🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Lies we tell our children?

Options

Comments

• celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    mellymoo74 wrote: »
    I would never lie to a child so
    Telling my nephew bacon grows on trees cos it's a type of vegetable
    Eels are the hair from a horses tail
    Aren't lies probably

Me neither... broccoli are actually baby trees, kidney beans are mouse kidneys and bollards are really baby lamp posts and will only grow into full sized lamp posts if they are watered every day....

And snakes are really weasels that have wiggled into socks and can't get out again...
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • mellymoo74
    mellymoo74 Posts: 6,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    celyn90 wrote: »
    Me neither... broccoli are actually baby trees, kidney beans are mouse kidneys and bollards are really baby lamp posts and will only grow into full sized lamp posts if they are watered every day....

And snakes are really weasels that have wiggled into socks and can't get out again...

You know I'm stealing the bollard one, right?
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Armchair23 wrote: »
    Ah the smell of Germolene I might just have to go out and buy some !

Likewise, Germolene was the cure-all in my house when I was growing up. Still is, if I'm honest, it's good stuff.

But going back even further - and I don't know if anyone else will remember this one - but if ever I got a cut or a graze or whatever when I was at my grandma's house, Zam-Buk was the answer to everything.
  • celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    mellymoo74 wrote: »
    You know I'm stealing the bollard one, right?

Her parents only clicked two weeks later when they asked her why she was watering it :)

On the up side, I don't get asked to baby sit often :)
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • mumps
    mumps Posts: 6,285 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    My son had an operation when he was 3 nearly 4. He was told a fluffy butterfly was going to land on his hand and magic water was going to make him go to sleep. When he came round after the op he told the nurse or doctor (who ever was with him in recovery) that they were liars and it was a needle and medicine. He was the only child not to get a special butterfly badge as he had been "bad" I was most impressed as you can probably imagine.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • heuchera
    heuchera Posts: 1,825 Forumite
    Options
    Spinkz is back :beer: :j

There's a wall on the way to the school where I live and it's crumbled and fallen down in the middle. We told the kids a giant sat on it :D
    left the forum due to trolling/other nonsense
  • Mimi_Arc_en_ciel
    Options
    My daughter asked me what happens when you die. I said I didn't know but I like to believe we went to live on clouds....

Which worked well for a few years and we would release helium balloons to loved ones who had passed...... Until we went on holiday....on an plane..... Queue SCREAMING child who didn't want to die
  • Lucyxx
    Lucyxx Posts: 3,147 Forumite
    Options
    My children get the cold hard truth about death etc, but when my daughter was at Preschool she would play up a bit on the walk home through sheer tiredness. To distract from a meltdown we used to go past a tree and this became Polly Parrots (from Peppa Pig) tree. When we got to the tree I used to do a Parrot voice to speak to her and ask her about her day and to remind her to be good & my daughter would enthusiastically speak back. Sure after a while she knew it was me, but still loved it all the same!

She is 12 now, and when we drive past we still say "Pollys' tree!" And weirdly the other day we drove past and a house on the other side of the road to the tree has put a plastic parrot on the top of their bush. I said Polly must have moved house haha!
  • Katgrit
    Katgrit Posts: 555 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    On Gogglebox last week as a child Scarlett's Mum had told her that people only got 1,000 words a week so she'd better not talk too much and use them all up. So Scarlett was very quiet so she'd have enough to last her over the weekend. Ha ha ha

I was told if I played with my belly button too much it would come undone and I'd go flying round the room like a deflating balloon.

I was also told that cigarettes grew on bushes, and as my Nan and her Neighbour were the only people I knew who smoked I had no reason to question this. So she'd give me an ashtray full of cig stubs and me and my little friend who lived over the road from her would spends hours diligently planting them in rows in her flowerbed. Kept me quiet and got rid of her dog ends!
  • Sarahdol75
    Sarahdol75 Posts: 7,717 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    gt568 wrote: »
    When the ice cream van plays a tune, it means they have sold out. They do it to save you going outside if they haven't any ice cream left....

Ha ha, my parents used to tell me this, I fell for it for years, until I went to a friends house and the ice cream van pulled up and made the tune and her mum went out and got icecreams, I went mad when I got home.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport