My endless dental grief

Options

Comments

• justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    JasonBat wrote: »
    It definitely seems the root filling has cracked in my case which is worrying based on what you have set out.

Do I understand correctly that my case seems to fit the classic case of a cracked tooth?
    Hold on , I written that what you described in your first post fits cracked tooth (root). There seem to be far more to your case than what you written in the first post though.
    Re scan results - indeed they written what you said they did. Must be a typo as it does not make sense.
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    What is worrying is that you ask brook2jack whether you definitely have cracked tooth - he has no way to know it and you not understanding it is what is worrying.
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • JasonBat
    JasonBat Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    Options
    justme111 wrote: »
    Hold on , I written that what you described in your first post fits cracked tooth (root). There seem to be far more to your case than what you written in the first post though.
    Re scan results - indeed they written what you said they did. Must be a typo as it does not make sense.

I see - thanks.
  • JasonBat
    Options
    justme111 wrote: »
    What is worrying is that you ask brook2jack whether you definitely have cracked tooth - he has no way to know it and you not understanding it is what is worrying.

Putting words in my mouth is worrying too. ;)
  • JasonBat
    Options
    Why do I get the impression the two of you aren't exactly impartial? The root canal filling is fractured. I have seen x-ray images of that myself.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,075 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    JasonBat wrote: »
    Why do I get the impression the two of you aren't exactly impartial? The root canal filling is fractured. I have seen x-ray images of that myself.

Just take a step back for a second Jason and think about what might be going on.

The root filling is a soft material in the middle of a hard structure (the root)

How can a soft filling in the middle of a hard cylinder fracture?

Imagine a thin glass rod with a hole down it's length. That 'tube' is then filled with rubber.

What force, or combination of forces could you bring to bear that would break the rubber but leave the glass rod intact?

That is waht you are saying has happened to your tooth if the root filling has 'fractured' but not the root itself.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • JasonBat
    Options
    Toothsmith wrote: »
    Just take a step back for a second Jason and think about what might be going on.

The root filling is a soft material in the middle of a hard structure (the root)

How can a soft filling in the middle of a hard cylinder fracture?

Imagine a thin glass rod with a hole down it's length. That 'tube' is then filled with rubber.

What force, or combination of forces could you bring to bear that would break the rubber but leave the glass rod intact?

That is waht you are saying has happened to your tooth if the root filling has 'fractured' but not the root itself.

I see - thanks. I agree with you. However, what if the filling had a hairline crack in it before it was placed in the tooth albeit unlikely?

I suppose there is no way to know.

The problem I face is that if I extract the tooth I need to be 100% certain it has cracked irreparably.
  • welshdent
    welshdent Posts: 1,991 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    you can not place it in the first place if it was broken. They come in the form of rubber rods. Just to reitterate. A root filling can not crack or fracture.

They look like this .... http://www.sswhitedental.com/sites/default/files/ssw.gutta.png

http://dentsplymea.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/product_full/A022X.jpg
  • JasonBat
    Options
    welshdent wrote: »
    you can not place it in the first place if it was broken. They come in the form of rubber rods. Just to reitterate. A root filling can not crack or fracture.

They look like this .... http://www.sswhitedental.com/sites/default/files/ssw.gutta.png

http://dentsplymea.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/product_full/A022X.jpg

Thanks. So what you are saying is that it is game over for the tooth unless one can excise the cracked root by way of apical surgery?
  • welshdent
    welshdent Posts: 1,991 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    without seeing your tooth i cant say anything. It would depend on lots of factors. Primarily where the fracture is and if it is horizontal or vertical. they do not allude to anything in your report.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure