can try the more unconventional jams, such as kiwi or peach, adding a little alcohol if you have it (peach with Archers is good) just make a jar full at a time then if it isn't quite right you can always use it up with ice cream.
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was also going to say don't buy jars. You can accumulate loads of these in no time at all especially if you ask family, friends and neighbours to save their jars for you.

You don't really need to use jam sugar either. The juice of one lemon will usually give you enough pectin to set about 5lbs of jam. Or start off using a recipe that has some cooking apple in it, these set really easily. The only one I have problems with is strawberry and I can never get that to set no matter what I put in it.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I overdid my attempt at strawberry jam. Finished up with some really nice strawberry toffee instead :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport