Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

The New Fat Scotland 'Thanks for all the Fish' Thread.

Options

Comments

• elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    nah the timing needs to suit the needs of Scotland after all its Scotland that is being pulled out of the EU against its will ... Its not like anyone was thinking of Scotland and how it would impact us when they voted out down south ... so why should we then think of you?
  • kabayiri
    kabayiri Posts: 22,740 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    elantan wrote: »
    nah the timing needs to suit the needs of Scotland after all its Scotland that is being pulled out of the EU against its will ... Its not like anyone was thinking of Scotland and how it would impact us when they voted out down south ... so why should we then think of you?

38% of those who did vote did so to leave the EU.

A third of all eligible voters up there couldn't be bothered to turn out.

You're not really that bothered, are you?

It's not like the vast majority of EU migrants head to Scotland anyway. Surprising given your location as the "heart of Europe" :rotfl:
  • wotsthat
    wotsthat Posts: 11,325 Forumite
    Options

I thought the UK was better off in the EU and voted that way.

However, the peoples of the UK voted to leave. I'm going to moan and !!!!! about it a while longer but make the most of it. The idea that Scotland leaving the UK is the obvious reaction takes moaning to a new level. It's the ultimate flounce.

Polls have to be taken with a pinch of salt but the SNP aren't making headway with the argument. If you can't even persuade people to tell a pollster they'd vote leave when there's no referendum on the near horizon then Scots aren't buying it.

Wake me up when leave is consistently polling 60% leave.
  • sss555s
    sss555s Posts: 3,175 Forumite
    Options
    kabayiri wrote: »
    They have no long term interest in the prosperity of England.

That's fine, but we should be equally honest down here.

I'm fine with the SNP pursuing the independence option, but the timing needs to meet the interests of the majority of the UK. I would not support the derailing of what could be key Brexit negotiations for a self-centred party which does not even concern itself with the needs down here.

So basically your views on Scottish independence is driven by prosperity of England and needs down here.

That's fine but don't expect anyone with a vote to listen to your "what's best for England" arguments on a Scottish independence thread.

I want what's best for England too, but not at the expense of Scotland.

38% of those who did vote did so to leave the EU. 62% voted to remain, the highest of any region by far.

A third of all eligible voters up there couldn't be bothered to turn out. Only 72% UK total bothered to turn out. What's your point?

You're not really that bothered, are you? No, you got me, I hate Marmite!

It's not like the vast majority of EU migrants head to Scotland anyway. Surprising given your location as the "heart of Europe" :rotfl: We don't want the vast majority but we have got more than you think.
  • TrickyTree83
    TrickyTree83 Posts: 3,930 Forumite
    Options
    sss555s wrote: »
    So basically your views on Scottish independence is driven by prosperity of England and needs down here.

That's fine but don't expect anyone with a vote to listen to your "what's best for England" arguments on a Scottish independence thread.

No but you want to secede from the UK, which will be at the expense of both the rUK and Scotland.
  • mollycat
    mollycat Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Completely bizarre and divisive point of view, but fairly typical of stuff the Indy nuts spout at the majority of us NO voters up here.

Another poster rants, " I want what's best for England too, but not at Scotland's expense".

Complete and utter insightless POV given the financial advantage Scotland has within the UK. We should be grateful.

To the rUK posters.

I've said this before and make make no apology for saying it again; the propaganda, manipulation, scapegoating, spurious economic and morale positioning of the few pro indy posters are here are NOT CONSISTENT with the views and outlook of the majority of Scots. SNP are trying to create divisions in the UK which do not exist.

To the Indy nuts.

We had the hatred and uncertainty in 2014, if you love your "country" why don't you let everyone move on rather pursuing what would be the bankrupting and ruin of your loved one's futures.

Independent Scotland?
    Wouldn't last a weekend!
  • .string.
    .string. Posts: 2,733 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you mollycat, I take great pleasure on reading your words.

Maybe it's a good time to revisit some poll results that Shakey very kindly gave us some time ago (Post 3086 posting a survey reported by the Sunday Times). It shows that the majority of Scots want a future within the UK, preferably also within the EU. Glad to hear that message from you again Mollycat.

In the interests of balance, I should point out that Shakey thought it proved that the poll showed first choice was to join the EU, of course without the UK. She is, of course, entitled to her own (wrong) opinion.

CsnqEATXYAAXldW.jpg
    Union, not Disunion

I have a Right Wing and a Left Wing.
    It's the only way to fly straight.
  • mollycat
    Options
    Thank you .string.

As always, just happy to help my rUK friends on this thread with what is representative of folks up here in sunny Dundee and what is not.

Always surprised by the suspension of normal codes of thinking and behaviour by some on this thread.

We know that nationalism has caused problems in the past;

Early 20th century europe wide nationalism leading to WW1.

Nazi Germany nationalism in the 1930's.

French BNP nationalism.

UKIP/EDL British nationalism.

SNP nationalism.

All that's needed for this creed to flourish is,

1. Propaganda machine which effectively hides truths/consequences from it's audience.

2. A charismatic leader, often more style than substance.

3. A convenient scapegoat. This does not require to be consistent over a period of time, and can become anyone of us as the situation dictates.

I don't think i'll ever understand why people, properly educated, AND with all the lessons from history to draw on, can't get their heads round this.
  • kabayiri
    kabayiri Posts: 22,740 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sss555s wrote: »

No. Be honest and fight your corner I say.

It's what happens anyway. You don't think Londoners worry about inner Glasgow do you?

I respect the right to independence. I think long term Scotland would be better. It's just using Brexit as some excuse which is a load of hogwash.

I'd say the same about Europe. I work with Poles out in Poland. They want to use the EU to improve their economy by funding infrastructure. They aren't that bothered about funding others. At least they are honest to me about it.
  • mollycat
    Options
    No. Be honest and fight your corner I say.

It's what happens anyway. You don't think Londoners worry about inner Glasgow do you?

The thing is the people who post the stuff you are responding to don't even worry about their fellow Scots, or respect their democratic right to have an opinion.

It's, "we want Independence and damn the consequences".

55% of people voted No in 2014, but it's like that never happened.

(Hey, it's all different now because of Brexit...Yeah, right!! :rotfl:)

Hundreds of thousands voted Leave...they don't seem to count either.

Pro Indy posters on here seek to influence rUK contributors with waffle and "debate", for us up here that disagree it's out and out contempt that's meted out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure