My endless dental grief

Options

Comments

• JasonBat
    JasonBat Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    Options
    welshdent wrote: »
    without seeing your tooth i cant say anything. It would depend on lots of factors. Primarily where the fracture is and if it is horizontal or vertical. they do not allude to anything in your report.

Thanks. I am in the process of trying to obtain the actual images. Having these may prove helpful.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I am not a dentist but if my tooth had been painful for 9 years and no one could give me definite answers on what would solve it, I would insist it would be taken out!

I would rather not lose any of my teeth but I am not that vain to put up with 9 years of pain just to keep one. I have plenty of others :)
  • JasonBat
    edited 21 March 2016 at 8:34PM
    Options
    I am not a dentist but if my tooth had been painful for 9 years and no one could give me definite answers on what would solve it, I would insist it would be taken out!

I would rather not lose any of my teeth but I am not that vain to put up with 9 years of pain just to keep one. I have plenty of others :)

Indeed.

If I had known it was this tooth all along I would have considered extracting it a lot sooner.

It seems there has been some negligence in my case in that:
    1. My past consultant should have referred me for a cone beam CT scan many years ago.
    2. My current consultant should have been more careful with the cone beam CT scan results.
    3. I should have been advised by my dentist that the tooth needed a crown as opposed to an onlay.

I e-mailed my consultant today and he recently replied to the effect "oh yeah, it looks like it is cracked". I can't help feel a little irked as I shouldn't have had to find this out on an internet forum. :mad:

In fact I think I even asked him the question squarely and he said there was no sign of a crack as a result of the cone beam CT and that I would certainly feel pain when biting on the tooth if it was cracked (which I do not).
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    welshdent wrote: »
    you can not place it in the first place if it was broken. They come in the form of rubber rods. Just to reitterate. A root filling can not crack or fracture.

They look like this .... http://www.sswhitedental.com/sites/default/files/ssw.gutta.png

http://dentsplymea.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/product_full/A022X.jpg
    Next op is going to tell you "but what if the dentist had one that was broken and fitted it , why would it be impossible to fit a broken one if it is possible to fit the whole one ?"

Op , it does not matter whether the guttapercha point ("the rod") was broken or not. There are different ways of filling the canals , in many of them the rods are melted either before or after placing in the canal. In some they use injectable guttapercha which takes shape of the rod conforming to the walls of the canal after it has been placed there.
    You can look up endodontics and read all about it.
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • JasonBat
    Options
    justme111 wrote: »
    Next op is going to tell you "but what if the dentist had one that was broken and fitted it , why would it be impossible to fit a broken one if it is possible to fit the whole one ?"

A hint of putting words in my mouth there. ;)
  • JasonBat
    Options
    justme111 wrote: »
    Op , it does not matter whether the guttapercha point ("the rod") was broken or not. There are different ways of filling the canals , in many of them the rods are melted either before or after placing in the canal. In some they use injectable guttapercha which takes shape of the rod conforming to the walls of the canal after it has been placed there.
    You can look up endodontics and read all about it.

How do you know which method was used in my case? :)
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,347 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    JasonBat wrote: »
    1. My past consultant should have referred me for a cone beam CT scan many years ago.

This is a very recent technology and many years ago there may not have been an affordable scanner to refer you to.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • JasonBat
    Options
    theoretica wrote: »
    This is a very recent technology and many years ago there may not have been an affordable scanner to refer you to.

I see. Even 9 years ago?
  • justme111
    Options
    A hint of putting words in my mouth there. ;)

Doesn't it fit scenario though ? ;)
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • justme111
    Options
    How do you know which method was used in my case? :)

But that's the point, whichever method was used , broken rod would be irrelevant !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure