Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3

Options

Comments

• onomatopoeia99
    Options
    Lambyr wrote: »
    Some men who aren't really sexist have difficulties in sparking up a conversation with women
    This is certainly true, there are a good number that have all male friends and seem to have no common ground on anything when talking to women, beyond a cursory discussion of the weather. One wonders what they talk to their wives / partners about :eek:

I'm not one of those, I just have trouble with people I don't know, male or female!
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Izadora
    Izadora Posts: 2,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Reply to Lambyr I don't know if it'll make you feel any better but it's probably even longer than 10 years since I last went to a dentist. I used to have one that I liked but I got taken off their books because I hadn't booked an appointment for a certain amount of time - they stopped sending reminders so I was past the cut off point when it occurred to me - and he wasn't taking on new patients. I went to a different dentist, hated every second of it and haven't been back since.
    I know that I should go but am also worried about the lecture that I'd get, and the fact that I know that I'm likely to end up telling them that they shouldn't make it so bl00dy difficult to find someone who's taking on patients if they actually want people to go to the dentist...
    Anyway, good luck and I hope it all goes better than you're imagining
  • tea_lover
    tea_lover Posts: 8,261 Forumite
    Options
    Penguin reply
    It's nearer 15 years for me. I know I need to go but, as you say, I just cannot face the telling off that I know I'm in line for.
    End penguin.
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    Penguin to Lambyr
    I haven't been for over 15 years. It has a lot to do with me treating like the doctor, I only go when there's a problem.

My experience has not been good, when I got my first filling at age 16 I wasn't offered anesthetic, he just drilled. And drilled, and drilled. Once he was through the enamel I screamed the place down until my lungs were empty of air, it is the worst pain I have experienced in my life, by a very long way..

When he told me I needed another a year later, I insisted on having the injection. He seemed surprised. Once I left home for university I stopped going until I bought a house with the ex, since she had children so we all went when they had their six month checkups. Anyway, to get to the point(!), this dentist was completely relaxed and non-judgmental about me not having seen anyone for several years and said they wouldn't even have filled the cavities where my fillings were nowadays as they were so small that they weren't a problem. So hopefully whoever you see will be the same.

Ultimately, if you get someone that's pompous and condescending then don't use them again.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • tea_lover
    tea_lover Posts: 8,261 Forumite
    Options
    Fwiw lambyr, I have no problem at all with gynae appointments (the one advantage of IVF is that it quickly cures you of any doctor shyness :D).... but have put off the dentist for flipping ages :rotfl:.

Good luck x
  • Izadora
    Options
    Reply to Lambyr It sounds like it went a lot better than you'd feared and it's probably a very good thing that they took the tooth out straight away because at least it means you didn't have time to work yourself up about it while you waited for it to happen.
    Hopefully you'll still be as okay with everything once the drugs wear off :D
    End reply

C-Word (not the edible one) penguin I know that really and truly it's way too early to be planning Christmas but I needed to know where we'd be (IzHe's family are about 100 miles away) so that I know whether or not I need to book leave. I figured that we'd be going to his family this year, for many reasons too boring to go into, but it looks like we're actually going to have his mum with us, which means we'll have my folks and brother round as well so it looks like I'm going to be cooking Christmas dinner for 6 people :eek:
    I like cooking and I know that really and truly it's just a big roast but my mum always goes very much overboard and does dinner with all the trimmings so it's a scary amount to try to live up to!!
    End penguin.
  • Izadora
    Options
    C Reply14 people!!! You deserve a medal!! I don't think you could fit that many people in our flat and you certainly couldn't fit enough into our oven to feed that many!!!
    Seeing as I can sometimes struggle to get everything cooked in our oven for 2 of us (it is a pretty poor oven, it's not fan and if you have things on more than one shelf only the stuff at the top cooks properly) so I'm worrying about how on earth to juggle everything about to get it all cooked and hot at the same time. I think there might be a lot of microwaving going on :-)

It also doesn't help that I'm vegetarian so have to cook separate pigs in blankets (quorn in quilts for me...) and then a couple of different non-meat mains too - which everyone else has a bit of as well!!
  • jobbingmusician
    Options
    I was going to post and say that I think dentists have improved over the last 10 years and that they now tend to realise that making patients feel bad isn't actually very productive! (Also you pay them so much nowadays, even under the NHS, that they do treat you with a bit more respect.)

This is related to something I meant to post on this thread which I found interesting at work today. My counselling manager has been on a training course for something called Compassion Focused Therapy, which does sound like a really good idea, to me. Apparently these therapists have realised that quite a lot of MH treatments and programmes make people feel bad and guilty about their problems (I'm sure being given a diagnosis of PD doesn't help, for example). CFT helps people to recognise and build on their strengths, rather than focusing on weakness and inadequacy, and works very hard on helping people to love themselves (which we could all do with more of!)

So my message to everyone today, including me, is STOP BEATING YOURSELF UP and VALUE YOURSELF! :happyhear:happyhear:happyhear
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • faerielight
    Options
    Thanks WAS for sharing that about your DID therapist and thanks izadora for the photobucket advice :) here's some pics of my recent adult colourings, as they are really helping my mental health and a [pic of my 3 fur babies 1st time posting pics so please be nice :) and let me know if there's a max photos etiquette.. the sea faerie is the latest one and 1st time I've coloured a face :)
    WP_20160802_17_51_28_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160731_17_19_11_Pro%202.jpg

WP_20160822_14_20_06_Pro.jpg

WP_20160909_18_38_30_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160902_19_01_47_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160919_12_03_53_Pro.jpg
    http://s614.photobucket.com/user/bluebellegirl/media/DSCF0786.jpg.html
    DSCF0786.jpg
    Many thanks to all who contribute on MSE :)
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I love those pictures, faerie
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback